Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Springfield (South) La Quinta Inn and Suites

siuwed
By siuwed,
in

I bid up to $80 repeatedly at 2.5 star and above in this area, but due to a big event in town, all prices were elevated in the area.   Priceline showed express deal for this hotel at $99 per night, so I went to the Hotel's actual website and it showed EXACTLY the same price.    I chose to take it DIRECTLY from the hotel since it would be cheaper with no Priceline fees added in.   Plus I was able to get a $10 Military discount, which made it $89 plus tax, saved another ten going through the hotel site.

This is the second time this has happened in a month in Springfield, and I am noticing it every where I go now that I am paying attention.    Since the big companies have bought out Hotwire and Priceline, I have experienced several instances of buying through them, only to find that I would have gotten a better deal by going directly to the Hotel website.    Seems to be a trend of Pline or Hwire being a few dollars cheaper than the hotel site, but when you add in the extra $10 fee on top of taxes, it's not even cheaper.     And Pline and Hotwire really aren't very much cheaper to begin with any more,.  If they are, the hotel turns out to be a turd usually, and you are giving up amenities or area for that discount which in the end doesn't end up a great deal after all. 

Also I have noticed "Star Rating Creep", in that other sites list a hotel at a lower star rating than Pline or Hwire.   I had a dispute with Hwire recently in that I KNEW the hotel I won was not three star, because I had won it in the past at 2.5 stars, and I called them to dispute.   They kept me on hold for thirty minutes, then the representative I believe may have been in China and did not speak English well, and was very inflexible and not helpful in any way on the issue.  After another 30 minutes of arguing, she only offered me a "one time rebook" in a similar star hotel, but at $100 more in price.  No way was she willing to let go of my money since they had me locked in.   I finally gave up and she was happy with that.     

I know this is not a real "Win", but I think people should start paying attention this phenomenon, it seems like these companies have turned into profit maximization mode, and it warrants attention.    I have been an active contributor to BB for a good while, and I am only trying to look out for others.   Thank you.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, a few comments:

1) at the moment our BiddingHelper.com shows a 2.5* hotel in this zone for $63/nite, which is nearly a 40% discount to prevailing rates available to the general public (ie- non-military rates), which sort of negates your larger theory above (although not to say the savings were not there at the time you had booked, perhaps just unlucky in regards to what was available at that moment)

2) Smaller hotel markets have less competition and hotels don't need to discount as much, so in smaller or rural areas where there are not many hotels, you may not see as much of a discount as in other larger cities (such as NYC, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Chicago, etc) where the savings can still be quite substantial.  So in one area the discounts may have dried up a bit, there are other locations where there are still very deep and substantial savings to be had

3) some hotel markets have gotten stronger over the last few years, so in many instances occupancy rates are up and hotels are not willing to discount as deeply as they may have years ago.  In these instances, revenue models have also improved (with the increased processing power that computers have today vs. 10-15 years ago) so hotels are now able to better analyze data and adjust rates more frequently to maximize their revenues.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]