Hotwire Hotel: 4* New York City (Empire State Building) 70 Park Avenue - Kimpton Hotel

griffpitt
By griffpitt,
in

Looking for hotel for 45 year old wife and her two sisters in Manhattan for bday.  They're going to a show.  Have used Hotwire before, but for myself and business travel and I am not picky.  Want to find something nice for the three of them.  1 room is ok.  I normally don't go below 4 stars with Hotwire.  Should I definitely book 4* for this trip?  What will a 3* get me in Manhattan?  What do people think about booking "boutique" hotels vs regular?  

What do I do next?  List out Hotwire options?  If yes, below are two that look promising.  For comparison purposes, I can get a regular (non-Hotwire) booking at 70 Park Ave (Kimpton) at $270 per night.

Union Square - Flatiron area hotel - $200 per night, regular $374 4*

90% recommended

Hotel features

Complimentary

Free Internet

Amenities

Business centerFitness centerRestaurant(s)

Accessibility

Accessible for visually impairedAccessible for hearing impairedAccessible path of travelIn-room accessibility

Empire State Building area boutique hotel - $209 per night, regular $324 4*

100% recommended

Hotel features

Complimentary

Free Internet

Amenities

Boutique hotelBusiness centerFitness centerPet friendlyRestaurant(s)Smoke-free roomsSpa services

Welcome to BetterBidding!

You can see all hotels reported to the board in our Hotwire Hotel List.

For the HOTWIRE offers I believe there are more amenities then what you have posted above as HOTWIRE has a new interface that does not show the complete set of amenities unless you search using the EASY VIEW TAB of our BiddingHelper.com tool.

If you repeat your search using our BiddingHelper.com tool... use the HOTWIRE EASY VIEW tab and then click the GREEN BUTTON next to each of these listings, do you see more amenities (including any accessible amenities) then what you have listed above? Using this method, below is the full list of amenities i'm seeing for each:

4* Union Square

Restaurant, Fitness, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Roll-in Shower

--> not certain, but the Hyatt Herald Square New York would be my guess for this one

4* Empire State Building

Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Spa, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly

--> 70 Park Ave

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

here are the amenities for 4* Empire State Bldg.  Still think it's 70 Park?  If yes, that'd be great.    however, it went up from 209 to 234 in 24 hrs.  Do you have any guidance on price increases/decreases on HOTWIRE?  Should i book...wait?

FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Spa services, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Nobody can say if rates will come down, or move even higher, between now and your trip, but the hotel was $231/nite last nite when i checked (if i recall correctly) thru the EASY VIEW TAB of our BiddingHelper.com (where it is still priced at $231/nite on my screen)

Whether to book now or wait depends how much you want to try to target this specific property (still no guarantees)...and the other risk besides the price going up/down is that the offer could disappear entirely at any time.

I'll also point out there is also a 4.5* hotel in the ESB for $228/nite with the following amenities:

Free Internet

Boutique

Fitness

Business

Laundry

Hi-Speed Internet

... best guess for this one would be the St. Giles - The Tuscany which also tends to get excellent reviews.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

OK.  Thanks.  Last questions...I promise!  BTW, I am not seeing the ESB 4.5* for $228?  Also, seem to get very different results from biddinghelper EasyView and biddinghelper link to HOTWIRE...should I?  Also, I don't seem to be able to see % rating in EasyView...should I?  Regardless will purchase today and post my results.  thanks!

4* Midtown East $190 FULL AMENITIES: Boutique hotel, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower

4* ESB $236 FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Spa services, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower (think this is 70 Park Ave?)

4* Grand Central $217 FULL AMENITIES: Boutique hotel, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower

5* Rock Center $249 FULL AMENITIES: Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Self-service laundry, Internet access, Spa services, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Wheelchair accessible, Accessible bathroom  (Any general advice on a 5* vs 4 or 4.5?)

4* Union Square Flatiron $226 FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Boutique hotel, Fitness center, Business center, Self-service laundry, Internet access

4* Times Square South $238 FULL AMENITIES: Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility

4* Upper East Side $240 FULL AMENITIES: Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Self-service laundry, Internet access

Researching hotels can be a time consuming process.  Even if it only takes 3 minutes to research each hotel (it can often take much longer) the above would take us 20+ minutes which does not enable us to answer everyone that is looking for help in a timely manner.

I'm very familiar with NYC, if you let us know exactly what criteria it is that is important to your wife and her group for this trip (price, location, star rating, etc) we will be able to pick out the best options for you/her to choose from.

What is the maximum budget (per nite before taxes/fees) for this trip?

location is flexible, so long as its in Manhattan.  They are in town to see a Broadway show, but are generally flexible.  star rating i would say 4* or higher.  i'd rather not pay much over $200, but would go as high as as $240-ish for something really nice.  I think i can book 70 park ave on their website directly for around 250-260.  restaurant is not needed, spa is helpful, but not required.  I think a boutique hotel might be better, but don't know for sure.  anything else you need?

thanks! 

5* $244 Rockefeller Restaurant, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Spa, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Wheelchair Accessible

-- My guess would be the New York Palace

4* Grand Central $217 Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Roll-in Shower

-- Likely Lexington.

4* ESB $234  Free Internet, Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Spa services, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower

-- Not yet ID'd/reported. The 70 Park Ave with a different amenity set would be a guess.

4* TS South Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible

-- My guess is that the Row has been upgraded to 4*.

Please keep us updated with what you decide and let us know if you have additional questions.

9 hours ago, griffpitt said:

i'd rather not pay much over $200, but would go as high as as $240-ish for something really nice

9 hours ago, griffpitt said:

I think i can book 70 park ave on their website directly for around 250-260

Given you say your max is $240/nite, and ideally would like to keep it closer to $200/nite... is this really an option?

Any interest in any of the hotels named by AaronJB above?

Booked 70 Park Ave/Kimpton at $190 per night.  It showed as 4* ESB.  For 2 nights with 3 people and taxes/fees it was $489.  How do i ensure that i get two beds?

FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Spa services, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you received the hotel you were hoping for from the onset... and within your budget!

HOTWIRE guarantees accommodations for the number of guests you included in your search,.. you can call the hotel to see what type of room you have been assigned and/or request the type of room you would like.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]