Priceline Hotel: 4* New York City (Rockefeller Center - Bryant Park) Cassa Hotel 45th Street New York

vitorzb
By vitorzb,
in

Hello there,

A friend of my recommended me Hotwire and as I started checking and googling it I ended up here. Great forum, congrats! :D

Since it will be my first time in NYC I would like to hear your suggestions of hotels/areas (in Manhattan).

Travel dates: 11/15 thru 11/22 (7 nights)

Star rating: 4 or more

Price

max. room rate (before taxes): US$150

(is it enough for a good 4 star hotel or must I raise my price?)

Zones I've been suggested: 

- Chelsea

- Meatpacking

- Upper East Side

- Madison Square Garden

- Midtown West

What Am I looking for in NYC:

- tourist attractions

- watch a couple of Broadway plays

- try different restaurants (already have a list...)

- bit of shopping & walking

What a expect from the Hotel:

- Good Location

- Clean

- Doesn't have a lot of hidden taxes/fees

I did a Hotwire search based on my requirements above and these are the ones I selected:

1) Well-appointed 4-star boutique hotel in Chelsea area

4star

US$155

Recommendation 80%

Amenities: Free Internet, Boutique hotel, Business center

2) Well-appointed 4-star boutique hotel in Upper East Side area

4star

US$159

Recommendation 75%

Amenities: Boutique hotel, Business center, Fitness center, Internet access, Pet friendly, Restaurant(s)

3) Well-appointed 4-star new to Hotwire hotel in Theater District - Midtown West area

4star

US$165

Recommendation 75%

Amenities: Free internet, Boutique hotel, Business center, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Smoke-free rooms, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible path of travel

4) Well-appointed 4-star boutique hotel in Madison Square Garden area

4star

US$166

Recommendation 70%

Amenities: Business center, Fitness center, Internet access, Pet friendly, Restaurant(s), Smoke-free rooms, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible path of travel

Thanks in advance for the help.

And yes, I will use your link to book the hotel as well as I will post my result here. ;-)

Welcome to BetterBidding! (and thanks for the compliments on the site :smile:)

I'm local to the area so some questions/comments to start:

Regarding your zone list above:

Chelsea - some hotels can be up to a 10 minute walk to the subway, but this is a 'happening' area with lots of bars, restaurants, cafes, boutiques, etc. so it is still considered to be quite desirable

Meatpacking - same comments as Chelsea above

Upper East Side - not that well located for the average tourist

Madison Square Garden - well located but also contains the Wyndham New Yorker which gets mixed reviews (reviews are much better since Wyndham took over the property about 3-5 years ago, but it's an older, 'classic', building which is not necessarily everyone's style... many now prefer more modern styles)

Midtown West - most of the better/higher rated hotels in this zone get good reviews in terms of quality, but most are in the western part of the zone which puts you further from the subway and therefore not the most well located for the average tourist

For the HOTWIRE offers asked about I believe there are likely more amenities then what you have posted above as HOTWIRE has a new interface that does not show the complete set of amenities unless you search using the EASY VIEW TAB of our BiddingHelper.com tool.

If you repeat your search using our BiddingHelper.com tool... use the HOTWIRE EASY VIEW tab and then click the GREEN BUTTON next to this listing, do you see more amenities (including any accessible amenities) then what you have listed above?

HOWEVER, if you're looking to keep your maximum room rate per nite at $150/nite, all of the HOTWIRE offers above are over this amount.  Researching hotels can be a time consuming process and we try to restrict researching properties only to those that are within budget and ready for purchase, as this helps us respond to everyone requesting help in a timely manner.  As well, hotel inventory (and prices) can change quickly and the hotels currently available may not be the ones offered once you're ready to purchase (or the price may never drop to your target price point)

If you are willing to increase your slightly, i would also consider this 4.5* Rockefeller Center hotel (confirm your dates on the landing page) thru PRICELINE EXPRESS for $167/nite with:

Pets Allowed, Restaurant, Free Internet, Business Center, No Smoking Rooms/Facilities

==> my guess for this one would the Cassa Hotel 45th Street New York which i think would be very well located for your needs and gets very good reviews

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Let us know your thoughts/comments on the above and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi thereuare,

First of all thanks for quick reply.

- About my price limit = I'm willing to raise it to US$170, since I'm getting very little options under US$150 (that match my criteria).

- Thank you for giving me your 2 cents about the zones. I will check the location of the restaurants/bars I want to go and if most of them are not in Chelsea or Meatpacking, I'll probably skip these zones and focus on the more central ones: Rockerfeller Center, Grand Central, TSS, TSN, MSG (have nothing against Wyndham New Yorker) and, maybe, Midtown West

- Full amenities = I did checked the Hotwire Easy View Tab (for the two first results) and since they didn't differ from hotwire website I did not check the others. My bad.

There you go:

1) Well-appointed 4-star boutique hotel in Chelsea area

4star

US$155

Recommendation 80%

FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Boutique hotel, Business center, Internet access

2) Well-appointed 4-star boutique hotel in Upper East Side area

4star

US$159

Recommendation 75%

FULL AMENITIES: Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access

3) Well-appointed 4-star new to Hotwire hotel in Theater District - Midtown West area

4star

US$165

Recommendation 75%

FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Wheelchair accessible, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower

4) Well-appointed 4-star boutique hotel in Madison Square Garden area

4star

US$166

Recommendation 70%

FULL AMENITIES: Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower

- Extra:

I did find a option in Grand Central for a good price (US$139). As a matter of fact, I found 3x offers containing exactly the same info:

What are your thought about which hotels could they be?

