Hotwire Hotel: 4* New York City (Grand Central) The Iroquois

champfrancisco
By champfrancisco,
in

When bidding in NYC and looking for a 4 star hotel or higher there are numerous 3.5 start zones that I can use to rebid.  Since I am only looking at two 4 star zones I can easily add those 3.5 zones at the bid rejection screen.  My question is whether it is better to exit out (as the system may recognize multiple bids) or does that not really matter that I am just adding zones and re-bidding without exiting out?  Thanks!

Please start by following-up your previous Hotwire Las Vegas hotel thread with whatever you ended up doing for that trip.

Please remember to follow-up your threads with your wins/decisions as you make them (even if you don't ultimately use PRICELINE / HOTWIRE, cancel the trip, book direct, etc) as this help keep the board better organized and more useful for everyone... as well as being a courtesy to anyone who took the time to help with your travel plans.

If you are using proper re-bid strategy techniques the system will not treat your bids as duplicates because by definition they are not duplicates since you are adding new zones to the bids.  Whether to exit out becomes more of a question of the lower and upper amounts of your bid range and how many re-bid zones are available.

What are the dates of your stay?  Which two zones are acceptable for you at the 4* level?  What is your maximum bid?

Let us know the information above (and follow-up your previous thread) and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ok I did update my last thread for the Vegas trip.  My apologies as I thought that I had previously done that.

That dates of stay for NYC will be 5/21-5/23.  I am looking at a 4 star hotel in either the Rockefellar or Times Square zone.  This leaves me with numerous rebid options.  I started bidding at $100 and went up to $135 with no luck.  I say about $145 is the maximum as there is a comparable property on HOTWIRE ($159/4 star @ Rock) that I could get as a back up.  I would have thought that if Hotwire had it for $156 maybe Priceline would have it as a winning bid a little cheaper than that.  Thanks for your help and any insight that you could provide would be greatly appreciated. 

56 minutes ago, champfrancisco said:

there is a comparable property on HOTWIRE

How do you know that this is a property that PRICELINE also has within their system, and if they do, rate it 4 stars?  As well, your maximum bid thus far of $135/nite is still a 'bit far' from the HOTWIRE rate of $159/nite.

If you want to try bidding further on PRICELINE you have TEN re-bid zones (and with so many re-bid zones, and your maximum bid not too far from amounts you have already bid, i don't see much benefit in closing the browser between each bid).  If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

I would bid as follows:

Select 4* TS and Rockefeller Center...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $136, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $138, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $141, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $142, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $143, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $144, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $145

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The two services do not always share the same star ratings for the same property and hotels may offer inventory on one service but not the other. If you provide the full amenities showing with the listing (go to biddinghelper.com, search or your dates, click "Hotwire Easy View" and then "Full Amenities"), we would be happy to take a look and try to ID. If you've bid to $135 and there's a HOTWIRE listing for $159, if we ID the listing, it may be worth the extra to guarantee it if it appeals. Or it may not be an accurate comparable when trying to judge a bidding strategy.

Thanks thereuare for the info.  I am not certain that the HOTWIRE 4 star is offered as a 4 star with PRICELINE.  Like you indicated in your suggested bidding strategy..it seems as though $145 is the max bid without exceeding the cost of the Hotwire property at $159.

AaronJB thanks for the recommendation that I try and i.d. the HOTWIRE property first.  It could technically be considered less than 4 starts.  I will take a look at BiddingHelper.com.com and take a look at the property so you guys can help try and i.d. it.  Thanks as always for your quick responses and help!

13 hours ago, champfrancisco said:

it seems as though $145 is the max bid without exceeding the cost of the Hotwire property at $159.

I stopped the bidding strategy at $145/nite since you said that was your maximum bid... the HOTWIRE $159/nite rate is (i'm assuming) before taxes/fees, so if you're trying to beat that rate you may even be able to bid as high as $160 or so and you would need to compare the 'all-in' rate for both to see which was actually cheaper (again, you can do both within the appropriate tabs of the BiddingHelper.com)

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or how we can be of further help.

The $159 rate has HOTWIRE total trip cost of $408.  I see what you are saying as I looked at some other hotels and they have both a Hotwire price and a Trip Total.  This hotel says has only a Hotwire Price and states that is the amount that will be charged to the card.  Maybe because it is a boutique hotel.  Here are the amenities listed for the hotel for $159 that is listed on HOTWIRE for the Rockefeller area from 5/21-5/23 according to biddinghelper.com:

Boutique hotel

Business center

Fitness center

Internet access

Pet friendly

Restaurant(s)

Spa services

Any ideas on what this could be?  From the HOTWIRE hotel list it looks like it could be either the Shoreham or The W

The W New York would be my guess for the one above, but as noted, your current bidding up to $135 is still quite a bit from the $157/nite price (thru the EASY VIEW TAB at BiddingHelper.com) of this offer.

