Priceline Hotel: 4* San Francisco (Fishermans Wharf) Sheraton Fishermans Wharf

Prince Vegeta
By Prince Vegeta,
in

Hey everyone,

First and foremost I'd appreciate any help that I could get in trying to bid on Priceline, and thanks in advance for any help.

I am from Brisbane, Australia and I am finally taking my long desired holiday to the states. I will be needing accommodation everywhere I go, and after researching a bit I am pretty happy with what I can find, excluding San Francisco (and maybe New York - might post separately in that forum). Anyhow, San Francisco is a touch more expensive than I expected, and with the falling aussie dollar I need to try and save as much as I can.

I will be arriving in San Francisco on the 30th of March, and leaving on a road trip on the 6th of April (after catching  warriors game on the 5th). I would prefer to stay around Fishermans Wharf, with the Marina - Lombard Street, and Financial District - Embarcadero as my secondary choices, and Union Square East and West as my third preferences.

I would prefer my hotels to be a minimum of 3.5 stars (as from what I have read some of the 3.5 star hotels match the 4 stars in the area). The cheapest hotel I have been able to find in Fisherman's Wharf is the Sheraton (well at least I am pretty sure its the Sheraton) under the express deals tab, which is at $214USD a night. Considering I am staying for a week I would prefer to get somewhere under the $200 mark, possibkly $150?

I am not even sure what to expect in terms of pricing per night, but most I have looked at are a lot more expensive. Also, would it be better to wait closer to the date, or should I get it booked now? I really don't know what the better approach would be.

Thanks

Prince Vegeta

Welcome to Betterbidding! :biggrin:

Unfortunately, San Francisco has really become a more expensive hotel city in recent years. However, I do think that under $200 is certainly doable for these dates and while $150 or under may be difficult, I do think getting something in the $150 vicinity is possible. Fisherman's Wharf and the Financial District are going to be more expensive. I am seeing options on HOTWIRE around $160 for a 4*,including a 4.5* in USE w/Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Spa, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly for $161. That would be a possible match for the Zelos (which used to be the Palomar.)

There is no way to know if rates will go lower, although with our free RateDrop.com service, you can get alerts on HOTWIRE, PRICELINE EXPRESS and regular rate price declines. Bidding would be cheaper, but you have to be willing to accept any of the possibilities based on the specifics you choose (zone, star rating.) With HOTWIRE or PRICELINE EXPRESS, you may pay slightly-to-moderately more, but you may be able to make an educated guess as to which hotels are showing based on the information given.

Let us know your thoughts and we would be happy to go into further detail.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

To add a few more options to this thread, below are some suggestions and my best guess for each (confirm all dates on the landing pages):

3.5* Union Square West for $175/nite with:

Indoor or Outdoor Pool, Pets Allowed, Restaurant, Free Internet, Business Center, Fitness Center

... best guess would be the Handlery Union Square Hotel

4 star Fishermans Wharf for $177/nite with:

Indoor or Outdoor Pool, Pets Allowed, Restaurant, Free Internet, Business Center, Fitness Center

... best guess would be the Sheraton Fishermans Wharf

4 star Union Square East for $184/nite with:

Pets Allowed, Restaurant, Business Center, Fitness Center

... best guess would be the Mark Hopkins Intercontinental

Any of the above work fro your needs and budget?

If you go with one of the offers above let us know how it goes OR let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. I have looked extensively into these options. I would have thought that the dates I am visiting would have been off peak. With this in mind I am highly considering risking the wait then booking a week or less out from the day I arrive. It seems that prices drastically decrease closer to the date of booking (depending on the dates), and as I am going during off peak I thought it wouldn't be too hard getting a place to stay and potentially a better deal.

Also, I am not entirely sure as to what district to stay in. I have to take in account public transport costs if I stay near union station and want to get down to the bay all the time. Plus if I am staying a week I wouldn't mind a place with half a view.

When I bid I will definitely go through the link on this site. Thanks again for you opinions and options

"  It seems that prices drastically decrease closer to the date of booking (depending on the dates), and as I am going during off peak I thought it wouldn't be too hard getting a place to stay and potentially a better deal. "

There is no way to know, they may go lower, but given how busy San Francisco has become over the last few years, that is definitely a risk. In general, in the years since 2008, with more traffic, there's been less in the way of last-minute price declines and more in the way of prices heading the other way.

You can use our RateDrop.com free service to get updates on price declines for HOTWIRE, PRICELINE EXPRESS and regular rates.

Thank you for keeping us updated and let us know if you have additional questions.

I assume that $177/nite rate is thru PRICELINE EXPRESS?

If so, when bidding, there is no way to know if you will receive this same property or some other 4* hotel... based upon the $177 rate for what you believe to be the Sheraton, how high would you be willing to bid for any 4* or higher hotel in the zone?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes that correct, it was $177 through priceline express.

Well I could only find 2 hotels in Fisherman's Wharf at 4*, and I would stay at either one, so not too picky there. In all honesty I would pay the asking price of $177 on priceline express, just wanted to see if I could get it a bit cheaper. So lets say $170 would be my max

"Well I could only find 2 hotels in Fisherman's Wharf at 4*..."

