Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* New York City (Theatre District) Staybridge Suites Times Square

~Melanie~
By ~Melanie~,
in

Hi

I'm hoping to get some advice for booking in Manhattan, around the Times Square area (there are two of us travelling).  Details are:

Dates:  5 nights (26 October - 31 October).  

Budget:  looking at under $300 per night Australian, which I think equates to about $220US. 

Locations:  Times Square South, Times Square North, Central Park South, and would also look at Rockefeller and Grand Central (these locations all look close together and central, but please set me straight if thats not the case or if there is another area I should be looking at!  Its my second time to NY but my fiance's first, and last time I was here I was miles away from everything!  So I thought if I tried to find somewhere around the Times Square area we would be relatively central - with the ability to walk everyone, or close to subways etc.  We'll be doing all the normal touristy things).  

Hotel Rating / Amenities:  My only requirement is to have my own bathroom (not shared), and a queen or king bed.  Free wifi would be great, as would breakfast included, but not mandatory

I've had a bit of a look at the hotrate mystery hotels, but reluctant to book as I don't feel like I know what I'm doing just yet, and if I'll be selecting the best option for my dates.  So any advice and thoughts on whats there for the above dates and requirements, I would be very grateful!

Thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

What is your desired star rating?  Here is some of what i'm seeing at the 4* level that is within your budget:

Club Quarters Midtown - $206

Club Quarters Grand Central or Hotel Boutique At Grand Central (i'm not sure which) - $213/nite

Hotel Mela Times Square or the Night Hotel Times Square - $220

Any of these of interest?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

EDIT TO ADD: not sure if SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID is an option, but if it is, you could do something like:
Hotel Mela Times Square or the Night Hotel Times Square - $215 (first 2 nites)

W New York for $159 (last 3 nites)

==> a little inconvenient to have to change hotels, but may be worth it to you to save $50/nite the last 3 nites

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi, thanks very much for your reply.

Any of the ones you've found would be fantastic!  I didn't have a star rating required - it was more the best that I could get with my budget range.

I don't know whether I am just an idiot, or whether its newbie error, but I can't get the same prices as you do.  I clicked on the HOTWIRE link at the bottom of your reply above, and then entered in Manhattan and my dates.  The closest ones I have found are shown below:

<dead links removed>

Are these any of the ones you mentioned?   If not, what am I doing wrong?!  Thanks so much for your help

Please don't post links to search results on the board since they will expire (even if you click them now you will see that they lead to nowhere)... if you want to describe a HOTWIRE hotel please post the star rating, zone, room rate per nite, and amenities (copy/pasted from the BiddingHelper.com EASY VIEW tab)

The offers i listed above were from PRICELINE EXPRESS, which is why you were not able to find them on HOTWIRE. :wink:

If you want to move forward on any of the ones i had listed we can supply you a valid link to purchase.

If you want to read more about each hotel (and see the location) you can search using our MAPS and HOTELS.com site and filter the results for each hotel name.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Well that's where I was going wrong, thank you!  Thanks also for the tip re the links becoming invalid.

I don't know whether its because a few hours have passed (now morning in Australia), but even when I go into Priceline Express, I can't find any of the options you've mentioned - so if you would be able to please supply me with valid links to purchase, that would be fantastic.  Thanks so much!

1 hour ago, ~Melanie~ said:

please supply me with valid links to purchase

If you let us know which one is your first choice we will supply a link for that PRICELINE EXPRESS offer.

This 4* Rockefeller Center - Bryant Park hotel (confirm your dates on the landing page) is offered for $206/nite with:

Business Center

Restaurant

Free Internet

Fitness Center

No Smoking Rooms/Facilities

==> best guess for this one would be the Club Quarters Midtown

Good luck and let us know how it goes or how we can be of further help.

Just thought I'd post an update.  Went to book, but I hadn't accounted for the taxes etc, which brought it up to about $1700 AUS (and I really didn't want to go over $1500 AUS).  My own fault there - I'm used to Australian prices with everything included, and so I didn't even think that it would be separate here!

I'm not too bothered about the star ratings - just whatever is going to give us the best value for $$ for our budget.  More important is that there are good reviews, and free wifi would be great.  Any other ideas? Or... maybe I just have to accept that my budget is too low for anywhere decent in NY and increase it?  I did look at the 'name your price' as an option - any thoughts on what would typically be accepted for the Times Square/Rockefeller Centre areas in October? (I've tried a few but obviously way off the mark as nothing has been accepted).   Thanks for all of your help - this site and the advice has been fantastic!  

It looks like you nee to get a room rate (before fees/taxes) down to about $180/nite (USD)... to stay within this budget you would need to go down to the 3* level and/or possibly be a little outside of midtown.

I see the:

36 Hudson Hotel for $176/ntie which i will admit i'm not familiar with, but it is a bit further west then you would ideally want to be, imo.

Cosmopolitan Hotel-Tribeca for $178/nite which is a 'bit out of the way'

Nh Jolly Hotel Madison Towers for $179/nite which is well located but 'basic'

The above is what i'm seeing closer to your budget at the moment (so you can weigh the pros/cons vs. the cost and see how you'd like to move forward)

Hi

Sorry, have been away for a few days and now back and hoping to book this weekend.  I've opened up my areas a bit, and have decided I need to increase my budget.  I've found the following on Hotwire, and hoping for some suggestions and identification of what these ones are:

Times Square North. 4 Star. $177 USD per night

FULL AMENITIES: Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Business center, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower

Theater District - Midtown West.  3 star.  $205 USD per night

FULL AMENITIES: Free breakfast, Free Internet, Fitness center, Business center, Internet access

Times Square South. 4 Star. $216 USD per night

FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower

Thanks very much!

Best guess / comments for each:

Times Square North. 4 Star. $177 USD per night

==> Hotel Manhattan at Times Square

Theater District - Midtown West.  3 star.  $205 USD per night

==> Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side (which i will add is a bit too far west to be ideal for the average visitor)... but why consider this 3* vs. the 4* Rockefeller Center - Bryant Park hotel referenced above at the same price, which is still available??

Times Square South. 4 Star. $216 USD per night

==> Hotel Mela

Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

Hi

Thanks again for all of your help.  Just to let you know, I booked using the links from this site - I ended up going for a 3 1/2 star in Times Square that offered free wireless and breakfast.  

I got the Staybridge Suites Times Square   - I'm really happy with this outcome, as it also includes a refrigerator, microwave etc, which will come in handy over the 5 nights to keep drinks cold.

Thanks so much for your help - this site is fantastic, and we're really excited about our trip to NY!

Congratulations on your success!

Can you please add a reply to this thread confirming which service you used (HOTWIRE, PRICELINE, or PRICELINE EXPRESS) for this purchase.  If Hotwire, can you please include in your reply the amenities that shows for this property, including any 'accessible' amenities, when viewing this purchase using the MY ACCOUNT >> MY TRIPS link on the top right of their home page.

Thanks.

Hi

I purchased through PRICELINE EXPRESS (using the link from this site).  

Amenities:  

Free Breakfast

Free Internet (in Room)

Pet Friendly

Non-Smoking

Gym

Handicap Accessible

Business Center

Just an extra tip - gives you a pretty good idea when you get to the booking screen and you get to select room type (the way the room types are worded and the options - gave me a pretty good idea what I was booking, and it turned out correct!).  Thanks again for your help

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]