Priceline Hotel: Downtown Boston Hotel (10-24 to 10-26)

bcam9001
By bcam9001,
in

Hi,

Thanks for putting up such a helpful site.  I've used PRICELINE EXPRESS deals somewhat successfully in the past but had a question on timing.  When is the best time to book in relation to the trip (same day, week before, month before, etc)?

For this trip I'd like to stay in a 4* in or near downtown Boston.  I'm assuming Monday and Tuesday won't be extremely popular so my gut tells me to wait until same day.  Is this flawed thinking?  I realize there's risk in waiting but want to choose the option with the best statistical chance of success.  Thanks in advance and I'll be sure to use the links.

Thanks

Welcome to BetterBidding!

The 'general' answer is that there is no 'best' time... sometimes the best deals are seen as far in advance as possible, sometimes closer to check-in; it all depends on how supply / demand (new reservations and cancellations) which is something that can't necessarily be predicated.  It is often assumed (wrongfully, imo) that the best deals come at the last minutes as hotels would want to 'put heads n beds' at any price in order to fill an empty room, but this isn't true, as there is a lot more to hotel management than simply filling a room at the last minute... there are service levels and staffing concerns to think about as well (as a hotel that has scheduled staff based upon 50% occupancy can't suddenly fill the hotel to 80% occupancy).  Lastly, closer to check-in hotels can't use price as much to effect demand as most guests will already have their plans firm and in place (often past cancellation deadlines), so by lowering their prices they simply cannibalize the high margins they get from last minute walk-in customers.

Most specifically to your Boston trip...

For a city of it's size, Boston does not have a lot of hotel rooms, and even small increases in demand can cause a very sharp spike of prices.  Searching for your dates using our BiddingHelper.com tool (and using the filters in the PRICELINE EXPRESS and HOTWIRE EASY VIEW TABS) i see 4* hotels just outside of 'downtown' start at about $350+ and hotels more centrally located downtown are at $400+... so while you may not think that these dates wouldn't be extremely popular, the hotel pricing is saying otherwise.

What is your budget (per nite before fees/taxes) for this trip?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]