BWI - Offsite vs Airport rental???

Phx115
By Phx115,
in

I currently have a HOTWIRE compact res through a Glen Burnie, MD Budget for $218 for 7/17-7/25. Of course, it will require a cab or Uber to get to and from the airport. I called the Budget office and was told they don't put a deposit on my credit card, just the rental fee. That seems off to me. Money is tight, and even with the cost of getting to the Glen Burnie location, if they don't charge a deposit, that's a bonus for that choice.

I've seen compact car, on-airport rentals on both HOTWIRE and PRICELINE for around $280. Minus the deposit issue, the extra money (and considering all the luggage we'll have and the hassle of getting a cab) might be worth it. I've never done Priceline's NYOP so I'm worried about unexpected fees and deposits.

What are your experiences with car rental deposits?

Id appreciate any opinions and experiences.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I suspect it may be an issue of semantics, and while each rental location can operate differently, i suspect they may not put a deposit on your card, i think they are likely to put a hold on your card (regardless of how you book).

I don't really think about deposits at all as (at least with my credit card companies) they never show up as an actual charge... they are 'pending' charges that i can view online but eventually disappear and never materialize as a line item on my credit card bill.

I've never had an issue with PRICELINE / HOTWIRE for rental cars and the price shown on the checkout page is the amount i paid.  The one issue to keep in mind is that if you're looking to share the driving between yourself and another driver, some car companies allow a spouse to drive at no additional charge while others do charge a fee for any additional driver... so this could be one possible extra fee if you're hoping to share the driving with another person (even if that person is a spouse).

Other than the above i think it comes down to how much the convenience is worth to you.  If transportation costs are $15-$20 each way, that is $30-$40 RT, bringing your savings down to $20-$30, so you have to think if that is worth the inconvenience or not (and i will add that you'll also plan ahead extra time return the car at Glen Burnie to account for any traffic, trouble getting a taxi to the airport, etc)

Our BiddingHelper.com tool has a CARS radio button that will make it easy for you to compare rates as well as a page there to bid on PRICELINE (if you decide to go that route)

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know whatever you decide for this rental or how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]