Hotwire Hotel: 4* Chicago (Magnificent Mile - Water Tower) MileNorth Hotel

CDP3
By CDP3,
in

My wife and I have never been to Chicago, and are not sure where to start with our upcoming May trip. It will be a three night stay, May 7-10. We'd like to stay downtown, somewhere, within walking distance of at least some tourist attractions, no problem taking the CTA where ever we need to go. All the options on Priceline and Hotwire are a bit overwhelming! Don't need a five-star (3.5-4 is okay) and would love to stay as close to $100 per night as possible. We do not plan to rent a car, so downtown parking is not an issue. Looking for the best "bang for our buck", and would appreciate any advice. 

Thanks! 

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I'm sure AaronJB will reply here as soon as he sees it, but to get you started, i'm seeing the following on PRICELINE EXPRESS (confirm your dates on the landing pages):

4* Mag Mile - Gold Coast for $96/nite with:

Restaurant, Business

==> best guess here would be the Warwick Allerton Hotel Chicago

3.5* Downtown - River North for $109/nite with:

Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Free Internet, Business

==> the Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza would be my guess here

3.5* Mag Mile - Gold Coast for $109/nite with

Business, Fitness Center

==> Doubletree Chicago Magnificent Mile would be my best guess

On HOTWIRE i also see a 4* Mag Mile - Water Tower for $101/nite with:

Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Golf, Tennis, Spa, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly

==> best guess for this one would be the MileNorth Hotel, which generally gets very good reviews

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

I'd have a look at each of the above so you're in a better position to make a decision pending comments (or other suggestions) by AaronJB.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm pleased to see the amount of reasonably priced options available during what is otherwise usually an expensive time in the city.

For me, this:

4* Mag Mile/WT, HOTWIRE $101 Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Golf, Tennis, Spa, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly

-- Likely MileNorth

Would be a key option, as that's a nice property and location couldn't be better.  $100 and under is easy in Chicago in the late Winter when it's cold, May becomes much more expensive as weather (finally) gets nicer.

The MileNorth has a fee of $7, which makes it about the same as the Doubletree. As much as I do like Doubletree Cookies, I'd rather recommend the MileNorth for about the same total price.

The Holiday Inn Mart Plaza is somewhat out of the way, but given where it is, a number of rooms do have very nice views. Or, if you don't stay there, there is a bar next to the check-in that has great river views.

I would recommend considering taking the MilleNorth reasonably soon, as other comparable options for these dates are generally notably more expensive, making the potential MileNorth listing very appealing to anyone shopping for these dates.

I'm also very familiar with the city and would be happy to offer recommendations (let me know likes/dislikes) on sights and restaurants.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

From BiddingHelper.com:

FULL AMENITIES: Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Golf nearby, Tennis nearby, Spa services, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower

Hotline also mentioned a fee "about 7 dollars" so was pretty sure it was the MileNorth. Thanks for everyone's help.

Used the HOTWIRE link (and Bidding Helper), and have posted my win.

Thanks to thereuare and AaronJB. Got MileNorth for $101. My wife and I are excited about our upcoming stay and trip.

Out of curiosity, I saw another 4*, Mag Mile-Water Tower, for $93, also for 5/7 to 5/10. Wonder which one this was:

FULL AMENITIES: Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you received the hotel you were hoping for and are looking forward to your trip... nice score.

The 'other' property you just posted would appear to be the Warwick Allerton Hotel Chicago, but admittedly i didn't dig too deeply as we try not to research hotels that are not being considered for an immediate purchase... this helps us reply to everyone who is requesting help in a timely manner.

Thank you for sharing your results and using the HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your purchase.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'd also guess that one was the Warwick Allerton, which is actually pretty much "around the corner" from the MileNorth. However, that is an older property and the basic rooms are pretty small. The MileNorth - I think - was/is a preferable option. 

Definitely let me know if you have any city questions and I'd be happy to offer recommendations.

Enjoy your stay.

• 2 weeks later...

If it were up to me, the upcoming trip would be just pizza and baseball. Will definitely take in a Cubs game, and White Sox too. Leaning towards the Cubs Monday night game, and perhaps the Wrigley tour at 3pm before that. Guess my wife and like the regular "touristy" things, but aren't that much into museums/arts. Would like a boat sightseeing trip, maybe both the River and the Lake. We will pick one of the two tall buildings to go to the top. We're there about 3.5 days, surely not enough time to do everything, especially on our first trip there. Any "can't miss" recommendations I have not yet mentioned?

I do like Wrigley from the standpoint of the historic nature of the field and the area - it's a great area with a lot of restaurants. In other words, if you get there early (which I'd recommend), it's a nice area and there are things to do. The Red Line's really the only way to get there and as a result, closer to the game it does get crowded so I'd try to head up there a bit early. I do like the Wendella boat tours, but the Chicago Architecture Foundation tour (they leave from the opposite sides of the Michigan Ave bridge) is another perfectly fine option. There are also water taxis, which don't provide a guided tour, but are way cheaper. You can take the water taxi to Chinatown. Navy Pier is in the process of being renovated and it's getting a little better but it's still very much a tourist trap.

Michigan Ave is popular but I generally have the philosophy that a lot of it can be found elsewhere for cheaper. There are resale shops throughout the neighborhoods that are a treasure hunt where you can find things cheaper, including the high-end Luxury Garage Sale (http://www.yelp.com/biz/luxury-garage-sale-chicago) in Old Town. 

I'd rather suggest the River North area for restaurants or browsing through the Lincoln Park area. If one was in the mood for a very, very long walk, there's actually a lengthy walk that goes from the North side through Lincoln Park, past the Zoo and Old Town and all the way back to Michigan Ave. The Old Town area is also right near Lincoln Park/LP Zoo and includes famed theater Second City, as well as stops like the Spice House (http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-spice-house-chicago, even if you don't get anything, it's a feast for the senses just walking in.) LP Zoo is also free and well worth a look. If you do decide to go to a museum, Art Institute is pretty remarkable, both in terms of their collection and the fact that the place is architecturally gorgeous.

Let me know if you have any questions at all.

Most inexpensive is the L.  You'll get the Blue Line at ORD and then get off at Washington and switch to the Red Line and take that a couple stops North to Chicago. Get off at Chicago and walk remainder. Or if you take the Blue Line and get off there it would not be a long taxi ride to the door rather than getting on another L. Otherwise, you're pretty much taking a taxi to the hotel, which is not cheap - O'hare is a ways out..

I'll agree on Second City and the Art Institute being good ideas if it rains, as well as the Hancock Observatory (or a drink at the Signature Lounge rather than paying for the observatory) or Sears Tower Skydeck. Also, you could fit in anything you wanted to see on Michigan Ave. Old Town is also a nice option near Second City.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]