Hotwire Hotel: 2 Day family stay in Boston - 3-4* Hotel

rune7
By rune7,
in

Hi,

We're looking to stay 2 nights in Boston as part of our trip in north east coast. We will be traveling by car. 

Preferably looking for 3-4* hotel with a good access to the attractions in the center but avoid traffic and parking issues.

Where would you recommend we aim our bidding?

What are the dates of this leg of your trip?  Are they firm and you're ready to move forward with a purchase for this part of your trip?

Do you already have a back-up reservation for these dates?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Where and how much is your back-up hotel? (have you also tried searching/using RefundableRates.com?)

On 8/13/2016 at 5:47 AM, rune7 said:

Preferably looking for 3-4* hotel with a good access to the attractions in the center but avoid traffic and parking issues.

Not really clear on your goal for this stay.  Are you looking to stay outside of the city and commute in via train OR are you looking to stay within the city itself?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

We have two back-ups. One outside for about 200$ and one in the center (more or less) for 350$. 

Will look into refundable rates site.

We don't know where it is better to stay. This is why we asked. We aim to take the regular freedom trail and visit the aquarium and perhaps go to the universities for a visit. that's about it.

We have a car since we just pass through Boston for two days on our way north. so this may be a factor.

If its easy to stay out side the center and get to the center by train, than that's the option we want. If coming from outside the city is a big headache in Boston and its better to drive there, than we would prefer closer to the center. I hope this helps.

30 minutes ago, rune7 said:

I don't understand what does it matter.

By knowing the back-up hotel and price it helps us evaluate the other options and know what it is that we're 'trying to beat'... maybe the hotel(s) you have are the best you can do, maybe it's one of the better hotels (or one of the worst) in the area of that star rating, maybe it's one of the better hotels (or one of worst) in the area in terms of location, or maybe we find something that is a better option to use as a back-up (or as a 'permanent' replacement).  Without knowing what you have actually reserved we can only guess and have nothing to compare to and use as a basis.

We've helped people land good deals on hotels more than a few times before (and i would say we've gotten pretty good at it :smile:) so let's try it our way for a bit and see if we can make some better progress...

As per your Hotwire NYC hotel thread i assume you need 2adults/2children for this trip as well? (you never mentioned more than double occupancy above)

22 hours ago, rune7 said:

Crowne Plaza Boston - Woburn

I don't think this hotel is near any T station stop and if you're planning on taking mass transit into the city (to avoid congestion and parking charges) it looks like you're looking at 2-3 different modes of transportation and over an hour to 'Boston Common' and the heart of the city.

For $189/nite i'm seeing what looks to be The Inn at Longwood Medical which would have you to the same location in about 25 minutes.

Closer to the city you can get the Seaport Boston Hotel (very highly rated and well reviewed) for $245/nite which would have you near the convention center... about 20 minute commute to Boston Common (or a 30 minute walk depending upon the age of your kids)

Lastly for about the same price, $249/nite, i'm seeing what looks like the Onyx Hotel, which is a Kimpton property and gets good reviews, and would have you very centrally located.

Do any of the above seem to work for your needs/budget?  Unfortunately with regular hotel rates in the $200-$350 range (as per your back-up reservations) something in the $100-$150 range does not seem possible unless you are indeed interested in staying well outside of the city.  It's going to come down to a trade-off between budget and convenience and what type of experience it is that you are looking for/expecting from this leg of your trip.

Let us know your thoughts on the above and we'll take it from there.

Thanks, I did not check how to get to the center from Crown Plaza. Indeed we are with two kids so we need easy access (just metro for example would be good).

I'm seeing 3.5* in Needham - Dedham - Canton area for 121$. is that a good place to stay in or a problematic one (too far or unsafe etc)?

5 hours ago, rune7 said:

I'm seeing 3.5* in Needham - Dedham - Canton area for 121$.

Using the EASY VIEW TAB at BiddingHelper.com, click the GREEN "See All Amenities" button next to this listing and copy/paste the amenities so we can try to determine which hotel this may be and how it will work for your plans.

The hotel full list is:

FULL AMENITIES: Free parking, Free Internet, Indoor pool(s), Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business center, Self-service laundry, Internet access, Golf nearby

But the question is more general - is Needham-Dedham-Canton area a good solution for traveling to Boston or is it too far to be practical? 

9 hours ago, rune7 said:

But the question is more general

Again, i think you're going about this the wrong way... this zone is about 6 miles long, so your transportation options will be very different if you land a hotel in the northern part of the zone vs. the southern part of the zone vs. if the hotel is adjacent to a subway station.  Why settle for general information when you can get more specific than that? (based upon our guess of hotels being offered in the area)

As per the Hotwire Hotel List the amenity set above matches previous reports for the  Four Points by Sheraton Norwood, which according to Google would be 1hr 10min - 1hr 37 trip to Boston Common, including 20-40 minutes worth of walking (something you probably don't want to do with 2 kids in tow)... so i suspect this zone would indeed be too far to be able to easily commute to 'downtown' via mass transit.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

I see. In that case I think our preferred location to stay would somewhere north of Cambridge. Preferably close to a T line or other mass transportation line. We have a car but I understand Boston traffic is a mess. I think we have no choice but to accept around 1h commute to the city center.

BTW, I saw there are boat rides from Salem that take about 1h to Boston. Would that be a good alternative as well?

4 hours ago, rune7 said:

BTW, I saw there are boat rides from Salem that take about 1h to Boston.

Go look at the costs (which is the first step you should do when considering this as an option)... you would be better to put this money towards a hotel room, have the  convenience of staying locally, and avoid the commute.

On 8/14/2016 at 11:45 AM, rune7 said:

We have two back-ups. One outside for about 200$ and one in the center (more or less) for 350$. 

If there is no way you would spend this kind of money on a hotel room, then these are not legitimate back-ups... your refundable reservations need to be something that you could 'live with' should nothing better come along or if rates should spike between now and your trip.

The Saturday nite seems to be the nite that is driving up rates (and Sunday nites are typically the least expensive nite of the week for hotels... tourists have already gone home and business travelers have not yet arrived)... would SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID be an option? (staying further out on Saturday nite and directly in the city for Sun nite... or if you can get lucky, staying at 2 different hotels within the city)

Hi, 

No. I do not want to split the nights since we already have lots of hotels switching during our trip north that the kids are not used to. will have to live with the high prices in Boston and try to get the best of it. We must use Hotwire as we are 4 people. I think the realistic back up is the one outside, but I keep the one in the city in case we will decide otherwise.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]