Priceline Hotel: 4.5* New York City (Midtown East) Hyatt 48 Lex

striker1064
By striker1064,
in

This is probably kind of an odd question, but I'm a deal-seeker. We have a cancellable rate booked at the Residence Inn Manhattan/Central Park for approximately $153/night before taxes from 2/13-2/19, for a standard king room. I've used Hotwire in the past and I'm comfortable with that. I've never used Priceline, but I've noticed the RI Central Park is included under the 3* list for Priceline for Midtown West. 

Do I have a great rate for this time and quality of hotel, or could I possibly get a comparable rate at a comparably nice hotel using Priceline's bidding? We are happy staying just about anywhere, however we are favoring the MW/Hell's Kitchen area. We have been to NYC twice before, previously staying at the Tryp Times Square South and the Holiday Inn Lower East Side, so we definitely don't want to stay in the same areas. I appreciate the help.

I have been using the board links to search some on Priceline and Hotwire, but I didn't see much on Hotwire in my previous searches. So I thought I'd try Priceline bidding.

You can do better, imo, but so we can point you in the right direction... are you looking to spend less for a comparable hotel OR looking to spend about the same amount for something higher rated?

Let us know your thoughts and we'll advise accordingly.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I would be good with either of those scenarios, but would probably lean toward a nicer hotel for about the same money. I feel like I'm at the point now where I have a pretty decent price-value ratio, and spending a little less might mean a bigger drop in quality. But if I'm wrong about that, feel free to correct me, because I definitely haven't researched all or even half of the deals out there.

Thanks for your help!

This is slow season in NYC so you have an average rate, imo... not bad, but nothing exceptional either.

Here are some example of what i'm seeing (at first glance) should any of these be of interest and we can take it from there:

Hotel Mela Times Square - $136/nite

Hotel 48LEX New York - $153/nite

Dylan Hotel (i think) - $119/nite

St. Giles The Tuscany - $148/nite

... just after an initial look.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Of those on your list I like Hotel 48LEX the best. Looks like a really nice hotel. I believe I found it on Priceline Express - $153/night in Midtown East? The only downside I see is that after taxes, it's about $70 more trip total (after taxes) over our existing reservation at the RI. But it does look nicer.

I noticed on the Priceline maps tool that the low end of the range was $125 for bidding. Is it possible to get that? Or is that highly variable? I'm noticing too of course that other 4.5* hotels have lower ranges so I may end up getting them as well, right?

Also, we chose our current hotel due to the rate, and due to the proximity to Hell's Kitchen and Broadway. We have tickets to two Broadway shows, and we enjoy being near a variety of interesting restaurants. I've noticed your list is mainly Midtown East - would it have the same variety in places to eat?

My list above was my first look at finding hotels that i thought were a better value than what you currently had (so i also ignored some hotels which may have been even cheaper but with my experience of NYC perhaps not as nice nor as good of a value)

You could bid on PRICELINE and get a hotel for less, but you then need to be willing to accept any hotel in the zone at the star rating (or higher) that you choose... no ability to try to target a specific property or have a guess beforehand of what it is that you may receive. (but for example, if you could get a 4* hotel at $100 or less, would you be willing to roll the dice and/or possibly sacrifice quality at that price... for some the deep discount is worth whatever 4* hotel they get, while others would prefer to pay a bit more and have a guess as to what they may get); ultimately it depends what your priorities and needs are for this trip, but i think you could see above that there are likely other/better values out there to be had.

As far as restaurants, there is food all over NYC, so finding a place to eat is not going to be an issue regardless of where you stay, but as NYC has some of the best food/restaurants i would sooner do some homework before your trip to pick the best that meets your budget, tastes, etc. so that you get a 'true' NYC experience and not just choose restaurants that are close to your hotel (the subway can get you just about anywhere relatively quickly and inexpensively).  Unless they live in an extremely rural area and don't have a TGI Friday's, Olive Garden, or Red Lobster in or near their own home town, i never understand why tourists flock to and wait online at these restaurant in Times Square (which are exactly what they will get back home... only more expensive!)

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you received the hotel you were hoping for and that you're pleased with the outcome.

You're also near my often recommended Ess-A-Bagel (Third Ave at 51st St) which has one of the best bagels in the city, makes for a nice, and relatively inexpensive, breakfast among local NYers.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your purchase.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]