Hotwire Hotel: 4.5* Chicago (Downtown Chicago - Millennium Park) Chicago Athletic Association

phardy
By phardy,
in

Hi, we'll be traveling for our 40ieth birthday each to Chicago and for the first time from the 19th till 22nd of May (from Montreal) and I'd like to bid for a room, what are your recommandation, what do I need to expect, i know it's a holiday week-end for you guys no? I'm flexible on budget but best would be from 150-200 a night.. 

thanks for your help

Happy early birthdays! :biggrin:

Unfortunately, the issue with these dates is that the National Restaurant Association show is taking place starting on the 21st and that is one of the largest conventions during the year. 

There are options for all three days within the $225-245 range on HOTWIRE at the 3 1/2* level, as well as one 4.5* for $239 that has not yet been ID'd/reported to the board.

Are you driving in or flying in? If driving, there are lovely areas outside the city that would be massively less expensive (you'd probably be looking at $55-70 vs over $225 in the city) and have a lot of appeal, but it require a trek into the city.

The issue with bidding for a nice room for a couple, you have to be willing to accept any of the possibilities at the star rating in the zone when bidding. HOTWIRE or PRICELINE EXPRESS, while mildly more expensive, would allow you to have a better chance at getting something appealing for the occasion.

If you are interested in the suburban option and are driving, I'd be happy to detail what those areas are like, sights of interest, directions and any other details. Let us know your thoughts on the city situation discussed above, as well.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Bidding on PRICELINE is slightly cheaper than PRICELINE EXPRESS.  With bidding you have to be willing to accept any hotel in the zone at the star rating (or higher) that you bid... whereas PRICELINE EXPRESS gives you the ability to take a guess at the hotel you may receive as well as know additional information such as amenities, reviews, etc.

So it comes down to whether having a guess at the hotel, 'choosing' one with good reviews, and knowing the amenities (or choosing a hotel with the amenities that are important to you for this trip) are worth paying a little more... or if lowest possible price is the bottomline and most important factor.

Generally speaking the zone(s) immediately above the River are closer to the the shopping, restaurants, nightlife, etc... whereas the zone(s) immediately south of the river are closer to the museums, aquarium, etc.

Let us know your thoughts if the lowest possible price (bidding on PRICELINE) is the best option for you for this trip or if you're willing to pay a little more (PRICELINE EXPRESS and/or HOTWIRE) to have a guess as to the hotel you may receive.  Also, as $200 doesn't seem likely giving the high demand from the Restaurant Show, let us know you have revised your maximum budget and we will have a closer look and advise accordingly.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

There is a priceline express 258$ and i have an extra 10% off... 

What do you think?

4 Star Hotel in Magnificent Mile -Gold Coast Area for $258/nightThis deal saves you 20% or more compared to similar hotels*Not what you're looking for? See more PRICELINE EXPRESS Deals.

Area:If you're looking for world-class shopping, nightlife and quintessential Chicago attractions, this exciting area is an excellent choice. This lively area is home to The Magnifice... (Click to see full Description)

Star Rating:What hotel is this?

Guest Score:Rated 8.0 out of 10 (or higher)  GUEST FAVORITE

Guaranteed Amenities:

Pets Allowed

Business Center

Restaurant

Free Internet

Indoor or Outdoor Pool

Fitness Center

No Smoking Rooms/Facilities

The Sheraton Grand would be my best guess for this PRICELINE EXPRESS offer.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm not sure i really understand how it works... in the PRICELINE EXPRESS there is 4 star Downtown chicago - river north for 258 a night (i'm going may 19 till 22, I know there is a big convention :((( ) bu tif i bid let's say 225 on 4 stars downtown - river north, they ask me to raise my bid to 273 to get it.. that's more expansive than the express deal?

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread. Once you win a hotel, use the 'ADD REPLY and REPORT WIN' button on the upper right corner of the page to edit the topic title to reflect your win and to provide the details of your purchase. This helps keep the board better organized by reducing the number of unresolved threads that don't have any follow-up or conclusion.