If you look at the top of the  Priceline Hotel List, you will see the comment that all the lists only contain hotels that members have reported as getting via PRICELINE bidding.  There actually are 3 4* hotels in the list, and there is always the possibility of getting one not yet reported (speaking from experience).  

When bidding 4 star in the San Francisco area you have SEVEN re-bid zones.  If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

(NOTE: 're-bid zone1 is not the same as priceline's Zone1, 're-bid zone2' is not the same as priceline's Zone2, etc, etc)

Select 4* Fishermans Wharf...
Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone1...
Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone2...
Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone3...
Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone4...
Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone5...
Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone6...
Bid $153, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Fishermans Wharf and re-bid zone7...
Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone1...
Bid $158, if rejected add re-bid zone2...
Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone3...
Bid $163, if rejected add re-bid zone4...
Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone5...
Bid $168, if rejected add re-bid zone6...
Bid $170

If the above is rejected then take the 4 star Priceline Express offer (confirm your dates on the landing page) for $177/nite with Indoor or Outdoor Pool, Pets Allowed, Restaurant, Free Internet, Business Center, Fitness Center.

Any questions feel free to ask (especially confirming your re-bid zones if you're new to the subject matter or unsure)

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

thereuare, thanks for the method above.

I have read over the priceline re-bidding explained, but I am a little cautious to go ahead and start bidding before I know exactly what I am doing, as I am worried I will get a hotel in a location I don't want. Am i right in presuming that I have to find zones that don't have 4* hotels in them in order to re-bid in the Fisherman's Wharf zone that I do want? 

12 hours ago, Prince Vegeta said:

thereuare, thanks for the method above.

I have read over the priceline re-bidding explained, but I am a little cautious to go ahead and start bidding before I know exactly what I am doing, as I am worried I will get a hotel in a location I don't want. Am i right in presuming that I have to find zones that don't have 4* hotels in them in order to re-bid in the Fisherman's Wharf zone that I do want? 

Yes, you are right, but it is important to correctly determine those zones.  thereuare included a link to the method in his most recent post.  Once you think you've got it, it is an extremely good idea to post back the zones you believe are the right ones so somebody here can double check your findings.  

You have to know the right way to do it because things change regularly.  You have to determine the right zones just before each bidding session rather than relying on some old list.  

15 hours ago, Prince Vegeta said:

Am i right in presuming that I have to find zones that don't have 4* hotels in them

Correct, but to take it even further, you want to find zones that don't have any 4* or higher hotels in them (this may not be a pertinent point for this area, but a point that you should be aware of for when you bid other areas in the future)

Try the following...

1) Use the BiddingHelper.com search box on the upper left side of this page, enter your city and dates, and click "GO".

2) in the PRICELINE BIDDNG tab, list each zone that is offered in this region.  

3) Next to each zone list the highest star rating offered in the zone.  The way to determine the highest star rating offered in the zone is by selecting the first zone i the list, then scrolling down to see the highest star rating selectable (ie- not greyed out).  NEXT UNcheck the selected zone, place a checkmark in the next zone, and repeat the process for each zone in the region.  Each time you take note of the highest star rating in the zone, make sure that only ONE zone is selected above.

4) post your findings and we'll take it from there If you don't follow the above just post back and we'll break it down further.

Any questions feel free to ask.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, my apologies. I was going to get my accommodation a few weeks ago, but ended up holding off. I have no choice now, need to get my bookings done. So I plan to lock in my accommodation today. Again, would prefer to stay in Fisherman's Wharf. Was keen on either the Sheraton or similar, depending on what is available and the price range. Would prefer to keep it under $200 still, and would like a 4* still.

Thanks for your help

Still SEVEN re-bid zones when bidding 4 star i San Francisco and i would revise the previous strategy as follows:

Select 4* Fishermans Wharf...
Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone1...
Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone2...
Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone3...
Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone4...
Bid $153, if rejected add re-bid zone5...
Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone6...
Bid $158, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Fishermans Wharf and re-bid zone7...
Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone1...
Bid $163, if rejected add re-bid zone2...
Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone3...
Bid $168, if rejected add re-bid zone4...
Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone5...
Bid $173, if rejected add re-bid zone6...
Bid $175

If the above is rejected you can take this 4* Fishermans Wharf hotel (confirm your dates on the landing page) for $177/nite with Indoor or Outdoor Pool, Pets Allowed, Restaurant, Free Internet, Business Center, Fitness Center... which i'm guessing to be The Sheraton.

Let us know how it goes or if you have any questions regarding the above.

Thanks again thereuare,

I bid and won Sheraton's Fisherman's Wharf through your link for PRICELINE. I had to adjust my bidding strategy because as soon as I signed up and gave my Australia address it converted my bid from USD to AUD.

If my conversion is correct I won the hotel at $175 USD a night (excluding taxes), and it was about $60 or $70 dollars cheaper that the PRICELINE EXPRESS deal for the week. Can't complain about that :)

Thanks to everyone's for their help

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]