Priceline Hotel: NY Jun 23-27

cheeze037
By cheeze037,
in

Hello everyone,

We are 4 people travelling to NY from Jun 23 - 27 and need some help / recommendation. There are 2 elders in our group so I prefer a hotel in Manhattan to prevent long traveling from outskirts. Our budget (for 1 2-double-bed room that accommodates 4 people, or 2 rooms with 2 people each) is 150$/night, 4* would be awesome but considering hotel price is quite expensive in summer, 3* is ok for us. Please help to advise us which area should we choose and which strategy shoud we take

Before knowing Betterbidding, I have researched and found the best offer is from Best Western in Long Island, 170$ with free breakfast. It's not in central area so I'm not really into it, but if we can't find any better offer in Manhattan, maybe we'll go with Best Western (?)

Please help. Thanks a lot

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

The issue with PRICELINE is that it does not guarantee two beds. One can call the hotel and request two beds but the hotel can say yes, no or charge more. The special situation with NYC is that rooms are generally small or very small and two beds is usually a paid upgrade.

In this case, HOTWIRE (where you can search for 4 people and then get bedding for the whole party) or PRICELINE EXPRESS (where you can search for a listing with bed choice) would be better options. Are you seeing a listing that would fit your budget when searching on either service? 

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

On Priceline Express I've found

- 3 Star Hotel in Central Park South Area for $187/night for 2 double beds. Amenities: Restaurant, Business Center

- 3½ Star Hotel in Upper West Side Area, 2 double beds is $222. Amenities: Business Center, Free Internet, Fitness Center

- 3 Star Hotel in Upper West Side Area, 2 double beds is $211. Amenities: Business Center, Free Internet, Indoor or Outdoor Pool, Condo, Fitness Center

Others are either too expensive or doesn't have 2 double beds option. Could you help to guess what's above hotel. Also, I see that although there is 2 double beds option, there's also a note that say "All rooms will accommodate up to 2 adults." Would that be a problem if we stay 4?

All PRICELINE rooms are for double occupancy.  The issue of having four guests presenting a problem goes down significantly when there are two beds in the room, but you could still find a hotel that takes issue with the extra guests (as it's more wear and tear on the room, uses more water, towels, etc, etc)

If this is a risk you'd rather not take then HOTWIRE would be a better option as they will allow you to search for up to quad occupancy and ensures sleeping accommodations for everyone you include in your search (while this usually means two beds, the second 'bed' could be a rollaway brought into the room, a pullout sofabed, etc)

All of the hotels above are above your $150 budget... are you willing to increase your maximum to $200+ at this point in time?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

5 hours ago, thereuare said:

All PRICELINE rooms are for double occupancy.  The issue of having four guests presenting a problem goes down significantly when there are two beds in the room, but you could still find a hotel that takes issue with the extra guests (as it's more wear and tear on the room, uses more water, towels, etc, etc)

If this is a risk you'd rather not take then HOTWIRE would be a better option as they will allow you to search for up to quad occupancy and ensures sleeping accommodations for everyone you include in your search (while this usually means two beds, the second 'bed' could be a rollaway brought into the room, a pullout sofabed, etc)

As long as it's not "illegal" for 4 people to stay in a room that saying for 2 people, I don't find any issues. 

5 hours ago, thereuare said:

All of the hotels above are above your $150 budget... are you willing to increase your maximum to $200+ at this point in time?

Yes, I'm willing to raise it to $200+ if the hotel is really good (location, facilities etc.). I'm really interested in 3 Star Hotel in Upper West Side Area, 2 double beds for $211 (no.3 in the list above) if that's a good one. Do you have any other suggestion? (bidding 2 rooms on Priceline for ~$100 each would be better, etc?).

I'm going to check Hotwire now to see if there is any good offer. Meanwhile any recommendation and opinion is very much appreciated.

