Help - Bidding LGB

dablackguy
By dablackguy,
in

First of all i want to say if this is in the wrong area, moderators please move this to the correct thread.

Ive used the PRICELINE link in past when bidding on here. Usually i get rock bottom rates because i only need a hotel to sleep a few ours each day. Its my first time attempting to bid for a car rental and I'm struggling to figure out what my ideal price should be.

Im Looking to book a car rental from LGB (Long beach Airport) in March 2017, but i dont understand how to how a daily bid price of $17 brings the taxes and fees to $79.55. Whats the tax % for car rentals?

Rental car taxes are usually very high as they are used to subsidize airport improvements.  Since most residents (who vote) in the area seldom, if ever, rent a car from their local airport, it's very easy for legislatures to propose an increase in tax on any rental cars at the airport to improve the airport itself (roads, runways, terminals, etc).

What are the actual dates of your rental and what vehicle class are you looking for?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Just to provide an example, this is what i'm seeing at one of the major car rental sites for your dates (the rate is irrelevant to my point, this example is to see just how many different fees/taxes there are):

Compact 2 or 4 dr.

Rate Details 1 week at 281.47 USD

Fees

Airport concession fee recovery 32.06 USD

Vehicle license fee recovery 7.14 USD

Customer Facility Charge 10.00 USD

California Tourism Commission Assessment 9.85 USD

Taxes 28.86 USD

Amount to be paid at time of rent 369.38 USD

Using the CARS button of our BiddingHelper.com tool, i'm seeing regular rates of about $31/day + $71 taxes = $284 all-in

How much of a discount would you need to make locking in a non-refundable reservation worthwhile at this point in time?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

With taxes/fees of nearly $75... that would only leave about $75 for your 7 day rental (or about $11/day) which does not seem likely given current prices are closer to $30+ per day.

I would book the best refundable rate that you can find at the moment, which would protect you from any price increases from here... then start lowball offers on PRICELINE about once per week, gradually increasing your bid price (and bidding frequency) as you get closer to your travel dates.

Keep us update on your progress and let us know whatever you ultimately decide to do for this renal or how we can be of further help along the way.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]