Priceline Hotel: 3* Portland (Lake Oswego - Tigard) Courtyard By Marriott Portland Tigard

chobo2
By chobo2,
in

Hi

I think I am going to try to bid o PRICELINE. I been looking at strategies to rebid before 24 hours. I am looking at Portland Oregon Northwest Area(labeled 15 on their map). I am looking at 3 stars hotels. I looked at all areas and found that only 1 area has something that has no 3 star hotels(2.5 and below).

So according to the strategy I get one extra bid per 24 hours. As first I bid on the one area I want at 3 stars and if I lose I then add this other area in but don't check anything(just leave area 15 check). This way it will just look at Northwest area gain.

Is this correct?

If so the one thing that concerned me is when I was just doing a sample test. I check both are districts and only checked 3 star area. I noticed that all the amenities for the 3 star area disappear and only had a rating of 8. Is this normal for the amenities to disappear when you do this?

Can you please start by following-up your previous Hotwire Reno thread with whatever you ended up doing for that trip.  Please remember to follow-up your threads with your wins/decisions as you make them (even if you don't ultimately use PRICELINE / HOTWIRE, cancel the trip, book direct, etc) as this help keep the board better organized and more useful for everyone... as well as being a courtesy to anyone who took the time to help with your travel plans.

All of the information you posted above seems correct/normal.

What are the date(s) of your stay?  How much is it that you're thinking of bidding?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I never ended up going to Reno. Can't remember the reasons why anymore. I keep wanting to use HOTWIRE / PRICELINE but never get a chance to use it for one reason or another. The new trip I am thinking of doing though I might have a chance to use it(I hope).

I am thinking of Dec 24th to Dec 27th.

I not sure how much to bid yet. 

What I sort of done so far was I went to Bing Maps(it seems like PRICELINE maps use here maps). I searched for all nearby hotels in the "northwest" district and then on  that map circled approximately the area as I saw on priceline. This gives me about like 4 to 6 possible hotels.

Was going to look at the prices and do an average or all the hotel prices and then maybe start at 40% less of that average and go up from there. I looked on pricelines express deals and the 3 star hotels was listed at 94USD and on hotwire that district area seemed to be 87USD.

I was first focusing on how to do the bidding, as like I said got a bit concerned when I added the other district that only had 2.5 star max and in the district I wanted "all the amenities disappear". Was not sure what that meant. If it meant that the "free parking" that I am interested in was no longer guaranteed or if that's just how the system just show amenities when 2 districts are chosen.

I still have to talk and confirm with my gf about everything though before I even attempt to bid. But before I talk to her I want to show her a list of possible hotels we might get. 

3 hours ago, chobo2 said:

I never ended up going to Reno.

Nobody reading your previous thread will know to look here to learn that you canceled the trip, please follow-up that thread.

If you want to discuss with your girlfriend you can start with the board's Priceline Hotel List.

Let us know once your plans are firm and we will have a look at rates for your dates at that time, as the hotels/prices currently offered may not be the ones that are available once your dates are firm and you're ready to move forward.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

Ok looks like we are going.

Dates December 24th 2016 to December 27th, 2016

I am looking at 3 start hotels in the NorthWest Portland area(15 on their map) as this is the closest area and star rating that offers free parking.

I am not sure if I did this right but I tried to map out the hotels on bing maps(priceline seems to use here maps)

<links removed>

I then went through each of hotels in the area and <links removed>

I then looked up how much each of those hotels would cost and how much the express deal in price line for that area and star level is

I thinking now to start my bid off at $71.

I think it will likely take closer to $85-95 than it will $71-$85, but if you want to give it a try you can start as follows:

When bidding 3* in this region you have ONE re-bid zone.  If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* Northwest Portland...

Bid $71, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected close browser and wait 2+ hours and once again use this link to access PRICELINE (and not the link in any emails PRICELINE may send information you that you're eligible to bid again)...

Bid $78, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected close browser and wait 2+ hours and once again use this link to access PRICELINE (and not the link in any emails PRICELINE may send information you that you're eligible to bid again)...

Bid $83, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85

Any questions feel free to ask (especially confirming you're re-bid zones if you're unsure or new to the subject).

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Looks like we will be going Dec 24th to Dec 27th.

Oh, you can now bid every 2 hours. I thought it was still every 24 hours.  If it gets to $95 then there is no point might as well use PRICELINE EXPRESS deal then.

To be clear, I first Bid I do zone 15(the zone I want), if I fail then I do zone 15 & zone 14(highest star rating is 2.5 stars) and I should only get zone 15 since I am looking for 3 star hotels. I just want to make sure as when I check both zone 14 & 15  the "free parking & all other amenities" disappears from the 3 star zone and I just see some "8" rating. Is this normal?

Is there a reason why my links where removed in my other post? 

There may be a point somewhere between $85-$95 where you want to continue bidding... or at some point take the PRICELINE EXPRESS offer if you know it has a good user review rating and the amenities that you want.

You have your re-bid zone correct... but always double check just before bidding to make sure that nothing has changed since you last checked.

Some zone details changing/removed (ie- Parking, review rating, etc) when adding a re-bid zone is normal, it's a flaw in the PRICELINE algorithm.

For a variety of reasons (security, ability for others to still view the information months/years into the future, etc) we don't allow links to hosted images.  If you have information to include please do so in text form.

Thanks.

What do you mean?  double check that nothing has changed? What should I be looking at(other than star rating). 

So if I do the re-bid strategy I will still get the free parking at the hotels in my zone. The flaw just a visual one? Or does it mean no guarantee in amenities anymore.

