Priceline Hotel: 5* New York City (Soho - Tribeca) Smyth Hotel a Thompson Hotel

j1moggie
By j1moggie,
in

I have used your site before with outstanding results.  I have read through the NYC threads and see that the NYC hotels are going the way of the Vegas hotels with super high "fees" "resort fees" blah blah.  I am wondering if you might have any information on which hotels charges these additional (and ridiculous) fees? 

Also, I will be traveling Oct 12-16th and am know that this is a VERY high season.  However, I will not be able to even begin looking for a hotel until we land in NYC because we are standby.  So my question is, is it super unlikely we might get a room (doesnt really matter where, just somewhere on the island), 5* for $300 a night?  Or should we lower our expectations to 4*? 

Thank you very much for any information you might be able to give me.  I will continue to follow to continue to make notes so I might have an idea what I am bidding on :).  

Cheers

Fees are not that common in NYC, but the number of hotels charging them have continued to gradually creep up, unfortunately. HOTWIRE lists potential fees on the detail page, as does PRICELINE EXPRESS. If there is a possibility that you can wind up at a hotel with a fee, you will see that noted during the bidding process on PRICELINE.

At this point - it may be VERY different in a week or on your day of arrival, there is no way to know - a 5* for $300 has a slight chance, but a 4.5* (HOTWIRE has a 4.5* in Chelsea for $240) or 4* for under $300 at this point is certainly doable. Inventory can easily change from day-to-day, especially with a large city like NYC.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance and if you do happen to get confirmation on the trip earlier than expected. We would be happy to help with the planning process for this stay - keep us updated on what you decided and definitely let us know if any additional questions come up.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I would like to tell you that I was very successful with your suggestions on bidding.  I am not sure how to change this thread to a "win" but here is what I did.  I choose to bid on a 5*, starting with Chelsea at $260, no go, then adding $265, no go, then adding harlem $270, no go, then adding grand central $275---WON.....soho, The Smyth $275 a night       10/13/16-10/16/16. Priceline:  Restuarant, Free Internet, Pets, Fitness Center, Non Smoking.  Absolutely amazing deal.  Again, thank you

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]