Priceline Hotel: New York Trip Septmeber

AtomAnt22
By AtomAnt22,
in

Visiting NYC in September. booked the flight already , should i start looking to book a room now ( 4 nights ) or wait til it gets a little closer

got an excellent deal on flight i figured i want to try my hand at naming my own price on PRICELINE. Nothing fancy but would like to stay in the 125-150 range 

any suggestion or tips would be appreciated  . its a solo trip . i even thought about checking out hostel with private room 

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Rates are dates specific...

What are the actual dates of your stay?  What is the minimum star rating you're willing to accept?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You're dates are at the beginning of high season for NYC and at current rates i'm not so sure that $150 will be enough even for a 3* hotel.  However, if you let us know which zones (by PRICELINE name) you're willing to accept we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm following this topic!

I'm completely new to Priceline bidding and still haven't studied on Hotwire system yet, so sorry if I do something wrong or against the rules here.

We are (a family of 5) going to NYC in September as well (Sep 22-27th).

So looking for two rooms to stay for 5 nights.

We're considering these following zones -  3.5* hotel (willing to accept 3* if getting a decent hotel with a good deal) 

Times Square 

Rockefeller Center 

Midtown - East/West

Central Park - South 

Madison Square Garden 

Not sure if those are all good areas within a short walking distance to subway and to get around the attractions since we have two senior family members so the location really matters.

What do you suggest and is there any other good areas that should be included when bidding? 

Our budget is 160$ max/night/room  before taxes 

It's pretty hard to find a room that can accommodate 3 people comfortably, with two queen beds. Finding a hotel for 5 people is harder than 4! 

Could you please give us suggestion or strategy?

Is there a chance to win the bidding on PriceLine or Hotwire comes with better chance? 

Would much appreciate any help! TIA :-) 

P.S. how do we know that a hotel will charge a resort fee or not? 

Poppyolive,

Welcome to BetterBidding!

For help with your own trip please start a NEW TOPIC In the NEW YORK - Hotwire section of the board and we will assist you there.

This helps keep the board better organized so we don't confuse the trips of two different users, as well use the topic title of your newly created thread to reflect your purchase once a decision has been made, and put a link to the thread/win in the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins and Priceline Maps.

Thanks.

Ok I have a question . I think I've change my preference. I'm thinking of staying  in Long Island City . I like a couple there only a few 4 star hotel that come up so any of them will really do . Now I see a PRICELINE EXPRESS deal for 166 I'm thinking its Z NYC Hotel . It's the only hotel with a shuttle to Manhattan . Is it possible to name my own price and get it for a even lower price ? Or any other hotel . 

Thanks otherwise I might just book the express deal 

If the PRICELINE EXPRESS offer you're seeing is this 4* Long Island City hotel (confirm your dates on the landing page) with:

Pets Allowed

Business Center

Restaurant

Airport Shuttle

Free Internet

... then i agree that this is likely the Z NYC Hotel and that would be my best guess

If you decide to bid for this trip you need to be willing to accept any hotel in the zone(s) that you select at the star rating (or higher) that you choose... it may be the same hotel that is currently offered thru PRICELINE EXPRESS, or it may be something different.  The PRICELINE EXPRESS option also allows you to choose 2 Full Beds vs. 1 Queen bed should one configuration work better for your needs than the other.

Do you want to go with the PRICELINE EXPRESS offer OR try bidding for any 4 star or higher in the zone?  If bidding, what would be your maximum bid price?  While i'm doubtful that any 4* hotel in Manhattan would be available for $166 or less, should we include any Manhattan zones in your bidding in order to get additional bidding opportunities?

Let us know how you'd like to proceed, or how it goes if you take the Express offer, and we'll go from there.

thanks for the info , im so going back and forth . Now im will to spend about 200night for something in the following area prefer 4 star but will settle for 3.5

Times Square 

Hells Kitchen 

Midtown - East/West

Central Park - South 

Madison Square Garden

will prices drop closer to September or no. i think you told me its high season and wouldnt 

Nobody can say if rates will come down, or move higher, between now and your trip.  If hotels receive fewer new reservations or more cancellations than expected then rates could come down a little... if hotels receive more new reservations and fewer cancellations then they could rise further from here.

As current prices your budget is possible, but still a bit of reach for a 3.5* or 4* in the zones above.  However, before getting any further i think it's better to comment on your zone selections above (and to avoid any confusion please use the same zone names as they appear on PRICELINE):

Times Square - OK

MTW - Hells Kitchen - most 4* hotels in this zone are on the western side of the zone which is not the most convenient for the average tourist/visitor

Midtown East - most hotels are well located but a few can be up to a 10-15 minute walk to the subway, would this be acceptable?

Central Park South - at the 4* level has the Hudson hotel which has notoriously small rooms, even by NYC standards, would this be acceptable?

Madison Square Garden - has the Wyndham New Yorker which is 'ok' at the right price, but gets mixed reviews as it's an older property and most these days like more modern hotels

Why not Rockefeller Center, Cheslea, and/or ESB?

Do you already have a list of activities at this point in time that you plan on doing while in NYC?

• 1 year later...

Thank you for closing this thread with your decision.

Please remember to follow-up your threads with your wins/decisions as you make them (even if you don't ultimately use PRICELINE / HOTWIRE, cancel the trip, book direct, etc) as this help keep the board better organized and more useful for everyone... as well as being a courtesy to anyone who took the time to help with your travel plans.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]