Have star ratings gone up for no apparent reason?

KatiesMom
By KatiesMom,
in

I think there are a few factors at work...

When PRICELINE first started they used a 'Resort' rating which eventually evolved to a 4.5* rating, but there were almost no hotels of this rating in NYC (the example you asked about) so ultimately there were no 4.5* hotels in NYC upon this conversion.  Upgrades have been happening overtime on a case-by-case basis, so perhaps only now are you seeing a significant number of hotels at this category (since even after 1-2 hotels were upgraded, there wouldn't be won very often).  As well, the 'opaque' business model has now been proven, and more higher end hotels (ie- 4.5* and 5* properties) are joining the system.  Early on there were resistance from the higher end properties as they were concerned with tarnishing their brand.  I think this is a welcomed change since there used to be a lot of variation at the 4* level, so having a 4.5* category narrows what is expected at the 4* level and what is expected at the 4.5* level.

For HOTWIRE, about 3 or so years ago they totally revamped their star rating system, actually lowering many star ratings, as they had a reputation for being too generous in their star ratings, so now they are more inline with most other travel sites.

I hope the above answers your question(s).

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

What I was referring to was hotels being given higher star ratings for no apparent reason, including former 4* hotels now being ranked 4.5*. It seems to me the criteria has changed to bump up star ratings. I understand star ratings may fluctuate following a remodel, but I don't think that's the case for most of them. I used to be a New York City Destination Expert on TripAdvisor years ago, and I remember so much negative feedback about some of these hotels. Shocked they've had their star ratings elevated. 

A few Hotwire examples:

4* Hudson used to be 3* (Currently ranked 370 out of 477 on TripAdvisor, scathingly bad reviews, tiny rooms, has been for years. Never 4* caliber)

4* Roosevelt used to be 3* (Currently ranked 368 out of 477 on TripAdvisor, dreadful reviews, tiny rooms, has been for years. Never been 4* caliber)

4.5 * Le Parker Meridien used to be 4*

4.5* Algonquin was either 3* or 4*, I don't remember, but it wasn't 4.5*

4.5* Intercontinental the Barclay used to be 4*

4.5* Royalton used to be 4*

4.5* Sofitel used to be 4* I stayed there when it was 4* on Priceline, I think.

4.5* Novotel Times Square I recall this as being 3.5*

It's always a matter of caveat emptor when buying opaque properties, all the more so now with these star ratings.

Most of those hotels have been at those rating for at least 2+ years (maybe even closer to 4-5 years).

The InterContinental Barclay was upgraded more recently after their renovation (and the reviews have been excellent since that time)

I agree that the Roosevelt and Hudson are over rated (although most sites, including PRICELINE, put these properties at the 4* level too).

HOTWIRE star ratings are actually more accurate now then they have ever been (which is not to say that you won't find some examples of what most would consider to be an inaccurate star rating, but years ago HOTWIRE was consistently a half to a full star higher on a large number of properties... now the majority of HOTWIRE star ratings are inline with most other sites).

The HOTWIRE EASY VIEW and PRICELINE EXPRESS tabs of our BiddingHelper.com now include a new feature "Is This is a Good Price??" which makes it easy to get a feel for what HOTWIRE (or PRICELINE) consider to be hotels of that star rating within each zone.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]