Let us know how you decide to proceed and what you end up with OR how we can be of further help.

Ok went in to PRICELINE to try and rebid again.  I added Times Square seeing that there was a winning bit for the Sheraton for $145 that spanned my same dates.  Rejected up to $148 and I thought that was odd as there was another winning bid.  Frustrated, I went back to

HOTWIRE via the betterbidding link to get the $159 Rockefellar property.  As I as concluding the checkout process the HOTWIRE site said that my session timed out.  And of course when I went back in....the $159 property was now over $200. 

But....

I added Grand Central to the mix and searched again since it is a close enough area.  A property came up at $53/per for Grand Central with amenities (FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Boutique hotel, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access) night for a 4 star hotel.  I thought that obviously it was a glitch that would recalculate as I went it but thought I had nothing to lose.  It went through!!  The property was:

The Iroquois Hotel.

Check-in

Sat, May 21 - 03:00pm

Check-out

Mon, May 23 - 12:00pm

$53.00 per night x 2 nights x 1 room
Hotel chooses bed type

$106.00

Tax recovery charges + fees

$35.28

Hotwire total due today (USD)

$141.28

Trip total (USD) $141.28

Congrats on your success.

Glad you were able to get in on this deal as I can only guess it was a price mistake, as $53 for a 4* isn't seen even in the slowest time of year. Beyond that, the lowest price on the hotel website for these dates is $332 - $53 is certainly a ridiculous discount off full price.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

• 2 weeks later...

Well looks like it was too good to be true.  Here is an email received from Hotwire:

We are contacting you about your reservation with The Iroquois, Hotwire Itinerary xxxxxxx Hotwire has been notified that the hotel is unable to accommodate you during the period of your scheduled stay. I regret any inconvenience this may caused you. I am pleased to provide information on this matter. 

We recognize that this situation is less than ideal and do our best to work with both customers and hotel partners to reach a satisfactory resolution for all involved. In this instance, the hotel is unable to provide alternate accommodations for your stay.

As such, we would like to offer you of either canceling the reservation for a refund and receiving 25 HotDollars or we would be happy to assist you in relocating to a different hotel nearby at no additional cost to you. 

HotDollars can be used to book any Hot Rate® Car or Hot Rate® Hotel reservation on the Hotwire site. Each one is equivalent to one U.S. dollar in value and is available for one year from the date of issuance.

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to reply to this email or call us directly at 1-866-HOTWIRE (468-9473). Thank you for choosing Hotwire.

Sincerely, 
Rey L.
Hotwire Customer Care

Do you guys have any experience with this?   What would be the best way to approach Hotwire when I call?

Not sure if HOTWIRE only sent the email yesterday or if it went to an INBOX you don't use often and only first saw it yesterday, but it is a little late for HOTWIRE to be notifying you nearly 10 days later.  However, with that said, HOTWIRE has been 'doing the right thing' given the circumstances and have been re-locating guests to similarly rated hotels.

I would start with my comments in THIS POST.

Then hear how HOTWIRE has resolved the situation with others:

HERE, HERE and HERE

Let us know how things work out for your own situation.

Good luck!

The reason I noticed so late was that the email went to my junk folder for some reason.  I would never have even looked there but I was searching for something else.  

I contacted HOTWIRE today.  It took a while to explain my situation.  I was able to get transferred to the correct department. They told me that they would work to find a similar property around the same area and if there was a change in price they would cover the difference in the form of Hotdollars.  I clarified that the hotdollars would immediately be applied and not given as a form of credit for future travel.  

I was given the choice of the a few areas and hotels that were 4 stars.  I added that I wanted at least a 85% or higher which they accommodated.  I chose the 4 star in Times Sq. south that was $166/night and 90% recommended.  Turned out that it was the RIU Plaza hotel. Pretty much the same area as the Iroquois.  Seems like a nice hotel as it recently opened in March.  

Thanks for your suggestion and help.  It is good to know that Hotwire did the right thing in the end. 

Glad to hear you sorted it out and were able to work with HOTWIRE to find a satisfactory resolution. (i'm also glad to hear that HOTWIRE reached out to you earlier and it was just a matter of you not seeing the email)

Nice to see that HOTWIRE is continuing to do the right thing for their guests.

Have a great trip!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]