Hotwire Hotel: Need help 4-5* NYC 10/27-10/30

kristinp12
By kristinp12,
in

Hey everyone,

I've read the beginners discussion board topics and am kinda understanding how this whole website works, but would love some help. I am traveling to NYC 10/27-10/30 with a total of 2 people. We would like to stay fairly close to Times Square as possible (as this is my first time in NYC). We're open to staying in Times Square, Midtown East, Midtown West, Bryant Park, and Grand Central. I currently have found a deal at The Westin New York Grand Central for $177 a night (which I think is pretty great right?), but with all of the taxes that fees (that I'm not use to) it comes out to about $228 a night. So I would love to find a hotel between $100-150. Is that even possible? I feel like NYC is a whole different planet. Thanks in advance for any help/insight!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Not sure if your plans are flexible at all, but typically Sunday nite is the least expensive nite for hotels as leisure visitors have already gone home and business travelers have not yet arrived, so you may find better pricing if you're able to switch your travel dates to 10/28-10/31.

The deal you have seems good enough, although the Westin is a touch far east (certainly do-able, but not as centrally located as it sounds like you would ideally want to be).

For your current dates I'm seeing HOTWIRE has the Wyndham New Yorker (confirm your dates on the landing page) for $160/nite... this property gets mixed reviews (mostly because it's an older, historic property, and many prefer the more modern properties which have recently been built in the city), but it is very centrally located.  I'm also seeing this on the 'opaque' side of HOTWIRE for $136/nite.

Alternately you could try bidding on PRICELINE for the lowest possible price but you would then need to be willing to accept any hotel in the zone at the star rating (or higher) that you bid.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed (as well as if your dates are at all flexible) and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

'Opaque' means that you're buying the hotel without knowing the name of the property (we refer to 'retail' as a more traditional hotel booking where you know the name and the price of the property)

Unfortunately the $136/nite rate is no longer available (it was on the 'opaque' side of HOTWIRE) and the retail rate of $160/nite is no longer available either :sad:, looks like this property has raised rates in the last 24 hours... although i am seeing it (i believe) for $189/nite with this 4* MSG hotel (confirm your dates on the landing page); not sure if you prefer this property over your back-up at The Westin.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know whatever you decide to do for this trip or how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Just like 'regular' hotel prices, opaque rates can move up or down... or the offer can disappear entirely.

If the Westin is fully refundable i would book that in the meantime (as you have nothing to lose and it protects you from rates moving higher), but i'll add that i'm also seeing what looks like the 4.5* Warwick for $197/nite... a little more than the Westin but is higher rated and gets very good reviews, should this be of any interest (and less than a 10 minute walk to the top of Times Square)

Keeps updated on your progress and whatever you decide to do for this trip or let us know how we can be of further help.

Unfortunately, a slowly increasing amount of properties do charge resort fees in NYC. However, HOTWIRE and PRICELINE EXPRESS generally do list fees, allowing users to know before they buy and consider comparable properties taking the fee into account.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]