Hotwire got really good offers (all below is 1 room for 4):

1/ 2* Chelsea area hotel, $177

95% recommended

Free breakfast

Wheelchair accessible

2/ 2* Greenpoint - Williamsburg area hotel, $158

Doesnt have recommendation score

Free Internet 

Amenities

Business center

Self-service laundry

3/ 4* Lower East Side - East Village area hotel, $187

75%

Free Internet

Amenities

Business center

Fitness center

4/ 3.5* Lower East Side - East Village area hotel, $189 

70%

Free breakfast

Amenities

Business centerFitness centerInternet accessSmoke-free rooms

5/ 4* Upper East Side area boutique hotel, $192

75%

Boutique hotel

Business center

Fitness center

Internet access

Pet friendly

Restaurant(s)

Self-service laundry

6/ 3* World Trade Center - Wall Street area hotel, $193

75%

Free Internet

Free breakfast

Amenities

Business center

Fitness center

Pet friendly

Smoke-free rooms

I really like no.4 and no.6 since they offer free breakfast - save time thinking what to eat (no. 2 is cheaper but it's 2* so I guess it's going to be like a hostel?) . Are their location of no.4 and no.6 convenient, provided we'll use metro most of the time?

Also, compare with 3 options from Priceline (please refer to my post above), which one do you think has best value?

Thanks a lot for helping us.

5 hours ago, cheeze037 said:

As long as it's not "illegal" for 4 people to stay in a room that saying for 2 people, I don't find any issues. 

It's usually more of a case of hotel policy (and additional fees for more than double occupancy) but it could also technically be illegal should the room, as per fire code, only be designated for double occupancy (NYC hotel rooms are notoriously small and some rooms are indeed only designed for double occupancy)

We're happy to help with your trip, but we need a little help from you as well in trying to narrow down exactly what is important to you for this trip... price, location, star rating, amenities, etc.

For example, as you're finding 3*-4* rated hotels within Manhattan are you really considering a 2 star hotel in Greenpoint - Williamsburg? (if so, why??)

All hotels are individually researched (and double checked further for increased confidence once we have a guess) so it can be a time consuming operation.  Even if each hotel only takes 3 minutes (it can often take much longer) the 6 HOTWIRE hotels above, plus the 3 PRICELINE EXPRESS offers, we're looking at nearly 30 minutes, which doesn't enable us time to answer everyone on the board that is looking for help in a timely manner.

I'm very familiar with NYC and i'm sure if you let us know exactly what your priorities (location, budget, star rating, etc) are for this trip we can easily determine the best options that meet your criteria.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi thereuare,

Sorry to make you confused. Greenpoint - Williamsburg sounds nothing wrong to me, I didn't know that it's a bad area compared with others. I put it in the list because it is the cheapest result I could find.

My priorities are: 

- Budget $150-$200 for 4 persons

- Star rating: 3-4*

Thanks.

Are you OK with a PRICELINE EXPRESS option that indicates two beds in the room OR stick with HOTWIRE for quad occupancy?

This is what i would do...

Search HOTWIRE for 2adults/0children for your dates and there will be a 4* hotel in the ESB zone for $191/nite (your price may differ by a few dollars one way or the other... there may actually be two that are around this price so match sure the details match as indicated in the rest of this message).  Click thru and the amenities should show:

Business
Fitness
Hi-Speed Internet
Pet Friendly
Laundry
Smoke Free
... and more importantly show a 4.5/5.0 TA rating as well as a BED CHOICE:

2 Queens for an extra $14/nite so coming in at $205/nite

If you want to play the occupancy issue a little safer you can search for 2adults/2children and the same property appears for $208/ntie (again, your price may differ by a dollar or two... when searching like this the price is the same when choosing 2 Queen beds on the next page).  Using this method i wouldn't call the hotel beforehand since you have booked for quad occupancy and know the room has 2 Queen beds.  Should anybody question it when you check-in (i doubt they will) you let them know that at the last minute your teenage kids had a school/sport event that they didn't want to miss so they stayed home and you took your parents instead.

I'm not 100% certain of this hotel, but my guess would be either the Affinia Shelburne or the Affinia Dumont and either would be a good deal given you can choose your bed configuration.  Even if some other property i'd be comfortable with this given the 4.5/5.0 TA rating, 90% recommendation by previous HOTWIRE guests, and 4.5/5.0 across the board on all the criteria HOTWIRE asks previous guests to rate (ie- one of which is Location!)

Does this offer work for your needs?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]