5) Grand Central area hotel

4star

US$139

Recommendation 70%

FULL AMENITIES: Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access

Thanks again for your time and help.

As I said, I will check my list of restaurants/bars and post back about Chelsea/Meatpacking.

18 hours ago, vitorzb said:

I will check my list of restaurants/bars and post back about Chelsea/Meatpacking.

Please confirm the area(s) you're willing to accept before asking us to research hotels...

As noted above, this can be a time consuming process.  Even if each of the hotels takes 3 minutes to research (it can often take much longer) we're looking at nearly 20 minutes for just this part of the task, not to mention the time needed to type a response with comments about the specific hotels.  As also noted above, the hotels currently available may not be the ones that are offered once you're done researching the bars/restaurants you plan in visiting, which then creates a new list of hotels that will need to be researched.

I commented above that the Upper East Side zone is typically not the best for the average tourist... do you plan on taking our advice in this regard and this one is no longer necessary to research OR do you have a reason to stay in this area and still consider this location?  Even the other hotels that are in better/acceptable locations... these are mostly 70%-80% recommended by previous guests, why these hotels when for basically the same price you can get a hotel that is much higher rated/reviewed?

To take a different angle... have you read the reviews for the Cassa on 45th St which i had guessed was the PRICELINE EXPRESS offer above?  With the higher star rating, and excellent reviews, do you think some hotel that has a lower star rating and is only 70% recommended hotel by previous guests, offered for basically the same price, would be a better option? (i'm not saying that this is the hotel you have to buy, but with limited time/resources, and lot of options presented, you really need to think logically at which hotels offer the best prospects and start with those... assuming you have read up on the Cassa on 45th, why not that property?)

On a final note, i know the NYC area very well, and i'm also very well versed with both PRICELINE / HOTWIRE, if you can hone in exactly what your needs are for this trip we can likely pick out the best options for you that meet your criteria, and do it much more quickly then researching a long list of hotels that may or may not be available once you're ready to move forward.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi thereuare,

thank you, again, for the information-rich reply. 

3 hours ago, thereuare said:

Please confirm the area(s) you're willing to accept before asking us to research hotels...

I checked my NYC to do list and since there are places all over Manhattan, I'll go as you said and stay in a more central area.

Areas:

- Rockefeller Center

- Grand Central

- TSN and TSS

- Theater District

- MSG

I searched with http://www.biddinghelper.com/ for these areas (4 stars+, 80%+ recommendation and prices up to US$170) and the return showed me 1 option in Grand Central (see below for detailed info), besides the one you mentioned in Rockefeller Center.

To take a different angle... have you read the reviews for the Cassa on 45th St which i had guessed was the PRICELINE EXPRESS offer above?  With the higher star rating, and excellent reviews, do you think some hotel that has a lower star rating and is only 70% recommended hotel by previous guests, offered for basically the same price, would be a better option? (i'm not saying that this is the hotel you have to buy, but with limited time/resources, and lot of options presented, you really need to think logically at which hotels offer the best prospects and start with those

Yes I read reviews from Cassa on 45th St. (from Hotels.com and Tripadvisor).

There are a lot of good/excellent reviews.

I've just got a little cold feet after reading the negative reviews (very small rooms with no place for luggage, wardrobe that can fit only 2 coats and that's all, no room cleaning service included (extra fee if you want it), no enough elevators to handle the traffic, etc.). But again, as you said, almost all guests give very good reviews.

... assuming you have read up on the Cassa on 45th, why not that property?)

I think I will go for this property.

I'd just like your opinion about the US$139 options in Grand Central that I mentioned in my previous post.

(Because if the US$139 is a good option, I would be saving US$200+ for the 7 nights stay).  --> EDIT : never mind, the US$139 offers are not available anymore.

As I said above, I did find another option that I would like you to comment upon. (very similar to the one you suggested):

4* Grand Central area HOTWIRE link
US$ 166/nite
90% recommended
FULL AMENITIES: Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Business center, Internet access

(this time I got the amenities from Hotwire easy tab view) ;-)

I will probably book one of these two options. Just would like to know your thoughts on the Grand Central option.

Thanks again for the help. 

Best guess for the 4* Grand Central HOTWIRE offer above would likely be the Cassa as well... but note that HOTWIRE's taxes/fees are a little higher so the all-in price is a bit more than the PRICELINE EXPRESS offer.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Good luck... let us know how it goes or how we can help further.

Hi,

On 5/2/2016 at 0:51 PM, thereuare said:

If you are willing to increase your slightly, i would also consider this 4.5* Rockefeller Center hotel (confirm your dates on the landing page) thru PRICELINE EXPRESS for $167/nite with:

Pets Allowed, Restaurant, Free Internet, Business Center, No Smoking Rooms/Facilities

==> my guess for this one would the Cassa Hotel 45th Street New York which i think would be very well located for your needs and gets very good reviews

i just went thru and booked your recommendation. (4 Star Hotel in Rockefeller Center - Bryant Park Area for $167/night)

It is indeed the "Cassa Hotel New York". :biggrin:

Thank you very much for helping me with this win.

Ahh, btw, of course I booked the hotel using the PRICELINE link from betterbidding. ;-)

Glad to see you went for it and are pleased with the results.

You're also not to far from my often recommended Ess-A-Bagel (Third Ave at 51st St) which has one of the best bagels in the city, makes for a nice, and relatively inexpensive, breakfast among local NYers.

Have a great time in NYC!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]