Priceline Hotel: 3.5* New York (Central Park South) Ameritania Hotel

Irinag
By Irinag,
in

Hello everyone!

My husband and myself are going to New York for 8 nights from July 8th till 16th.

We would like to stay in 4* hotel in the central area, where we could go out at evening to shows, restaurants and bars and feel safe.

We thought about Chelsea, but we are open to suggestions as this is our first time in NYC and we are not familiar with the city.

Is it reasonable to find the hotel for $150 a night during this period? We would like to have free WiFi if possible.

Which price should I start bidding?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Your budget is in the right ballpark... depending upon which zone(s) you ultimately decide to bid, at current rates you're likely looking in the $140-$170 range for a well located 4 star hotel.

Generally speaking all of the following zones are considered to be centrally located:

ESB

MSG

MTW

Times Square

The following are generally considered to be well located but a few caveats to be aware of which may or may not make them acceptable to you:

CPS - centrally located but contains the Hudson Hotel which while well located has notoriously small rooms (even by NYC standards)

Chelsea - can be up to a 10 minute walk to the subway but still very desirable as this is currently a very 'hot' area with lots of bars, cafes, boutiques, shops, etc.

MTE - most hotels are well located, but a few can be up to a 10-15 minute walk to the subway

Let us know your thoughts regarding which zones are acceptable (or feel free to ask any additional questions as i'm local to and very familiar with the area) and we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you so much for your fast and detailed response! I really appreciate it.

I heard that Times Square is too touristic and not too clean, so less appealing during evening times - is that so?

What about Hell's kitchen? Is it good too or is it better to avoid it?

I think we are OK with 10 minutes walking to subway. We'd like to be able to walk to the attractions as much as possible instead of taking the public transportation.

The suggestions from the local are the best as you know which area is the most convenient for visiting other spots in NYC and for night hangout.

11 hours ago, Irinag said:

I heard that Times Square is too touristic and not too clean

Touristy... yes.

Not clean... never really hear that before (and i'd disagree with this statement)

We usually hear people tell us that they only want to stay in Times Square, and my usual response is that they will spend far less time in Times Square then they think.  However, this doesn't change the fact that it is super convenient given how many subway lines converge in this area, so it acts as a great launching pad to get to other parts of the city.

So in summary, there is no reason to only target Times Square... but there is no reason to avoid it either.  As well, if you are successful in this zone, changes are that you're not going to be in the dead center of it at 45th and Broadway... changes are more likely that you'll be on one of the side streets or on Eighth Ave, which gives you the convenience of being near multiple subway lines and the ability to avoid the throngs of people in the heart of Times Square (when you want to).

What about Hell's kitchen?

The 'good' part of Hell's Kitchen from a tourist perspective is along Ninth Ave, which if you look at PRICELINE's map, is on the edge of the MTW and the HK zone.  The 'problem' with bidding Hell's Kitchen is that most of the higher rated hotels are in the west part of this zone (closer to 11th Ave) and not that centrally located.

We'd like to be able to walk to the attractions as much as possible instead of taking the public transportation.

I strongly recommend you try to wrap your arms around the idea of taking the subway most places you want to go (at least during the daytime... if you're concerned about safety then you can put a 10pm-11pm limit on how you late you take it and resolve to take taxi back to your hotel at nite)... it's how the locals travel and generally the quickest way (not to mention least expensive) way to get from Point A --> Point B.  There will still be plenty of walking to do within each neighborhood you visit, you'll pace yourself better for the 8 day trip, and you'll be able to cover 3x-5x more of the city vs. if you tried to walk most places.

With a 1 week stay you can get yourself a one week unlimited metrocard which gives you unlimited rides on the subway and busses. (you can even use it on the Roosevelt Island Tram, which you can do once during daytime hours and once in the evening to get two different perspectives of the Manhattan Skyline)

Personally i'd be fine with any of these zones:

ESB

MSG

MTW

Times Square

Chelsea

... although in the MSG zone The New Yorker is a frequent bid acceptor, so i would also have a look at that property to make sure you're be OK with that hotel (although you could just as easily receive something else in the zone)

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

To add to the above...

I also just saw this 3* Midtown West hotel (confirm your dates on the landing page) for $139/nite with only a Fitness amenity showing and an 8+ user review rating... my guess for this one would be the Ameritania Hotel which admittedly i don't know that much about, but the reviews are very good and the location would be excellent, imo (close enough to the action yet far enough away that you're not in a traffic jam of people each time you leave your hotel room)

As well, should my guess be wrong (although i feel pretty good with my guess), you still have the 'safety net' of the 8+ user review rating by previous PRICELINE guests, so at the very least it should still be a very nice time.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Not sure what is the issue with NewYorker - is it that it's rated 3 stars on other sites?

So I think your suggestion is the best - ESB, MTW, Times square, Chelsea.

Can you please suggest the bidding strategy?

Thanks a lot again! And of course I'll update on the site if I win or not.

The rate shown at the site above, and THIS ONE (confirm your dates on the landing page), which comes from our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com which we request that you use for your regular purchases, are identical (actually, to be more specific, our MAPS and HOTELS.com site is .02 cheaper)... we hope that the advice that you are receiving has you book thru the requested links on the board if you decide to go that route (and i will add our MAPS and HOTELS.com site has a better interface for getting a real overview of the area)

If you decide you want to try the bidding route, the strategy i have posted below goes up to $170 (as i think it may take close to this amount to be successful) but you are of course free to stop at whatever amount you're comfortable with...

When bidding 4* in NYC you have THREE re-bid zones.  If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* ESB and Times square...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTW and Chelsea...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* ESB and Chelsea...

Bid $143, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $148, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTW and Times square...

Bid $143, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $148, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* ESB, MTW, Times square...

