Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* Chicago (Loop - Theater District) La Quinta Inn and Suites Chicago Downtown

arnovdb
By arnovdb,
in

I am planning a stay in Chicago starting July 18 until July 22 for 2 adults and a 15 years old kid. The best option for a centrally located hotel looks like a 4* Magnificient Mile Water tower for 140 USD.

FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Golf nearby, Tennis nearby, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Wheelchair accessible,Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower

Two years ago I have stayed in the Intercontinental but it looks like that property is not available or to expensive. This was a nice property.

Does this look like a good option? Any idea which one this willl be ? Is this an expensive period in July? Maybe take a guess using Priceline and hoping for 2 double beds?

Best guess for the HOTWIRE offer above would be Public Chicago.

Bidding on PRICELINE and hoping for a room with two beds is a risk that you'll have to decide if it's worth taking, but the risk increases in large cities (such as Chicago) where space is limited, expensive, and many hotels consider rooms with two beds to be an 'upgrade' from standard and charge extra... the risk is lower in areas that are more family-friendly (such as Orlando, Anaheim, etc) where hotels have a higher percentage of rooms that have two beds in them.

I believe AaronJB likes this hotel a lot, but i'll let him reply with more information as he is local to this area.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The Public was previously the Ambassador East, which was one of the most historic properties in the city (and the Pump Room restaurant is legendary for being the place to be years ago for many visiting celebs.) I've been there when it was the Ambassador East and I've stayed there as the Public. Visually, they did a pretty remarkable job turning an older property into a sleek boutique. The one problem is that, at the core, this is still an old building and while the facelift was impressive, there are still thin walls and only so much could probably be done with the structure.

The Public is at the very tip top of the zone; it is not centrally located, but it is in the very nice Gold Coast area. It is a few minutes walk to the North end of the North Michigan Ave area and there is a subway station a couple of blocks away. In the Spring/Summer, it's a reasonable walk North to Lincoln Park Zoo and the Old Town area.

All that said, the Public has some real positives - it's a more reasonable (by comparison) boutique by intent, with free wifi and more reasonable (again, by comparison) room service, among other things. There are not a ton of amenities. 

All that said, the question becomes is there a better value? Unfortunately, these dates are expensive and this is the cheapest option at the star level. The next cheapest 4* is a 4* in the River North zone on HOTWIRE w/Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Spa for $165; that would likely be the Godfrey. Really liked the Godfrey (which is a newer property that was built 2-3 years ago) love the location in River North near tons of restaurants. The one real negative: if you stay here, I'd call the hotel to make sure that you get a room on a higher floor. There is a bar on the 4th floor where the roof can open and I would not want to be in a room near that in the Summer.

Please keep us updated on what you decide and let us know if you have additional questions.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

• 1 month later...

Today there was a 3.5 star property listed for 138 USD with 4.5 star tripadvisor and breakfast included. We have chosen this one and it was the La Quinta Inn and Suites downtown.

amenities :

Free internet

Free breakfast

Fitness center

Business center

Self service laundry

Pet friendly

Pool (s)

Indoor pool (s)

Internet access

Accesible bathroom

Accesible parking

Looks like a good deal. Aaron, do you have any advices around the area around this property?

Congratulations on your success!

Glad you're pleased with the results and looking forward to your trip... thank you for sharing your win with the board.

I'll leave it to AaronJB for the city specific questions.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The Water Taxi is actually not too far from here at all (https://www.chicagowatertaxi.com/), and that will take you to Michigan Ave but it will also take you South to Chinatown. If you are going to Michigan Ave, you do have to go a little bit out of the way and it is not speedy, but it is certainly a scenic way to get over to Michigan Ave.

Let me know more about likes (in terms of sights) and what you are looking for (atmosphere, style, cost, etc) for restaurants and I would be happy to offer suggestions.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]