Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Chicago (Chicago Loop - Millennium Park) Congress Plaza Hotel

Iowa257
By Iowa257,
in

This is my first time trying to bid on PRICELINE. I've been bidding for weeks on downtown Chicago hotels (preferably in the Chicago Loop zone, but really open to anything downtown). I'm open to anything 2.5 stars or higher and I've bid up to $165 and have had no luck. Is the area just that expensive? Am I looking too far in advance? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Welcome to BetterBidding!

There is a 25K person conference taking place 10/15-10/18, and with many attendees arriving the nite before the conference starts, i assume this is (at least part of) the high rates you're seeing for these specific dates.

Are your dates flexible?  Have you thus far only bid for the Loop zone?  What others zones are acceptable?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Are you driving in or flying in? Downtown, you're probably looking at around $170-185 for a 3* (depending on zone) and probably $200-215 for a 4*. The North Suburbs (Northbrook-Glenview-Deerfield) are probably going to be $60-70 for a 3.5* (tiny bit higher for a 4*; there's a 3* on HOTWIRE for $49), but the trade off is about a 40-45 minute train ride (although the Metra trains are quite nice) each way. The suburbs also don't really work if you're not driving; it's not far from most hotels to a train station, but it's not walkable.

I'm very familiar with the area - let me know more about what you are looking for (such as desired max budget) and I'd be happy to research and offer suggestions.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

We are driving so we could stay in the suburbs but I'm trying to avoid too long of a train ride since we'll be getting back to the hotel very late that night. I'd be open to something more like a 20 minute train ride though. Any idea what zones that would put me in? Basically, I'm looking for something somewhat near the Private Bank Theatre and I'm willing to pay up to about $160 per night. I've seen a couple 1 or 2 star places that are cheaper but I'm a little hesitant not knowing what they are like. I would love any advice you may have!

The problem with Chicago is that once you leave the city, it's a while before there is much if anything in the way of hotels. Lincoln Park does have a few hotels, but downtown usually offers better deals. There's little competition in Lincoln Park and if there's a Cubs game, prices can be worse than downtown (or there's just no availability.) LP is $300+ on HOTWIRE for these dates. Evanston-Skokie is a little further than you want to be, but is the first area after getting out of the city of Chicago boundaries. Still, prices in Skokie aren't fantastic (Doubletree Skokie is $135, for example.) It's when you get beyond that area that the North suburbs (Glenview, Northbrook, Deerfield) that you get potential options under $75.

Downtown, I'm seeing a 3* in the River North area on HOTWIRE for $191 w/Boutique, Restaurant, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet. This listing has not yet been ID'd/reported, but a guess would be the Inn of Chicago with a new amenity set. I do see what appears to be the Travelodge downtown for $110, but I wouldn't recommend it. If that is something you would be interested in/okay with let me know and I'd be happy to point out which listing is which.

Thanks for your help! It sounds like anything downtown is going to be a little pricey. Do you know anything about Hotel Chicago in the Medical District? I'm seeing decent deals on that and it's only a couple miles from the theatre. Any thoughts on the Midway area? Prices look good there but I don't know if it's difficult to get transportation downtown from there. Thanks again!

Sorry to hear that the result wasn't what you'd hoped. Price-wise, good deal with the lowest reg rate being $233.

This is one of the oldest properties in the city and was built for the World's Fair in 1893.  The property has actually improved somewhat in recent years but still could use a renovation (and I think will eventually get bought at some point in the future - the location is too good, this happened down the street with Marriott and the similarly historic Blackstone, which fell into disrepair before it got a major renovation.) I'd suggest calling or writing the hotel and seeing if you couldn't get locked into a lake view room, which would at least add to the experience and provide some additional value.

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]