Priceline Hotel: Express 4* Hotel in Grand Central/UN 10/21-10/25 $169

grad_devil
By grad_devil,
in

Welcome (officially??) to BetterBidding!

As always, I'll use the board's links...

Thanks!  If you have previously used the board please begin to share your wins so that others can benefit from the information, just as you are hoping to gain insight from those who have posted before you.

In regards to the PRICELINE EXPRESS offer above, are you still seeing this one on your own search, as i'm not seeing any 4* hotel in this zone for $169/nite when searching for your dates.

I'm very familiar with NYC, if you let us know your budget (per nite before taxes/fees) and any specific needs you have for this trip, we can try to suggest what appear to be the best options based upon your needs.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the reply, thereuare!

I only saw that offer for a few hours yesterday, but if it dropped any more I was going to jump on it. It looks like today it's going for $200/night.

We have a hotel (Fairfield Queensboro Bridge) booked for this trip already, but I've been checking on PRICELINE EXPRESS for deals that might land us closer to midtown Manhattan, even though it doesn't look like we're that  far away in Long Island City. We're not interested in staying in Times Square, but somewhere midtown with close transportation (subway, primarily), some restaurants/cafes, and where we'll feel safe is all we're really looking for. It will be my first trip back to NY since I was a kid, so I want to feel like we're in NY without all of the tourist noise from Times Square. Sorry if that's not much info to go on!

Assuming taxes and fees for this stay will be around $180 (total), I think the nightly rate (max) would be $160, although we'd love to beat that so we can spend more money on food/shows/etc. I'm not averse to using NYOP, if I have some guidance from you all. I'd like to stay in 3.5* or 4*, if at all possible. Would accept a 3* if recommended from any of you all.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

While i understand that staying directly in Times Square isn't your first choice, i think it would be a better option than staying in LIC, especially for the 'NYC feel/vibe' that you're looking for.  As well, your chances of landing a hotel that is in the direct center of Times Square (like the Marriott Marquis) is very slim, and it's easy enough to avoid the throngs of people by using a side street to the next avenue instead of walking up/down Broadway.

With the above noted, i think you're about $10-$20/nite away from being able to get something really nice that would suit your needs well, but unfortunately at $160/nite (room rate) there really aren't many options directly in Manhattan.

What is your rate at the Fairfield Queensboro Bridge? (per nite before taxes/fees)  If you're flying in, which airport do you arrive at?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks so much for the feedback - very valuable!

2 hours ago, thereuare said:

With the above noted, i think you're about $10-$20/nite away from being able to get something really nice that would suit your needs well, but unfortunately at $160/nite (room rate) there really aren't many options directly in Manhattan.

I would probably go up $10/night, but that would be my limit. I'd like to keep the total under $875. At this nightly rate, would you recommend NYOP, or keep watching Express deals?

Also, as the dates draw nearer, do I have a better chance of winning a NYOP bid?

What is your rate at the Fairfield Queensboro Bridge? (per nite before taxes/fees)  If you're flying in, which airport do you arrive at?

Our total (Rate + taxes + fees) at the Fairfield is $820 for the 4 nights. We're flying in/out of JFK.

Thanks again for the assistance!

2 hours ago, grad_devil said:

Also, as the dates draw nearer, do I have a better chance of winning a NYOP bid?

If a hotel gets an unexpected increase in cancellations then you could see rates go down... but likewise if they book more rooms in the next few days then expected you could easily see rates rise.  However, the issue that you will have by bidding is that there are an increasing number of hotels in NYC that now charge resort fees, and this won't be included in your bid price (and payable directly to the hotel)... so i think you could exceed your budget if you happen to land a hotel that charges a resort fee.

This close to check-in hotels already know their occupancy levels and have scheduled staff accordingly, even if they could fill rooms with a very low rate (they can't, as most with travel plans already have their hotels secured, and even a 'good' rate will not prompt most people to take-off and make an impromptu vacation starting 3 days from now), they likely wouldn't since it could lead them understaffed and able to deliver services up to their standards. (as well as not wanting to cannibalize the rate for any last minute walk-in business)

With 3 days to go before your arrival i wouldn't try to get 'too cute' with this and would take any hotel in Manhattan that meets your needs and budget.

3* Empire State Building Area for $169 (confirm your dates on the landing page):
Pets Allowed
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities

==> my guess for this one would be the Nh Jolly Hotel Madison Towers, if this works for your needs, as it does come in at $845 all-in

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know whatever you decide for this stay or how we can be of further help.

This is excellent advice @thereuare. It makes perfect sense that I've waited too long to snag any kind of NYOP deal; I was hoping that they might be more desperate to fill a room, and therefore would be more likely to take my bid.

I wasn't really enamored with what I read about the Nh Jolly Hotel Madison Towers, so I think I'll stay with my original reservation and earn Marriott points; my wife and I don't get to use the subway where we live, so it's still a novel, enjoyable thing for the few days will be in NY.

Thanks for all your help and advice - next time I'll plan better.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]