Priceline Hotel: NYC Mid September

mico24
By mico24,
in

Got lucky and scored tickets to see Adele at MSG Sept. 22.  Looking to spend the week in NYC.  Already have tickets to one show, probably going to do at least one more.  Also want to see the sights, including Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty.  Need suggestions on best area to stay, price I should expect to pay.  3.5* or higher.  Very familiar with bidding on Priceline, just not very familiar with NYC.  Looking at Sept. 19-24, flexible.  Any advice appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Note that if you intend to go to the Statue of Liberty this will be nearly an all day affair, so you would need to decide if you want to commit a full day of your vacation to this (if not there are other options for doing a 'drive-by' to see the Statue, but not really getting off at Liberty Island itself).

Most visitors to the city look to stay in/near midtown which typically provides easy access to the subway, which is important, as the area you stay in NYC is more of a 'launching pad' to get elsewhere in the city as opposed to necessarily spending most of your time in the immediate area of your hotel.

I'm currently see what looks to be the 4* W New York for $192/nite.  This hotel has small rooms, but the location is good, and while not walkable to MSG, it's about 4 blocks from the M train which will have you at MSG in about 10 minutes or less.

Your thoughts on this property or were you looking to try bidding on PRICELINE?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 month later...

Thanks.  Sorry for the delayed response.  Still looking.  Where did you see the W at $192?  We have reserved tickets for the Statue of Liberty.  Not our first time to NYC, so seeing "everything" not really a priority.  Definitely want to see 911 memorial.  Can only get those tix 3 months in advance.  Appreciate any more suggestions on hotels.  Probably going to try bidding on Priceline.  Have had great success in the past in lots of different locations. 

How far in advance do you recommend doing the bidding process, vs simply booking a room? 

4 hours ago, mico24 said:

Where did you see the W at $192?

That as over a month ago and is not currently offered.

4 hours ago, mico24 said:

Appreciate any more suggestions on hotels.  Probably going to try bidding on Priceline.

If your likely next move is to bid on PRICELINE i don't see much point in us researching and/oor offering suggestions on hotels (as just like the W New York, they may or may not be the ones that offered once you're ready to move forward and commit to a purchase).  If you're ready to start bidding now and would like help with a suggested bidding strategy, let us know your desired star rating, which zone(s) are acceptable, and your maximum bid... we will advise accordingly.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

How far in advance do you recommend bidding through Priceline?  I'm very familiar with the process.  Just not sure when the best time.  I don't normally know this far in advance when I use Priceline.  Usually just a few weeks or maybe a couple months ahead of time.

We recommend starting to bid as soon as your plans are firm... but making sure you don't overbid.

Using our BiddingHelper.com and/or MAPS and HOTELS.com tools to 'know' what a good rate would be for the star rating and zones that you're bidding.  Then based upon current rates determine how much of a discount would you need to make locking in a deal today worthwhile... that is your maximum bid (which can change over time as you get closer to your check-in date)

The following is just an easy example and not specific to your dates (as i haven't researched rates since your original post):

1) if you could win a hotel for these dates today at $100 would you be willing to lock in that deal today? (i suspect YES!!!)

2) if the best you could do today was $300 would it be worth locking in today? (i suspect NO)

==> so your maximum bid lies somewhere between $100-$300 (based upon current rates you find for these dates and how much of a discount you feel would making moving forward with the purchase worthwhile)

Keep us updated on your progress and what you ultimately end up with or how we can be of further help along the way.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]