Priceline Hotel: 4.5* Chicago (Magnificent Mile - Gold Coast) Intercontinental Chicago

willman42
By willman42,
in

I normally do all this myself, but this is for my girlfriend's birthday so I want to make sure everything goes right :)

I want to stay in either Downtown - River North or Magnificent Mile because I've noticed there are a TON of good breweries in the North Chicago area and we plan on hitting those up for sure. Lincoln Park sector would be best for proximity to those, but I want to get a nice 4.5* hotel in a more exciting downtown area, so I'm willing to take a cab a few miles to the brews from Downtown.

I've seen quite a few people on here score a 4.5* Mag Mile hotel for anything from $85 - ~$140, which is a fine budget for me.

I understand there are 11 sectors in which I can safely re-bid, so what should be my starting bid, and what should be my increment? Is $85 a pie in the sky for these areas?

It's only a 2-night stay 8/26 - 8/28. I've had success in the past winning rooms the day of the stay (I know- I'm livin' life on the edge!), but being that this is my gf's birthday weekend, I'd rather not screw this up. So should I make the bids today, or is it perfectly fine to bid the day of/day before?

Thanks much,

William

Please provide a follow-up for your prior Key West Priceline thread (post what you decided for that stay within that thread, then reply to this thread and we would be happy to take a look at the above post.) Closing threads keeps the board organized and is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

I'll also note for this stay that perhaps PRICELINE EXPRESS or HOTWIRE would possibly be a better choice if you want to get everything just right. If you bid for a 4* North of the river, for example, are you going to be happy with any of the possibilities? Are you going to be spending a lot of time seeing sights or is this trip more focused on nightlife?  A lot of people don't pick Lincoln Park because it's certainly not centrally located in terms of sightseeing (and deals are difficult if there's a Cubs game), but it's a very nice option if you're looking for something different, as not only is there the Lincoln Park area, but Old Town is nice, as well. Lincoln Park offers a lot more in the way of unique/local shops and restaurants vs Michigan Ave. Lincoln Park also offers a lot of nightlife.

Rates are on the highish side for these dates - maybe some end of Summer trips to the city - but I do see options within your desired range. 

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Ok I provided my follow up to that thread, thanks for reminding me.

I know I said I wanted a certain degree of certainty with this trip, but both my girlfriend and I love the process of bidding on hotels and the excitement of doing it within 24 hrs of the stay, so just disregard what I said - I'm willing to play :)

I think the trip will be a lot of sightseeing, since we've never been before. Definitely want to get some authentic deep dish too ;) The "old town" scene sounds interesting though, but I think when we go on trips we like to treat ourselves a bit, especially since it's just 2 nights we can afford to stay at a place with a little higher nightly pricetag. So I still think we'll want a Downtown hotel, and just tackle the beast from there. Our nightlife is more low key- no clubs, more bars.

When bidding 4.5* in Chicago you have ELEVEN re-bid zones.  If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4.5* River North...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $103, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $108, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $110, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE..

Select 4.5* Mag Mile...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $103, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $108, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $110, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE..

Select 4.5* River North and Mag Mile...

Bid $113, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $118, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $123, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $128, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $133, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $138, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $140

Any questions feel free to ask.  Also, note that at current rates i think it will take all the way to near the end of the strategy to be successful.

Also, depending upon your age, you may or may not like this place:

Headquarters Beercade- River North

213 W Institute Pl

It's a bar serving mostly craft beers with video games/pinball from the 70's/80's (think games like Space Invaders, Galaga, Pacman, Tapper, etc)

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Tried re-bidding strategy from $75 - $115 with no luck. Closed browser/cleared browsing data, tried again but Priceline wouldn't let me bid for another 2 hours. I saw that the Express Deal was only about $15 more than my last bid anyway so I went with that.

TOTAL = $333.04 for 2 nights, after tax/fees.

Looks like a REALLY nice place! 

Congrats on your success.

Great win for this property and hope you are looking forward to your stay.

The property has some pretty fascinating history (http://www.icchicagohotel.com/History) and is in an excellent location right on Michigan Ave.

Can you confirm the amenities that were showing with this listing before purchase? Thanks.

Please also let me know if you have any city questions.

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]