Priceline Hotel: NYC Manhattan 4*-4.5* Sep 02 - Sep 07 - 1st bidding

Obii
By Obii,
in

Hello everyone!

My girlfriend and myself are going to New York for 5 nights from Sep 2nd till 7th.

We would like to stay in a clean 4*(or better) hotel in manhattan (all zones beyond Harlem are okay). Public transport should be next to the hotel (not more than 10 mins).

Are there preferred zones in manhattan? Could you name them and tell me why?

Is it reasonable to find the hotel for $110 -  $130 a night during this period? We would like to have free WiFi if possible.

When would you start bidding (i guess it's too early right now) and which price should I start bidding?

Thanks a lot in advance!

P.s.: Manhattan ist just the start. Later i will need help on bidding for San Francisco, Las Vegas, LA

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Depending upon the zone(s) that you ultimately select, at current rates you're likely looking on the $140-$165 area for a 4 star property for these dates.  Something in the $110-$130 is usually only seen during the slowest of times (Jan/Feb), and although the end of summer is not high season, it usually does command rates above $130.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let's start with your thoughts in regards to the flexibility in your budget, are you willing to raise your budget and/or lower your star rating, and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hey Thereuare!

Thanks for your fast request. 140 $ a night would be okay for Manhattan, but what do you think about the following areas:

- Greenpoint Williamsburg

- Long Island City

- Jersey City Hoboken

I guess public transport from there to Manhattan will be quiet easy (is it?). So it would be fine for me too. Can i save money, choosing that areas?

Awaiting your answer. Thanks a lot for you help!

P.s.: There is a hoboken (north bergen) deal 4* on hotwire for 113 € (!) / night. What do you think about that?

You can save money by staying outside of the city... but it will also be a different experience vs. staying directly in Manhattan.

Part of the appeal of Manhattan is that you can walk outside your hotel room and get just about anything at any time of day as well quickly be in an entirely different part of the city in just 10-15 minutes time.  You lose this convenience, and the general 'buzz' factor, of staying directly in the city.

However, if your budget is more important than convenience (or if the savings are significant), then staying outside of Manhattan can be a do-able option.

With the above noted, what is your maximum budget for Manhattan (note above i suggested $140-$165 and it may take closer to the upper end of that range) and would you prefer to pay a little more for a better experience or try to save some money in exchange for giving up a bit of convenience?

Also, assuming you're arriving by plane, which airport to you flying in to?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

We will arrive at JFK.

I discussed that with my girlfriend and we would give up that bit of convenience for a good price (we have to pay another 21 nights in southwest USA, so budget is a topic in general :-)). Good price means 4* or better for beyond 110$. If this is possible we would prefer the "outer Manhattan" Option. What area out of Manhattan would you recommend?

So Option A would be: Outside of Manhattan, 4* or better, 110$. If possible, what area and what strategy of bidding is best?

Option B: If Option A is not feasible, what strategie for bidding a Manhattan would you propose?

Thanks a lot again!

23 hours ago, thereuare said:

Also, assuming you're arriving by plane, which airport to you flying in to?

Let us know regarding which airport your flying in to (assuming you are flying in) since if you're going to stay outside of Manhattan you idealy want to stay on the side that you're flying into (otherwise getting to/from the airport becomes either expensive or time consuming)

I'm not so confident that you will be successful for a 4* hotel outside of Manhattan for $110 or less...

This 4 star Williamsburg hotel is selling for $361/nite for your dates so the odds of an accepted bid at $110 or less are fairly slim.

There is currently no 4* bidding offered in Long Island City... the highest bidding available there at the moment is 3.5*.

A 4* hotel in Jersey City or the part of the Hoboken-North Bergen zone that you would want to stay in will likely cost you closer to $140-$160 (and at this you're not seeing much savings vs. staying in Manhattan)

We'll suggest a strategy for whatever you'd like to try first... a 4* in Williamsburg, or do you want to go straight to the Manhattan bidding?

I will add that HOTWIRE has what appears to be the 4* Z New York for $138/nite, but at that rate, i would sooner spend an extra $10-$20 and stay in Manhattan.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Which zone(s) are acceptable? (or do you need advice in that regard as well)

Just a comment or two on zones:

1.) Chelsea - could be up to a 10 minute walk from the subway, but still a very desirable zone as it's a 'hot' area right now with lots of clubs, bars, restaurants, boutiques, cafes, etc.

2.) Empire State

3.) Mid East - most hotels are well located, but a few can be up a 15 minute walk to the subway

4.) Mid West

5.) Times Square

6.) Hells Kitchen - most of the 4* hotels in this zone are in the western part of the zone, which makes them not that convenient to the subway (and more of an industrial area... lots of car dealerships and repair shops around here)

7.) Madison Square - the Wyndham New Yorker is a frequent winner in this zone, make sure you're OK with this as an outcome

Please re-confirm your zones given my most recent comments and we'll advise accordingly.

When bidding 4* in NYC you have FOUR re-bid zones.  If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

You can try as follows:

Select 4* ESB, Chelsea, MTW, TS...
Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $123, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...
Select 4* ESB, Chelsea, MTW, MTE...
Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $123, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* TS, MTE, ESB, Chelsea...
Bid $128, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $133, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $138, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...
Select 4* TS, MTE, ESB, MTW...
Bid $128, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $133, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $138, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* ESB, Chelsea, MTW, TS, MTE...
Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $143, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $148, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $150

Any questions feel free to ask (especially confirming your re-bid zones if you're unsure or new to the subject).

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]