Priceline Hotel: Help ID 3.5* NYC Times Sq Theatre District 12/22/17-1/2/18

startravel
By startravel,
in

I'm seeing on PRICELINE EXPRESS (please confirm that the correct dates are showing on the detail page for the listing after clicking on the link below.)

3.5* Times Square - Theatre District for $199
Free Internet
Indoor or Outdoor Pool
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities
>>>A guess would be the Room Mate Grace.

I'm seeing on HOTWIRE:

4* Times Square North for $176.00
Pet Friendly
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
==>  My guess here would be the Sheraton.

Would either of these possibilities be of interest? If not, please let us know more about what you are looking for (acceptable zones, desired max budget and any other factors) and we would be happy to research and offer other suggestions.

Thank you for keeping us updated and please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Hi Aaron.  Thanks for the response.

The dates are showing correctly on the link you provided for the property on PL.  That doesn't seem like much of a deal.  I can book a standard queen directly with Room Mate Grace for a total of $2627.  The PL total is $2613.  :(  It has great reviews, but the rooms seem a little on the small side.  The location is great though.

The HW property listing says it has a Tripadvisor rating of 3.5, but the Sheraton has a rating of 4.0.  Do you still think that it's the Sheraton?  The location is just ok for me.  I would prefer to be a little closer to the theatre district.

The purpose of my trip is to see theatre.  I will be seeing 1-2 shows a day, so being centrally located close to the Broadway theatres is my goal.  Would love to be able to pop back to the hotel between the matinee and the evening performance for a little rest/relaxation before dinner.  I will be spending most of my time in the Times Square area other than journeying down to Christopher Street to meet friends after the shows.

For HW, the zones that would work for me are Times Square South and North.  Would potentially consider Rockefeller Center, Central Park South and Theatre District/Midtown West depending on the exact location of the hotel.

For PL, Times Square Theatre District would be my preferred zone.  Would potentially consider Rockefeller Center, Central Park South and Midtown West depending on the exact location of the hotel.

My budget ideally would be $2000 total, but that seems unrealistic so I was thinking of going up to $2500 but that is an uncomfortable stretch but I will do it if I have to.  I would consider splitting my stay into 2 properties if it would save some money.  It seems the New Year's weekend is the highest priced nights of my stay.  I think I may have waited to long to start looking for a property to get the best price.

I was also considering booking a condo, but am a little nervous if it was cancelled for any reason I would be left high and dry.

I would appreciate any advice you have to offer.  Thanks!

I'm very familiar with NYC and will offer some thoughts and ask a few questions...

1 hour ago, startravel said:

depending on the exact location of the hotel.

What is the location that you do want? (and why?)

1 hour ago, startravel said:

I would consider splitting my stay into 2 properties if it would save some money.  It seems the New Year's weekend is the highest priced nights of my stay.  I think I may have waited to long to start looking for a property to get the best price.

You're not too late (and perhaps a bit early) but that doesn't mean you shouldn't pick up a great deal if you find one.

... and i think this stay is an ideal candidate for SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID as chances are that the hotel with the best deal over New Year's Eve is not necessarily going to be the hotel with the best deal over the entire 10+ days.

Let's start with your thoughts as to only staying in the Times Square (and/or the immediate surrounding area) and we'll take it from there.

Also, have you been to NYC before or is this your first visit?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ideally, I would love to be somewhere between 43rd to 48th and between Broadway and 8th Ave.  As I am going to be seeing lots of shows, it makes it more convenient to the majority of theatres.   I hope to do some rush/lottery as well for some of the shows, so I may be going to theatres up to 3 times in one day and I have found it easier to pop out of my hotel and get in line before 8am if I am only a couple blocks away.  I have been to NYC a lot.  I usually stay in this area.  I have probably stayed in about 15 properties in this area, several of them multiple times.  I am not going to be doing any sightseeing.  Basically my days will be in the Times Square area.  At night after my shows, I take the subway down to Christopher Street and meet my friends at a bar.  

My favorite properties are the Hilton Garden Inn on 8th and 49th, The Belvedere, the Westin Times Square and the Millenium Broadway.

At the moment it would appear that you're going to need to be flexible in either budget or location... Times Square for your complete stay will likely run you in the $2300-$2400 all-in range; you could get this closer to $2000 if you're willing to stay further away (such as Lower East Side, Soho, WTC, etc)

Using our sister site RefundableRates.com i searched within '3 miles' of 'Times Square New York City' and then filtered to only show 3.5* and higher hotels.  There were still a LOT of hotels o the map in the area so i further used the price slider to only show hotels that were priced $250 or less.

For your complete stay i found the following, both of which are refundable up until a few days before your arrival (confirm cancellation terms and dates on the landing page of the provided links):

New York Hilton for $224/nite

Doubletree Times Square West for $220/nite (this one gets GREAT reviews)

You could use either of these as a back-up while you wait out (hopefully) better prices in the future.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 month later...

I decided to rent an apartment studio I found for $100 per night.  It is  a little further out than I want (it is on 58th St), but I am saving almost $1400.  I figure for that much money, I can take cabs if it's cold out and I don't want to walk.  Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it!

Glad you found something that works for your needs this trip.

Thank you for closing this thread with  your decision.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]