Priceline Hotel: 4.5* Chicago (Downtown - River North) Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel

EGTravel
By EGTravel,
in

I am planning a trip to Chicago 3/2-3/5 and have heard we should stay in River North. I would like to get the most bang for my buck,  and it looks like hotel rates are fairly low for my dates. I found the below amenity set when using the bidding helper, but when searching from my desktop I see the same hotel but the TA star rating is 4/5 and it says there are 101-300 reviews on TA...I find nothing that matches that number and meets the same criteria.

4.5 Star Chicago River North 3/2-3/5 $78/night

Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Indoor pool(s), Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Self-service laundry, Internet access, Spa services

Welcome to Betterbidding.

Unfortunately, that listing has not yet been ID'd/reported and I believe the TA rating may be an error.

Some of what I'm seeing:

PRICELINE EXPRESS (please confirm that the correct dates of travel are showing after clicking the links below.)

4.5* Downtown - River North for $81
Pets Allowed
Restaurant
Indoor or Outdoor Pool
Fitness Center
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities
>>>Possible Palomar. Honestly, if this is the Palomar, that would be a very well-reviewed hotel and at the center of the River North area, plus next to a subway station.

4.5* Downtown Chicago - Millennium Park for $97
Pets Allowed
Restaurant
Free Internet
Fitness Center
>>>Possible Virgin Chicago

HOTWIRE:

4.5* Magnificent Mile  - Water Tower for $78.00
Pet Friendly
Boutique
Indoor Pool
Smoke Free
Fitness
Pool
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Spa
Childrens Activities
==>  W Lakeshore would be my guess.

As someone very familiar with the area, I'd also second the recommendation of staying in River North.

Please let us know if you have any questions before booking. I'd also be happy to answer any Chicago city questions.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thank you so much! I was tempted to book the Hotwire one just to see what it was, but it keeps saying the last person to book got the Godfrey...though I do not know how accurate that is. I am planning on booking in the next few days, and just saw Hotwire added a coupon code for $25/off and added another hotel that shows the last winner as receiving the Chicago Athletic Association. Is this a hotel you would recommend? I am partial to staying River North, but Chicago Athletic keeps coming up on suggestions as well. I would love your suggestions on what to do while in Chicago, we really have nothing planned. I think we will try to go to a few museums, as a Bank Of America account holder I will get free admission to almost all the museums and the Shedd Aquarium since it is the first weekend of them month, a perk I just learned about. Between the Art Institute and Museum of Contemporary Art which do you prefer? Thoughts on Shedd? We also plan on having Chicago style pizza while in town, and maybe one nice dinner at a steakhouse? Would like any/all restaurant recommendations or must haves. We will probably only do one nice meal and the rest somewhat casual. Is a Eataly a must do? Sorry for all the questions!

Below is what I am seeing on Hotwire today for 2 adults, 3/2-3/5

4.5 Star $102 Loop--Theater District

Free Internet, Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Internet access

4.5 Star $91 North Loop-Riverwalk

Free Internet, Pet friendly, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Golf nearby

4.5 Star $78 Magnificent Mile- Water Tower

Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Indoor pool(s), Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Spa services, Children's activities

4.5 Star $79 River North

Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Indoor pool(s), Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Self-service laundry, Internet access, Spa services

• 2 weeks later...

AAronJB I may not be doing this correctly so I am not sure if you saw my post from the 14th. It looks like most of those hotel are no longer available, so I plan to start my search over. I have been waiting for Palomar to return to Priceline/Hotwire, with no luck so far. I also came across what I believed to be the Dana Hotel and was interested in that. Of the 4.5 star hotel is River North, it seems like everyone gets either The James or the Godfrey, how are those in terms of location? I was interested in the Dana or any other 4* hotel that has great reviews and a good location. Based on Bidding Helper below is what is currently available:

4.5* Mag Mile- Water Tower $74

Free Internet, Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Golf nearby, Children's activities, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower

4.5* Mag Mile- Water Tower $119

Pet friendly, Indoor pool(s), Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Golf nearby, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower

4.5* River Walk - North Loop $93

Free Internet, Pet friendly, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Golf nearby

4.5* River North $86

Free Internet, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Internet access, Spa services

4* River North $64

Free Internet, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Self-service laundry, Internet access, Golf nearby, Spa services, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Wheelchair accessible, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower

4* River North $83

Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower

I'm sorry we missed your post from 2/14.  Usually we are very good about making sure all posts are replied to, but occasionally one does slip thru the cracks. (we usually say if your post is not replied to within 24 hours to give it a new reply so that it goes back into the queue to be reviewed)

On 2/13/2017 at 7:22 PM, AaronJB said:

4.5* Downtown - River North for $81
Pets Allowed
Restaurant
Indoor or Outdoor Pool
Fitness Center
>>>Possible Palomar. Honestly, if this is the Palomar, that would be a very well-reviewed hotel and at the center of the River North area, plus next to a subway station.

1 hour ago, EGTravel said:

I have been waiting for Palomar to return to Priceline/Hotwire

If this was a hotel that you wanted why didn't you take it when offered above?

As you can see the offers (and prices) can change quickly, so you should be ready to commit if a good deal appears for your dates at a hotel you want.

Ignore the "The last person got ___" information as it is relative to the last person who bought a hotel of this star rating in the zone, not necessarily having anything to do with the underlying hotel currently being offered (so the "last person got" property is a possibility since it is a hotel of that star rating in the zone, but is not really saying anything about the underlying hotel currently being offered to you)

Given your plans... the museums and aquarium are in the southern part of 'downtown' (south of the river) where as most of the 'action' is in the northern part of 'downtown' (north of the river)... so i think you need to make some sort of decision if you're looking to be closer to the shopping, restaurants, nightlife, etc OR closer to the museums/aquarium that you are planning on visiting.  This will also give AaronJB more information to go on to advise once he sees this thread.

Although i will add that i am seeing this one (confirm your dates on the landing page of the link provided below):

4.5* Downtown - River North for $88
Pets Allowed
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
Fitness Center
==> best guess here would be The James, which was also just recommended in another thread:

On 2/20/2017 at 5:36 PM, AaronJB said:

==>  James has been seen with this amenity set previously, so that would be my guess. Personally, this would seem like a very appealing option; that's a very nice hotel for under $100 and in a terrific, central location. 

This would put you in the heart of the city (it's just north of the River, so you can easily access things to the north as well as easily walk south to the Art Institute (about 20 minute walk... half that if you take the train or bus)... the Aquarium is further south and you would probably want to bus/taxi there unless you enjoy longer walks; as noted above, you have to make some choices as there won't be one location that is near everything you want to do

If looking for a high-end steakhouse there are many to choose from but Gibson's is a Chicago classic (it was close to our hotel so we chose that one and enjoyed your meal)... for deep dish Chicago there is the original Uno's (first location), Due's (their second location), Lou Malnati's, Giordano's, and Gino's East which all are usually among those mentioned when discussing the 'best' Chicago deep dish.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know your thoughts in regards to location and/or your thoughts on The James above (or how it goes if you decide to take that offer)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Glad to see you were able to get a good deal at this property and are looking forward to your trip.

Have a great stay!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]