Hotwire Hotel: 5* New York City (Central Park South) 1 Hotel Central Park

annamk
By annamk,
in

Hello,

This is indeed an amazing site ! I hope I've read all the instructions properly - there are so many options it's a bit daunting. My husband & I are looking for a central Manhattan hotel (stars however our budget will stretch) - Times Square area or Central Park South would be fine. We are there 5 nights (May 18th check in, out May 24th) our budget is up to US250 a night (inc taxes) I started by trying Hotwire and I have found an 

"Elite 5 star hotel, central park south area. 90% recommended by 9 reviewers. 5 stars, price (sorry in GBP was £386 now £86 per night - I guess roughly in US this is US540 reduced to 120). It has restaurant(s), business centre, fitness centre."

I called Hotwire but they wouldn't give me any further info except to say that it doesn't have a pool. They said it would be Meridien, Inter-Continental that sort of thing. The price just seems too good to be true ? Is it ? 

Many thanks 

Anna 

Welcome to Betterbidding. :biggrin:

If you go to BiddingHelper.com, then search for your dates, then click "Hotwire Easy View", then click "Full Amenities", you will see the complete list of amenities associated with a listing.

There are two listings where the price seems extraordinarily low for the season:

prices in US$, you may see a slightly different rate.

$55 4* Grand Central Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business

-- This is a possible match for Iroquois, which has been seen with this amenity set previously. This is a "has to be a mistake"-level low price, as $55 for a 4* isn't seen in the middle of January, much less May.

$122 5* Central Park South Restaurant, Fitness, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business

-- This is a possible match for 1 Central Park. Again, $122 is extremely unusual for a 5* in NYC in general - especially in a busy season.

I'm also seeing a 5* in the Upper East Side zone for $106 w/Free Internet, Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Wheelchair accessible, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower

-- but this listing has not yet been ID'd/reported to the board. 

If either of these are of interest, I'd take them ASAP.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Congratulations on your success!

EXCELLENT win for a 5* hotel in NYC during what is considered to be busy season!

I'm very familiar with NYC so feel free to ask any questions you have that may help you get the most from your trip.

Thank you for sharing your results and using the HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your purchase.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

23 hours ago, annamk said:

Thank you for the quick reply. I booked it through your HOTWIRE links and the hotel is 1 Central Park :) 

Hi Annamk,

Got the same hotel for $140, for 17-5 thru 20-5 but contacted the hotel and they did not found my reservation yet. Did you confirmed your reservation with the hotel?

It was too good to be true :( I had an email from Hotwire overnight saying that the hotel is unable to accommodate us. They are offering me help relocate to a different hotel nearby at no additional cost to me or a refund and 25 hot dollars !  I've emailed them back to ask what hotel they can offer but I'm assuming it will be nowhere near the same standard, obviously I'm very disappointed by my first experience with Hotwire. Does this happen often ? 

I would start by calling HOTWIRE and seeing what they are offering as a replacement before assuming it will be that much lesser of a value.  While i agree that they may not be able to offer you a 5* hotel at the same price, i would try to negotiate a replacement deal that consisted of a 'good' hotel (if they are lowering the star rating to 4* make sure it is one of the better reviewed 4 star hotels) and hot dollars, where as the combination of the two makes you feel 'whole'.  While HOTWIRE may be limited in regards to the replacement hotels that can be offered (because they don't own any hotel rooms and are only acting as an agency/broker in this situation), i would definitely be trying to get more than $25 Hot Dollars from them given that this was a 6 nite stay (which their offer of a credit amounts to less than $4/day).

Be logical and reasonable in what you think is 'fair' given the situation... if you were given a good 4 star and $25 Hot Dollars per nite (so $150 in total to use on a future purchase) would you feel that they handled the situation well?  I'm not saying that this is exactly what you should be seeking, but if it were me i think i would find that to be satisfactory given the stay is a still a few weeks away and they contacted you shortly after the purchase (it's a different story entirely if you're contacted weeks after the purchase and only a short time before arrival)

I'm sure there are more pricing errors then we are aware of, and many times either HOTWIRE or the hotel will take the hit, but i'm guessing in a frequently traveled area such as NYC the costs of a pricing error lasting even just a few hours can add up quickly... but a situation where there is a wide scale (as this appears to have been) error where reservations are getting canceled is somewhat rare (i'd say maybe once or twice per year)

Good luck and let us know how you make out with the HOTWIRE discussions.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for your good advice. It took a while on the phone with Hotwire & lots of hotdollars to cover the price difference b/n the original booking & the new one but I've been rebooked at the same price at The Quin. I didn't get a choice - it was the same blind booking deal. The reviews are not quite as good as 1 Central Park but I can't complain for a 5 star hotel in Manhatten. So as long as the hotel do confirm & I'm not staying in the broom cupboard next to the lifts, I'll be happy. 

Glad to see you reached a resolution with HOTWIRE that you are pleased with... and props to HOTWIRE for handling the situation well.

Their customer service is actually pretty good when it comes to things that are black and white (although it can be a struggle getting them to understand exactly wha the issue is, but once they do they are usually pretty good)... they usually take a bad rap in the customer service department because the majority of issues are subjective, such as whether the 3.5* hotel received should really be 3* rated (which understandably is not something they are as willing to negotiate on)

Have a great time in NYC... let me know if you have any questions about the city that i can help with.

Thank you for replying.

