Priceline Hotel: 4* San Juan (San Juan - Condado) The Condado Plaza Hilton

jmuls
By jmuls,
in

Some areas of San Juan are touristy, some are city-like, and some have the nice beaches... what is it that you're looking for in a hotel for your upcoming trip?

What are the dates of your stay?  What is your desired star rating and expected budget? (per nite before fees/taxes)

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

just put a fare lock on san juan from march 3 to march 9 . I have seen the vanderbuilt at 160ish as a win, I also saw a 5 star on priceline express for 250 ( thinking same place )  4 star is good as well, i will keep you posted as i start bidding. are there a lot of 5 stars there ?

You can see all hotels reported to the board in the Priceline Hotel List and Hotwire Hotel List.

Have you decided which zones you'd like to stay in and your maximum budget (per nite before taxes/fees)?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I see a few bids between 160 and 180 with a PRICELINE EXPRESS deal at 250 for a 5 star and there is only the vanderbuilt. I would be ok with those numbers but there are lots of zones so should be able to figure it out quick enough. Is there a time frame for priceline bids, I see no reason for them to give it to me 3 weeks out, I usually bid much closer and it is peak season

3 hours ago, jmuls said:

I see no reason for them to give it to me 3 weeks out

If 3 weeks out a hotel's data (they have lots of it) shows that they should be at 85% occupancy, and they're currently at 60% occupancy, then why wouldn't they offer rooms at a deep discount thru the opaque suppliers (even though it's 3+ weeks out)?

Another scenario... a few days before check-in a hotel has empty rooms, but bookings/revenue is higher than the same date the previous year, they may not discount those rooms at all, as:

1) they have already beaten last year's numbers (likely one of the major criteria the hotel is evaluated on)

2) most people already have their plans set and lowering the price will not effect demand that much (and certainly not as much at a time when most people are still in the planning stage of their trip)

3) if only a few rooms remaining then keep them at full price to sell to anyone walk-in customers (who are more likely to pay whatever the asking rate is rather than start to drive around town looking for a better rate)

4) you have the viewpoint that the hotel wants to fill a room which would otherwise sit empty... but the hotel's viewpoint is that you need a place to sleep in just a few days and don't yet have one

5) even if the hotel could increase their occupancy from 60% to 100% by lowering the price a few days before arrival, they then also have a staffing issue since the employee schedule (likely made at least 2 weeks in advance) is based upon 60% occupancy, and they would then need to start calling in employees to handle the sudden increase in bookings (which is not good for worker morale and retention)

Lastly, if it is high season, hotels may be near full occupancy and last minute rates can be even higher than booking far in advance (see original scenario).

BOTTOM LINE:  sometimes the best deals are far in advance, other times closer to check-in... but 'know' what a good price is (use our BiddingHelper.com to see rates from PRICELINE EXPRESS, HOTWIRE, and 'regular' rates all in one search) and start your bidding early... if you see a good price take it.

Let us know if/when you're ready to move forward and how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

Not a butt kicking... education!

It's a common mistake to think that the best deals are always available at the very last minute... we have seen great deals months in advance as well as the day before, it all depends upon the given situation (as indicated above)

Keep us updated on your progress for this stay and let us know how we can be of further help along the way.

I believe it is very common and  I appreciate the lesson.   There is only one 5 star hotel listed , the vanderbuilt and a 5 star listed for 250 on priceline. It would be logical that they are the same ? Would you agree it is the vanderbuilt. I bid yesterday and quit at 195, they countered at 260 but I am guessing it will go in the low 200s  The 4 stars are a bit dicey as some have you take a shuttle to the beach which is fine by me but the girl friend is not to keen on that, but a good value if I could get the stellaris I would buy it, but getting rid of the resort option has muddied the waters

Is this the 5 Star San Juan hotel (confirm your dates on the landing page) you're referring to, with:

Pets Allowed
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
Indoor or Outdoor Pool
Fitness Center

... if so, then my best guess for this one would be the Condado Vanderbilt Hotel.

I'm also see this 4* Isla Verde property (again, confirm your dates on the landing page) for $212/nite with:

Pets Allowed
Business Center
Restaurant
Indoor or Outdoor Pool
... my guess here would be the San Juan Water And Beach Club Hotel should this be of any interest (i've never stayed here but i know it's on a very good stretch of beach in Isla Verde)

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Keep in mind that if you bid on PRICELINE the hotel you receive the first nite may not be the same hotel you receive for the subsequent nite(s).

Is the idea of SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID to take a guess as to what you will receive for the longer purchase, a cheaper hotel since you're arriving so late, staying closer to the airport, etc... why do you hope to gain by making one purchase for the first nite and then a second purchase for the balance of your trip?

Bid one night at 115 accepted, was hoping not to get the doubletree. Bid the remaining nights at 110 and remained the hilton.  There are a few reviews about mold and general lack of upkeep.  I understand room is given at check in but can you reach out  to the management or ?                     Used the PRICELINE links as always, Also wanted to rent a bike, saw 1 place on tripadviser.     THX                         Joe

Congratulations on your success!

You are now a customer of the hotel so feel free to reach out to them and ask any questions that you have regarding the property or the surrounding area.

You'll find that even the best hotels in San Juan have a significant number of negative reviews.  It's an expensive hotel market, and with a higher rate guests often expect more, but in San Juan things frequently fall a little of expectations.  While part of the US, the Puerto Rico is still very much an 'island culture' with a laid a slower pace than the mainland, so when a hotel employee says "right away" it may actually mean in an hour or so... this can be interpreted as poor service, when in reality is more so just a difference in cultures.

When you reach out to the hotel i'd also ask them about bike rentals... they may have their own or an arrangement with a local place that may offer a good price or have the bicycles waiting for you at the hotel upon your arrival (and pick them up when your stay is done)

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your purchase.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]