Hotel Reviews - why have two topics?

anonplz
By anonplz,
in

Perhaps you could start a forum for hotel reviews. It's important to know what kind of P/L product you are likely to win, so that you know whether to bid for a 4* rather than a 3*. For example, in Toronto, it's better to bid for a 3* - the 4*'s aren't in great locations, and apparently aren't all that much better than the 3*'s. Thanks!

This is a great idea that i was hoping to implement, but i couldn't figure out a way to add it without making the first page too long (another list of 50 states on the first page would make it WAY too long!!, not to mention wanting to keep the page loads acceptable for dial-up users).

I thought i'd eventually "get around to it", but the success of the board is beyond anything i'd imagined at this point, so it's now time to "get around to it".

Your post got me thinking about it again, and i have two potential solutions:

Add a REVIEW area within each state. So an example would be: IBForum>>California>>HotwireHotel+Tips/Hotwire/HotwireReviews/PricelineHotel+Tips/Priceline/PricelineReviews

(this won't add any length to the first page)

OR

Have a nw category at the bottom of the page for HOTEL REVIEWS. So an example would be:

IBForum>>HOTELREVIEWS>>(a list of all 50 states here)

(this will make the first page a bit longer, but not by much)

Anyone with an opinion is encouraged to reply as to which of the above they think is best OR suggest another format if they have a better idea.

As always, thanks for making a suggestion to improve the board, your feedback is important and appreciated.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Guest Guest_anonplz

Well, I like the first suggestion because I prefer one-stop shopping, i.e., when I'm checking for bids, and I see a good deal, my next question is almost always, "okay, but what do you get for that price?" Having reviews accessible from the same forum would be better. The second scenario is labor-intensive and inconvenient. My .02. :)

Let me preface with I know NOTHING about web sites and making them work.

I also agree reviews on the particular hotels would be great. Would it be possible to have live links on the hotel list area, where you would click that particular hotel name link and either add a review or check out previous posters reviews.

I'm thinking this would be good, because then when you are in the shopping stage, prior to placing any bids, you would be looking at that list anyway. After winning a bid you can add your hotel to the list, after your stay you can return to the same place to leave your review. Personally, I think if I were to see a particular hotel coming up consistently that is for example a 3*, but offers many immenities important to me, that could impact my likelihood to bid 3* vs going with 4* bid. (I know this sounds awfully wordy, and hope it makes sense).

Somehow i missed this post this morning <sorry>.....

The hotel reviews got put on the back-burner for a short while as i've been working on learning how to get the board's new name impemented, transfer all the posts and member data without losing any, and how to get the main page to be the "default page" (ie- without the '/forum' at the end of it). Now that this is done, i'll be able to focus on getting the hotel revies section up and running.

Once the reviews space is up, we'll see what kind of features can be added down the road (so if i forget in a few months, don't hesitate to remind me).

Anonplz, in re-reading this thread, i was thinking that maybe that info re: Toronto (3* vs 4*) could go in the Canada "Priceline Hotels and Tips" category? If you start a new topic there with this tip, i'll then "pin" the "Master List" to the top of that forum so that the Master List is always on the top (take a look at Florida as an example of how it would look).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hotel Review sections are now available under each state.

HOWEVER, adding them has seemed to put a great toll on the board's resources. I think i have adjusted things so that it runs smoothly from here on out, but we'll have to wait a few days to know for sure.

IF YOU EXPERIENCE any "out of memory" errors, slow loading of the board, or any other problems please report them to me via PM or email (there's an email link near the top of the board) so that we can make sure things are running smoothly.

Thanks.

You know, I don't think you really need to separate out Hotwire hotel reviews and Priceline hotel reviews under each state. The hotel is going to be the same regardless of how you purchase it. While not all hotels are available under either service, the key for this is the hotel, not the method of purchase :)

That might help your resources issue.

Amber

• 3 weeks later...

Not only condensed, but now moved!

We have removed the Hotel Reviews within each state and placed a new category at the bottom of the board for Hotel Reviews. Please post any hotel reviews in this section, but PLEASE try to begin each new topic with the state abbreviation of the hotel's location. This will keep the posts in alphabetical order (unlike the rest of the board which has the newest post at the top of the thread, this thread will be alphabetized) and therefore make reviews easier to find.

As well, in the "Master List" (the list within each state that shows the hotels by city), there will be a link "REVIEW" next to each hotel that has already been reviewed. Clicking this link will take you directly to the review of that hotel. Whether or not it opens a new browser or gives you the review in the existing window depends upon your browser settings. If you'd like to chagne yours send me a PM and i'll walk you through it.

If you want to review a hotel that is already listed, please reply to that thread so that your review will follow the previous poster's comments. If your hotel is not yet listed, feel free to start a new topic.

If anyone has any questions or problems, feel free to post to this thread, or send me a private message or email.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]