Hotwire Hotel: 4* New York City (Grand Central) The Iroquois

bkhanley
By bkhanley,
in

Clearly a fat finger (or lack of finger) by someone entering the hotel rates into Hotwire as I have been watching these dates for weeks now and only seen $200 per night or higher for 3 stars or higher.  But like a prior poster, I caught a $56 rate for 3 nights, 5/13-5/16.  From this board I figured out the hotel was The Iroquois.  The rate was so ridiculously good, I kept double checking zone, city, dates to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.  Anyway, I booked it and it went thru.  About an hour later, the staffer must have figure things out as the rate shot way back up.  I only needed the room for two nights, but for the cheap price, I added extra day essentially to give myself option of a very late checkout.

Amenities listed:

Free Internet

Boutique Hotel

Fitness Center

Restaurant

Business Center

Internet Access

Bottom line:  Home Run!!!!

Similar to another poster about a hotel with smoking good rate for a central park south property (same owner possibly?), I also received the email this morning that hotel can't fill the reservation and Hotwire will either help me find similar hotel (at no additional cost) or $25 hotwire dollars.  As the hotels are going for around $200 per night x 3 nights = $600 compared to 25 hot dollars, I am definitely going to work to see what hotel options they present at no additional cost to me.  I will let you know how this plays out.  This does make me wonder if Hotwire messed up in the rate they posted that I grabbed rather than the hotel posting the price (as I would think if it was the hotel that entered the data, they would have to live up to it (as there are rooms available on the hotel site for my dates).

I'm not sure what went wrong with the pricing from the other day or who was at fault... often you see a great deal like that and it's just for one hotel, but on this particular date there were multiple hotels that were showing incredible deals, yet others which showed more 'normal' prices. 

It's possible that some system had the wrong default currency set so that any hotels that updated/loaded rates into the system during this time had an erroneous rate showing... while others who didn't update their rates during this time showed more typical rates.  I'm not suggesting that is exactly what happened here, but it's one scenario that you can see how it would effect some rates and not others.

Keep us updated on HOTWIRE's offer and how this gets resolved.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ok it took several phone calls to Hotwire customer service (which for this process never went fast (no roadblocks, just slow).  Multiple calls was so I could do some research on the hotels I found out were my options to pick from.  When it was all said and done, I got The Muse, a great hotel I have wanted to check out.  And I got to know the name of the hotel as the replacement as part of this process, so there was no guesswork.  Bottom line, Hotwire refunded my original 3 day total of $223 and then charged me $223 for the new reservation at the Muse and then Hotwire paid the difference (over $800) to cover the difference since.  Hotwire paid The Muse their retail rate.  The Iroquois reservation was Hotwire's mistake.  Clearly my best deal ever on Hotwire.

All told, I get The Muse for $56 per night ($74 per night after taxes and fees).  I will happily take it and pick up a free 1 hour wine reception each night in the process at the Muse that the Iroquois didn't have.

Glad to see you got the situation resolved your satisfaction and that after realizing their error, HOTWIRE took appropriate steps to rectify the situation.

Thanks for the follow-up... have a great time in NYC and let us know if there are any NYC questions that we help with to get the most from your trip.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would pass on a post mortem here.

Hotwire did indeed step up and pay the $899 difference between the retail rate of The Muse and the $223 I had already paid when booking the Iroquois.  My stay at The Muse was fantastic (especially for $74 per night all in).

One nugget of information though for anyone else that gets in this situation, once Hotwire books the new hotel you pick, there is no changing new reservation to a different hotel.  I was trying to get Hotwire to change my reservation to the Eventi (also in the Kimpton hotel chain like The Muse) at a cheaper price that The Muse (but more preferable location for me).  I made several calls, even with a Hotwire supervisor, essentially asking them to credit my account back the $899 Hotwire dollars and instead use them on Eventi and that Hotwire could even have back the reduced amount of Hotwire dollars needed (so a win for both sides).  They just kept repeating their policy that once the replacement reservation was made, there was no getting the Hotwire dollars back (even though The Muse policy showed that the reservation could be cancelled within 24 hours with no penalty).  When I called the hotel chain to fight this fight, they mentioned the reservation was via Expedia, and same when I checked in, so that may have further muddied the waters if Hotwire used Expedia to book the new reservation.   No dissatisfaction here as The Muse was great.  I was just surprised Hotwire wouldn't take my offer to save them some money to book a slightly cheaper hotel and let them keep the remaining Hotwire dollars. 

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]