Priceline Hotel: 4* New York City (Midtown East) Doubletree By Hilton Metropolitan New York

Travelin_momma
By Travelin_momma,
in

Hello, I've used Priceline before for other hotels and car rentals but after reading the NYC forum, it appears that many people end up getting the express deals.

My husband, baby, and I will be visiting NYC for a weekend trip from Friday August 12 - Monday August 15, 2017 (3 nights).

Budget is $150-200, inclusive. Of taxes and fees.

Our baby is 3 months old, so we are looking for an area that has lots of restaurants and things within walking distance.

1) which areas do you recommend with a baby?

2) do you recommend any specific hotels and or strategy for budding?

Welcome to BetterBidding!

How important is it to be in the 'center' of things and near the touristy spots... or as long as there are restaurants (and maybe a park or two :wink:) nearby you are all set?  How much do you see yourself visiting the tourist site(s) vs. just putting your baby in an umbrella stroller and walking around?  Would you prefer a higher end 'fancy' hotel or something more 'main stream' (while still being nice)

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

We don't need to be near touristy spots, so as long as we are around some restaurants and shops that are walking distance, that would be good. Mainstream restaurants are fine as well.

The thing with our 3 month old baby is that she is not able to use an umbrella stroller yet. So we will either have her in a carrier or we will bring her car seat/stroller combo with us if we are walking in the vicinity.

We've been to New York before, so this is just a small weekend trip to enjoy the city, food, and shop around. 

Thanks!!

1 hour ago, Travelin_momma said:

The thing with our 3 month old baby is that she is not able to use an umbrella stroller yet.

My bad... it's been a few years since i had to remember these types of things.:wink:

Here are some of my thoughts/comments (confirm all dates on the landing pages):

3.5* Lower East Side for $136/nite with:

Business Center

Restaurant

Free Internet

Fitness Center

No Smoking Rooms/Facilities

==> best guess here would be the Holiday Inn NYC - Lower East Side

not really in the center of the tourist area but this area is very up and coming... lots of new boutiques, restaurants, as well as 'old-school' (i sort of thing of this area like Chelsea as 10+ years ago).  This Holiday Inn gets excellent reviews, but only the F train nearby to get you to midtown and points north (to the more touristy sections of the city)

4.5* Downtown hotel for $144/nite with:

Pets Allowed

Business Center

Restaurant

Free Internet

Fitness Center

==> Andaz Wall St

a bit more quiet than midtown or Lower East Side, but there will still be plenty of restaurants available.  To the west you can get to Battery Park and/or the West Side Park (very new) which you may enjoy with your baby... to the North/East you can easily get to South Street Seaport with plenty of shops and restaurants open until the wee hours of the nite.  This would be a much nicer hotel (and a first class experience, imo) but a bit more 'out of the way' and quieter than other options (some restaurants will be closed on the weekend, but you'll have plenty of options within a 10 minute walk)

3.5* Times Square - Theatre District for $156/nite withi:

Business Center

Restaurant

Free Internet

==> Distrikt Hotel New York City

although a half star lower than the other two, this may be your best best (i didn't see it until posting the others)... another 'first class' experience, in the heart of the city.  Plenty to see / do in Times Square, a moderate walk South to Chelsa (again, more to see/do... can even make the walk to Chelsea on the Highline)... and plenty of restaurants in the theatre district (eat after the shows have started and the restaurants will have thinned out and be a little less hectic)

Thoughts on the above... any of these work for your needs?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

What star rating would you bid?

I think anything at 4.5* or above would likely exceed your $200 all-in budget... and personally i would prefer the guessed 3.5* Distrikt hotel above (which is currently in the top 10% of all NYC hotels) to many of the 4* hotels in this zone.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we will advise accordingly.

I don't think the distrikt hotel is being offered through express deals anymore. I think it has now changed to Staybridge Suites.

The 4* is also going for the same price ($161) looks like Hotel Mela.

Is this 4.5* the Intercontinental - for $174 / night?

Im not too thrilled with the PRICELINE EXPRESS options now, so looking at the hotels list, I think I want to try bidding for the following areas and star classes:

Midtown East 4.5*

Midtown East 4*

Times Square 4.5*

Times Square 4.5*

Is is there a bid strategy you can recommend?

I also found deals for the Hotel 48lex and Nobeldon for $178 (on other site) - which seems reasonable based on reviews.

13 hours ago, Travelin_momma said:

Is this 4.5* the Intercontinental - for $174 / night?

A $174/nite hotel is going to put you over your stated $200/nite all-in budget... are you know willing to exceed this amount?

If you want to bid on PRICELINE as per the star ratings/zones above, what would be your maximum bid amount? (before fees/taxes)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]