PRICELINE is not necessarily telling you the lowest possible price that a bid would be accepted, so if your last rejected bid was at $225 and PRICELINE tells you that you can win if you're willing to bid $273... you know that the 'right' price is somewhere between $226-$273.  However, since you've done your homework (and hopefully used our BiddingHelper.com tool in order to compare prices) you know that you can increase your bidding up to $257, which if is still rejected, would then have you take the PRICELINE EXPRESS offer.

As a side note i will add that there is now this 4* Downotwn - River North hotel (confirm your dates on the landing page) for $248/nite with:

Business Center

Restaurant

Free Internet

Fitness Center

... my best guess for this one would be the Hotel Felix

You can take this one using the link above, or if you'd like to continue by bidding let us know if you would like a suggested strategy to follow and we will advise accordingly.

On HOTWIRE, I'm seeing:

4.5* Downtown-Millennium Park $229 Free Internet, Boutique hotel, Restaurant(s), Internet access

-- Not yet ID'd but a guess would be the Chicago Athletic Association.

4* Water Tower $243 Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Roll-in Shower

-- Possible match for the Knickerbocker.

Personally, I'd consider the $229 Downtown-MP listing. On the detail page, it shows a 4.5/5 tripadvisor rating, so you know you're getting a well-reviewed property. If the listing is the Chicago Athletic Association, great location. 

You can see how different the nights are in terms of how busy by searching on HOTWIRE for the first night only (5/19-20)

There's a 4* for $83 in the Water Tower area: 

Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Roll-in Shower

-- Which would likely be the Millennium Knickerbocker.

When you search for 5/20-22,

There's a 4.5* in the Water Tower area for $249 w/Restaurant, Pool, Indoor Pool, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly

-- This would be a possible match for the Omni.

$249 x 2 +83 = 581/3 = $193 and change average per night. So the average per night by doing that is a bit cheaper, but it becomes is it worth it to you to change hotels during the stay.

You may see slightly different prices than I do.

Please let us know if you have any questions before booking. I'd also be happy to answer any city questions. 

Thanks, my fallback it the Hotwire

4.5* Downtown-Millennium Park $229 Free Internet, Boutique hotel, Restaurant(s), Internet access

But right now, prices went down on priceline express, would you know what are those hotels?

4½-Star Express Deal Hotel

Magnificent Mile -Gold Coast Area   - 240$

4-Star Express Deal Hotel

Magnificent Mile -Gold Coast Area   - 259$ (more expansive than the 4.5* same neighbourhood???)

Downtown - River North Area   - 254$

Thanks

Please confirm the full list of amenities you are seeing with each and we would be happy to take a look and try to ID.

Also, if you are looking for something in particular, please let us know and we can make recommendations based upon that.

15 hours ago, phardy said:

Thanks, my fallback it the Hotwire

But right now, prices went down on priceline express, would you know what are those hotels?

Guaranteed Amenities:

Pets Allowed

Business Center

Restaurant

Free Internet

Fitness Center

Magnificent Mile -Gold Coast Area   - 260$ (more expansive than the 4.5* same neighbourhood???)

Pets Allowed

Business Center

Restaurant

Free Internet

Indoor or Outdoor Pool

Fitness Center

Guaranteed Amenities:

Business Center

Restaurant

Free Internet

Fitness Center

Thanks.

Best guess/comments for each PRICELINE EXPRESS are inline below:

Guaranteed Amenities:

Pets Allowed

Business Center

Restaurant

Free Internet

Fitness Center

==> The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago

Magnificent Mile -Gold Coast Area   - 260$ (more expansive than the 4.5* same neighbourhood???)

Pets Allowed

Business Center

Restaurant

Free Internet

Indoor or Outdoor Pool

Fitness Center

==> Sheraton Grand Chicago

Guaranteed Amenities:

Business Center

Restaurant

Free Internet

Fitness Center

==> Hotel Felix Chicago

Thanks guys

I finally went with Hotwire

And it was exactly the Chicago Athletic Association!

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see it was the hotel you were hoping for and that you're pleased with the results.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and helping us add the new amenity set for this property to the Hotwire Hotel List.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]