Question about Hotwire Express Deals

Adam81980
By Adam81980,
in

Occasionally I use HOTWIRE Express deals when I travel. Doing my research and using this site,  I've gotten pretty good at predicting which hotels I might get. 

However, I've got a few questions.  

When i search 'Hotwire Express Deals' within a select city, the search results will come back.  

While scrolling down the listings, most show the price followed by the percent off the average nightly rate. However, usually there are a few offerings that show only the price. (The crossed out average nightly rate and the percent off is missing)

The last two times I've booked these deals, after the hotel is revealed, I've gone to the hotel's website to compare  my HOTWIRE Deal per night rate, with what the property is asking if I had booked directly with them.  I've then found my 'Express Deal' rate per night was actually the same price the hotels were asking themselves.  

In in the end, I saved no money and didn't get any deal at all. 

What are these? Are they just mixed in with the offerings that truly are discounted? If I see an EXPRESS Deal that's missing the crossed out average rate per night and the percent off, can I assume this isn't a deal at all, and it's just a standard rate hotel thrown in the mix to make you book and think you're saving money?

Also, just recently, I've noticed when looking at these deals, there will be a banner at the bottom of the page saying "Last Person to take this deal got ---------" (on two of these banners I've seen, I know for a fact which hotel the deal applies to. And it's the same one the banner is saying the last guests booked who took the deal). Why would they identify the property for you? 

The crossed out rate is an average price of hotels of this star rating in the zone for your dates, NOT necessarily the rate of the hotel currently being offered. (so is not really a very meaningful bit of information, imo)

The "Last person got __" information is relative to the last person who bought a hotel of this star rating in the zone, not necessarily in relation to the specific hotel currently being offered.

If you'd like help for an upcoming trip please post the details of your stay / hotel offers (star rating, city, zone, room rate per nite, dates of your stay, and the amenities associated with the offer) and we will try to assist and help you land a more satisfactory outcome.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

PS- if you haven't seen it yet, check out our new IS THIS A GOOD PRICE?? feature next to each offer in the EASY VIEW tab of our BiddingHelper.com, as it sounds like it's something that you already try to use in your research, but we have put it all in one place for you to make it easy.:smile:

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]