Priceline Hotel: 4* New York City (Upper West Side) The Empire Hotel

Parners
By Parners,
in

Hi all,

I am looking to bag a 4* for $100 or as close as possible per night for the 18th-24th of December.

I am happy to bid via priceline if the forum thinks this is the best option, or to take a secret deal via hotwire of priceline express. There is potential to decrease the star ratings if taking a hotel from hotwire as I know they're less generous with the stars. As an example, we would be happy to stay at the Empire, which is a 4* on priceline or 3.5 on hotwire, or the belleclaire which is 3.5 on priceline and I believe 3 on hotwire.

While UWS is our preferred zone, there is potential for us to consider other zones however we are completely disinterested in staying in times square and probably the midtown east/msg/grand central type areas. We much prefer a neighbourhood feel. We are staying 3 days in the financial district at the beginning of our stay so would like to rule that out also. Brooklyn, however, is an option.

At present the Empire is $112 cancellable (but pre paid) via priceline list view. While this is acceptable to us, we'd like to try for something cheaper so that we can stay closer to our budget (which is being blown courtesy of Brexit). If we pre pay for the Empire, we're unlikely to be able to have the disposable cash to purchase an additional room while we wait for the original cancellable booking to be refunded.

Any thoughts folks?

Thanks in advance!

13 hours ago, Parners said:

If we pre pay for the Empire, we're unlikely to be able to have the disposable cash to purchase an additional room while we wait for the original cancellable booking to be refunded.

Not following this...

If you purchase the refundable (but pre-paid) rate now you would need to pay this amount.  If you then found a better offer and needed to cancel, wouldn't the new purchase, and refund of the original purchase, take place during the same credit card billing cycle and one would negate the other?

If possible i would take the current $112/nite cancelable rate as this is somewhat attractive in its own right, it gives you a very nice deal at a 4* hotel in the zone you ideally want, as well as the flexibility to cancel and re-book should a better deal come along,

If you do decide to book this, please use this direct link for the Empire Hotel thru PRICELINE.

Let us how you'd like to proceed (and if you book the above as a back-up) and we'll go from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It's credit card limit related. We wouldn't be able to charge the refundable booking and then have enough available credit to make a second booking while we wait for the refund of the cancellable rate.

We're renovating our home so our money is very planned and regulated at the minute.

Hi Thereuare,

Can you please close this thread and move it to the priceline section for me please?

I was just about to just book the empire cancellable rate and rethink nearer to our trip, but beforehand figured there was no harm in trying a bid first. As I'd been turned down at $90 for a 4* UWS yesterday, I upped my bid to $97 (£75) (although I forgot I'd removed the expensive weekend from our dates so potentially could have tried a lower bid).

Won the Empire, $15 a night cheaper than their list view price (although, of course it is not now cancellable).

Happy with it, not a huge saving but much cheaper than this or any comparable hotels via other third party booking sites and a great deal cheaper than booking directly with the hotel.

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you received the hotel you were hoping for and that you're pleased with the results.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]