Bid $153, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $158, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $160, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* ESB, MTW, Chelsea...

Bid $153, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $158, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $160, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* ESB, MTW, Times square, Chelsea...

Bid $163, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $168, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $170

Any questions feel free to ask (especially confirming your re-bid zones with the board if you're new to the subject)

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in my update - I followed your bidding strategy, and raised the price till $150 for 4.5 stared hotels. Didn't  win.

I'll try the same for 4* and update the forum with the outcome. I don't want the price with taxes to be higher than $175.

Just wanted to ask if 7.0 rated hotels are still OK. I was hoping to get 8.0+ rated hotels.

I have an option of apartment for $175 a night in Hell's kitchen on 9th ave and W46 str which looks like good location, but I would prefer a hotel for similar price. What do you think? Is there a chance to get 4* for this price?

Thanks again!

Generally speaking 7.0+ user reviews are fine as PRICELINE uses a 'higher bar' than HOTWIRE's percent recommendation figures.

If bidding at the 4* level i would change the strategy a bit as there is now this 4 star Midtown West hotel (confirm your dates on the landing page) for $133/nite with only a Fitness Center amenity listed.  I'm not sure which one this is but as you're including the MTW zone in your bidding you wouldn't want to bid higher than $133/nite, so i would amend to:

Select 4* ESB and Chelsea...
Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $108, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $110, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...
Select 4* TS and MTW...
Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $108, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $110, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* ESB, TS, MTW...
Bid $113, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $118, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $120, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...
Select 4* ESB, TS, Chelsea...
Bid $113, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $118, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $120, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* ESB, TS, MTW, Chelsea...
Bid $123, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $128, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $130

If the above is rejected, then take the 4 star Midtown West hotel (again confirm  your dates on the landing page) for $133/ntie.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

6 hours ago, thereuare said:

If bidding at the 4* level i would change the strategy a bit as there is now this 4 star Midtown West hotel (confirm your dates on the landing page) for $133/nite

I had linked to the $133/nite deal in my previous post so you could simply click for easy access... but in doing so now you'll get a message that the offer is no longer available.

My guess for the 3.5* Midtown West hotel (confirm your dates on the landing page) for $127/nite i'm guessing is the Ameritania, so to go with this one or not ultimately depends how well you think this property will work for your plans this trip.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or how we can be of further help.

I clicked on the link you sent right away, of course. But it didn't give me the deal you were talking about. It probably vanished very quickly.

From your knowledge, are 3.5* star hotels good in NYC? Its location looks good, and our plans are to see the city in the most convenient way and go for a drink/nice meal/theater in the evening..

Do you think it's possible to win 4* hotel for $150-155? If so, should I proceed with the same strategy as before, just raise the bid?

There are some 3.5* hotels that are exceptional (and that i would prefer to some 4* hotels)... likewise there are some 3.5* that i would prefer to stay at almost any 4* hotel... it all comes down to individual tastes and the actual hotel that is received.  If there are hotels in the zone you're hoping to avoid, PRICELINE EXPRESS (or HOTWIRE) become more of an option as you can then take a guess as to the hotel you may receive and/or choose one that has good user reviews (based upon the information shown by either service)

At current rates a 4* hotel in the zones above will likely run you in the $150-$175 range... a 4* hotel could likely be had at $150 or less if you consider the MTE (you could try to target the Doubletree By Hilton Metropolitan New York) or the Upper West Side (targeting The Empire Hotel) zones.

Do either of the above work for your needs?

Isn't MTE and upper west side a bit away from the center? 

My goal is to find a good hotel for less than $150 in ts, mtw, esb or chealse. 

Could you please point me to exceptional 3.5* hotels? I'd like to try to check on express deal or hotwire. 

Do you think i should book cancelable hotel now and bid closer to the vacation dates? 

Thanks a lot again for all  your help! I highly appreciate it. 

19 hours ago, Irinag said:

Isn't MTE and upper west side a bit away from the center? 

Yes and no.... some parts of the zone are centrally located while other parts of the zone may not be. 

For example, in the MTE if you're on Third Ave or west you're generally well located and close to a subway.  The issue is if you end up east of Third Ave then it can get to be a longer walk to the subway, but the Doubletree that i referenced above is on Lexington Ave and close to three different subway lines, so a perfectly accepted, and well located, choice.

Similar for the UWS zone... the issue here is that the zone goes pretty far north, but the Empire Hotel is located in the very south portion of the zone and near the Lincoln Center subway station (search at MAPS and HOTELS.com and then filter for each of these hotels and you'll be able to see the location of each)

The only 3.5* hotel i'm seeing under $150/nite is the previously referenced 3.5* Midtown West hotel (always confirm your dates on the landing page) for $127 where my guess is the Ameritania.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we will try to assist further.

Yes, you can only target them if using PRICELINE EXPRESS... but linking to hotels is more time consuming than just typing the name, so if you are interested in one of the previously mentioned hotels and are ready to purchase let us know and we will re-do the search and create the link.

You can't link to PRICELINE EXPRESS (or HOTWIRE for that matter) search results like you tried to do above.. you'll need to list the complete dates of the hotel you're inquiring about.

Hi again!

I wasn't successful at bidding on PRICELINE (reached $174 for 4.5* hotel and didn't win) - tried to target MTE Lex48 hotel that appears in the PRICELINE EXPRESS deals (I think).

As for the hotels you mentioned in MTE and UWS, the reviews are not so great so we decided not to buy that deal.

I see now a 4* hotel for $152 in HOTWIRE in Rockefeller center area. Which hotel can it be?

Thanks!

For help with the Rock Center property on HOTWIRE please search using the EASY VIEW TAB of our BiddingHelper.com tool and provide the full list of amenities shown after click the gree "FULL AMENITIES" button.

Thanks.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]