You need to check the star rating before each bidding cycle.  If you bid now and include a re-bid zones (b/c there are currently no 3* or higher rated hotels in that zone) and your bids are rejected, then 2+ hours from now (or tomorrow, the day after, etc.when you are ready to bid again) you need to double check just before bidding to make sure that no 3* (or higher) hotels have been added to the system in this zone or that a previously lower rated hotel in the zone has been upgraded.

I got up to $79 and it started to get to expensive with taxes(for some reason I thought since portland was no sales tax, there would be no hotel tax too)

So I pivoted and started trying for Tigard area for 3.5* as I had 10 bids according to my calculations.

I started at $50 and went up by $3 for each rebid. I am sitting at $77 and it failed. They offered me $91 and I would get it and $103 for my original area.

The PRICELINE EXPRESS deal for tigard is $84 for 3 stars(no 3.5 stars).

I really thought I would get it for $77 as now I am $14 dollars away from their $91 price which I am not sure is really a good deal or not.

So how is it that you'd like to proceed?

If you're unable to get a bid accepted at $75 or less do you want to increase your budget, lower your star rating, or consider other additional zones?

I am seeing the following thru HOTWIRE:

3* Lake Oswego - Tigard - Tualatin for $84.00
Complimentary Breakfast
Free Parking
Free Internet
Pet Friendly
Smoke Free
Fitness
Pool
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
Tennis
Kitchenette
Blind Accessible
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Handicapped Parking
Roll-in Shower
==> best guess here would be the Residence Inn by Marriott Lake Oswego, which includes both free parking and breakfast, should this work for your needs this trip

Let us know how it goes if you take the offer above or how you would like to proceed.

Well I think what you presented is an option.

Though I think I might as well try bidding for the 3.5* in Tigard to $84. Probably wont' get it but no harm in trying.

If I where to bid on 3 star hotel in Tigard I guess it would be possible to get that hotel? As it seems you are recommending to just do Hotwire. Is it because you belive that is the cheapest rate I will get or does that area not have good hotels for priceline bidding?

HOTWIRE and PRICELINE star ratings are not always the same. PRICELINE EXPRESS and HOTWIRE are generally slightly/moderately more expensive, but once you start getting into this sort of price range, the difference is not likely to be substantial. If PRICELINE EXPRESS or HOTWIRE show an appealing listing, you have to decide whether or not the savings that can be had via bidding are worth the risk. When you bid, you have to be willing to accept any hotel at that star rating in that zone - if a hotel is showing on PRICELINE EXPRESS or HOTWIRE, that does not necessarily mean that it is the hotel you will get via bidding.

Please let us know if you have any questions before booking.

With PRICELINE EXPRESS and HOTWIRE you have the ability to take a guess as to the hotel being offered, whereas with PRICELINE (bidding) there is no information given about a specific hotel that you're bidding on, so you need to be able to accept any hotel in the zone since it's not possible to take a guess beforehand.

Also, perhaps not a factor in this situation as you're simply looking for a deal and not necessarily trying to avoid any particular hotel, but with PRICELINE EXPRESS / HOTWIRE you're purchasing a specific hotel at a specific star rating, with PRICELINE NYOP your bid could be upgraded to a higher rated hotels.  So for example, if you're hoping to avoid certain 3.5* properties, you can't safely bid 3* since your bid could be upgraded to a higher rated 3.5* property... where if you purchased a 3* HOTWIRE or PRICELINE EXPRESS property it would be 3* rated (and safely avoid the higher rated hotels, if that was a concern)

Hope that makes it clearer.

Also, keep in mind that the 3* HOTWIRE offer could disappear at any time, so if you take your time bidding for a 3.5* in this zone (and fail), there is a chance that the 3* above could disappear in the meantime.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

How about if I did 3 star in Tigard area? What you figure I would pay for it?

Saw someone got a night for 57/night at Courtyard By Marriott Portland Tigard. I looked it up seemed like a decent hotel, Has free parking, internet.

The only thing I noticed is on priceline the 3 star hotel area does not guarantee internet. Is there actually hotels that still don't offer free wifi?

Otherwise I am looking at doing the $84 deal from hotwire. Seems like the next best option as it comes with free parking, breakfast and internet.

Ok

So I decided to try my luck with a 3 star hotel in Tigard area. I did a bid of $50 and got rejected. I bid $55 and it got accepted! I am pretty happy with this $90CDN per night for me.

I got the same hotel as the other guy:  Courtyard By Marriott Portland Tigard

And yes I went through the board PRICELINE links.

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you found something that will work for your needs and budget and that you're pleased with the results.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your purchase.

Have a great trip!

Yes pretty happy, though got one more question maybe you guys can answer. I went to hotels.com to check what the hotel is going for which is $84 but what I find weird is the taxes and fees are lower. How can that be? 

My taxes on PRICELINE ---> Taxes & Fees:$37.68

Hotels.com (same days) --> Taxes and fees$28.23

PRICELINE EXPRESS(3 star Tigard) ---> $38.91 ($1.23 more though hotel price is $84 which is $29 difference in price)

HOTWIRE for their 3 star Tigard area ($84/ night) is the worst @ $64.44 in taxes and fees

Every company determines their own booking fees.

Both PRICELINE and HOTWIRE don't charge any booking fees on 'regular rate' bookings (as this enables them to be competitive with other booking sites)... but both do charge a booking fee on the 'opaque' side of their service (which is more specialized, and therefore less competition, so they are able to charge a fee for this side of their service). 

Sometimes is costs money to save money.:wink:

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]