I'm sorry I have another query ....

I have confirmed my reservation with The Quin (I am pleasantly surprised that I have several notches better than the most basic room). I have the hotwire email confirmation which shows I paid with a combination of (many) hot dollars credited to me and (much less) on my credit card. When Hotwire re booked me they said I couldn't use my original payment for Hotel 1 Central Park but I had to pay again and the original payment would be refunded to me. I am waiting for my refund although I have an email confirmation from Hotwire that they have made the refund.

I have seen some terrible reviews of Hotwire on consumer sites so I was anxious to ask The Quin to confirm that my reservation was paid in full by Hotwire. In response The Quin says since I booked with a third party they recommend that I confirm with the third party that they have received my payment. I'm guessing it's all in order and I'm just being paranoid but I'd be grateful  if you can say whether this is just standard procedure. I don't want to arrive at The Quin & find that my room is not paid and I'm left trying to find a reasonable price hotel at the last minute. 

Is there a good website with recommendations for reasonably price well reviewed restaurants ? 

I wouldn't be concerned... your new reservation should be 'all set' and refunds do typically take a few days to process (your new purchase of The Quinn should show something to the effect that your room is paid).

See my comments below regarding HOTWIRE's customer service:

On 5/6/2016 at 11:36 AM, thereuare said:

Their customer service is actually pretty good when it comes to things that are black and white (although it can be a struggle getting them to understand exactly wha the issue is, but once they do they are usually pretty good)... they usually take a bad rap in the customer service department because the majority of issues are subjective, such as whether the 3.5* hotel received should really be 3* rated (which understandably is not something they are as willing to negotiate on)

If you read most of the 'bad reviews' it think most of what you will find are that the user didn't feel the hotel they purchased lived up to the star rating assigned by HOTWIRE (this has greatly improved over the last few years, and even more so over the last 3-6 months, but still likely the most common issue).  As i noted above star ratings are subjective and each company rates hotels based upon different criteria, so it's very difficult to argue that the 3.5* hotel somebody received should really be 3* rated (it's not like we're talking 2* budget properties being rated 4*/5*... it's usually a difference of a half a star, which can be 'too close to call').  Most other issues are from those who agreed to a non-refundable purchase and then are upset that HOTWIRE won't give them a refund for a hotel they can't use now that their plans have changed.

Note that you're in the 'high rent district' (not that there is any low rent district in NYC) so for affordable meals you'll likely need to get out of the immediate area.  If you let me know what types of food you like and what you considerable to be 'reasonably priced' i'll try to offer some suggestions. (also note that liquor (including beer/wine) in NYC can be expensive and can substantially increase a restaurant bill)

Thank you again - so helpful :) 

We like most things : Italian, Thai, Mexican, Burgers .... I'm guessing like London it will be hard to find good quality under $60 inc drinks (or is that even hopelessly optimistic ?) but doesn't have to be 3 courses :) 

When we came a couple of years ago we tried Eataly (nice food & buzzy), Hillstone (good burgers), Rosa Mexicana (for the tourists ?) & Union Sq Cafe (expensive). 

Here are some of my suggestions/comments based upon your previous post...

Rosa Mexicana - i always have  good time here (we go to the Union Square location as it more local and less tourist) and while we're eating i always think to myself "why don't we come here more often"... then the bill comes!:biggrin:  It's not that the food is so pricey, but my wife and i will have 2 cocktails each (their drinks are good but small) and some $15 tableside guacamole and we're easy at $60 before tax/tip and we haven't even ordered entrees yet!  So while i do like it here, i usually leave feeling i could have had a better meal for what we ultimately end up spending.  We do still go occasionally, but i am prepared ahead of time and know what i'm getting myself into.

Burgers: Jackson Hole Wymoming (521 3rd Ave location... on Third Ave at 35th St)

service can be spotty at times and not the most comfortable seating, but HUGE burgers that are some of the best in the city, imo

NOTE: if you like margaritas (since you mentioned mexican food) before/after your burgers you can head across the strip and a few blocks uptown to El Rio Grande (160 E 38th St... look at the base of the apartment building on the east side of the street)... excellent (very strong) margaritas.  Haven't eaten here in a while so don't know if the food as improved since then, but unless you hear otherwise, probably best to stick with the frozen margaritas and the free chips and salsa here.

Mexican: Arriba Arriba (762 9th Ave,.. 9th Ave at 51st St)

a little cramped, a bathroom smaller than on an airplane, but great margaritas and affordable food (the food won't blow you away but haven't had anything bad here either).  More traditional tex-mex (and not as fancy) as Rosa Mexicana (just so you know what you're in for)

Breakfast: Ess-A-Bagel (Third Ave at 50th St)

one of the best bagels in the city and makes for a relatively inexpensive breakfast among local NYers

Italian: we have such good Italian food in my home town at nearly half the price of NYC that we don't go to the city too often for Italian.  I'm also a big pizza guy so if we do eat Italian in NYC it's usually at an upscale pizza place.

Noodle Soup: Wonton Garden (56 Mott St... not HK Wonton Garden on Mulberry) is in chinatown and as the name implies specializes in Wonton Dumplings in Noodle soup.  I don't think you'll find a better version of this anywhere and at about $6/bowl is a good, affordable lunch.  Stick with the wonton in noodle soup here and i wouldn't venture toward the 'meat' dishes/entrees.

Let me know if you need more or have any questions on any of the above.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]