Priceline Hotel: New York, June 27 - July 4th

Rose Nguyen
By Rose Nguyen,
in

Good morning everyone,

We're from Seattle, WA and are planning a trip to New York for the week of June 27 - July 4th, we are a big group of 14 peoples with 4 elders and 5 kids ( ranges from 14-5) .

Could you please kindly advise which area which we stay that is convenient to take the subway to places like Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Bronze Zoo, World Trade Center   and please advise your strategy for bidding a 3* hotel ? we're looking at spending $100-$120 / night if that's possible , with a double beds.

Thank You & I appreciate all your help,

Rose

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

How many rooms do you plan to need? The issue with NYC is that rooms are often small or very small and as a result, two beds is paid upgrade in most cases. Bidding on PRICELINE for NYC runs a high risk of 1 bed. Options are either looking on HOTWIRE and searching for more than 2 per room (which doesn't guarantee 2 beds, but should guarantee 1 + rollaway, 2 beds or 1 + sofabed.) or searching on PRICELINE EXPRESS for a listing with bed choice and then seeing if one of the choices is two beds.

Price is going to depend on zone, star rating and how many per room, but $100 is unfortunately going to be unlikely. $120 is going to be slightly more possible depending on the specifics, but more likely a moderately higher price will be needed.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thanks so much for your info. Yes, I'm aware of the name your own price and probably not get too lucky with the beds option. Our budhet can be up to $150 - $180 for 3 rooms, 7 nights.           What's about staying outside of. New York and take the sub way in? Would it be less convenient ?

4 hours ago, Rose Nguyen said:

a big group of 14 peoples

1 hour ago, Rose Nguyen said:

3 rooms

Exactly how do you intend to split 14 people between 3 rooms?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Since you need quad occupancy per room, and this is NYC (where hotels have a high percentage of rooms with only one bed and rooms with two beds are often considered to be a paid upgrade) i think it's too risky to bid on this trip, which leaves you searching HOTWIRE with the true number of rooms/adults/children that you need.

Unfortunately everything within Manhattan is over your budget (or has such a low recommendation by previous guests that i would avoid it)... the least expensive option within Manhattan that is acceptable imo would be the 3* hotel in the CPS zone for $153/nite with:

Boutique
Smoke Free
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Kitchenette
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Roll-in Shower

... best guess here would be the Salisbury Hotel

You could consider staying outside of the city and commuting in, and while this is certainly do-able, it will take away from your experience a bit as part of the allure and what makes NYC 'special' is walking out your door and having everything accessible to you 24/7.

In NJ i'm seeing what looks to be the Hyatt Place in Secaucus for $132/nite, which gets excellent reviews and there is a bus to Manhattan at the door of the hotel, but you'll be commuting to NYC by bus (15-20 minutes without traffic... could be up to 45+ or more during rush hour)

You could also stay in Long Island City where i see what appears to be the Hotel Vetiver for $121/nite which is only 1 block to the subway.  This area is going thru a re-gentrification  process which is not yet completed, so the area is a bit mixed with new high rises being built, industrial, and residential.

Which airport do you fly in/out of?

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thereuare, thank you so much for your recommendation..our vacation start on Friday 6/24, we be flying to Hartford, CT to visits friend for 2 days, then drive to Boston and stay for 2 days, then to New York for a week. 

We will be renting a car for CT & Boston and dropping off the car at JFK.

I forgot to mention we will fly out of JFK. Back to Seattle.

I assume you're returning the rental car upon your arrival in Manhattan (vs. the day of your departure from JFK)?

If so, the Long Island City option would be better than the Secaucus NJ option... but it comes down to if you're OK with the 'mixed use' area of Long Island City or if you're able to stretch your budget a bit in order to stay directly in Manhattan.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

Yes, we are planning to return the car on the day we arrive at Manhattan probably at 10 pm to JFK , and will take the taxi back to whoever hotel we are in. I have to verify that just me, my husband and my 2 kids are doing CT & Boston; my extended family will be flying to New York on Monday the 27th around 10pm.

How much of a budget should we stretch staying in Manhattan?

How's could you please kindlt advise how's the 2* hotel in New York like ? I'm looking at PRICELINE EXPRESS and found several hotel that offers double beds, is Times Square, Upper east , Madison square center, are ok to stay at? 

11 hours ago, Rose Nguyen said:

I'm looking at PRICELINE EXPRESS and found several hotel that offers double beds, is Times Square, Upper east , Madison square center, are ok to stay at?

Times Square and MSG are both centrally located... UES is a little out of the way, but depending how far north in the zone the actual hotel is could be a better option than Long Island City.

Which are some of the PRICELINE EXPRESS offer(s) that are within your budget that you're considering.  Ideally you would want one that has a user review rating of 7.0+ to avoid any of the less desirable ones.

12 hours ago, AaronJB said:

At the 2* level in NYC, quality really varies quite a bit -- you may luck out and find a nice one, but there are quite a few that are mediocre or worse.

Thank you, I'll stick with 3* hotel then :-)

To have us research the PRICELINE EXPRESS offers please also include the amenities that are associated with each.

Also, all of the above are over your previously stated $120 budget... are you willing to pay more than this at this time?

Thereuare, I think at this time, I would have to stretch our budget at $150-$180/night

Central Park South Area , it's $180 for Standard 2 double beds , 7+ score

business center & restaurant

Long Island Hotel, 2 queen bed = $ 148 , 7+ score

• Business Center
  • Restaurant
  • Free Internet
  • Fitness Center

Brooklyn area hotel, 2 queen bed = $ 156 , 7+ score

• Pets Allowed
  • Business Center
  • Restaurant
  • Free Internet
  • Fitness Center

Best guess/comments for each:

Central Park South Area , it's $180 for Standard 2 double beds , 7+ score

Wellington Hotel

Long Island Hotel, 2 queen bed = $ 148 , 7+ score

most likely the Holiday Inn L.I. City-Manhattan View... lesser, but still possible, change of the Ravel Hotel

Brooklyn area hotel, 2 queen bed = $ 156 , 7+ score

Hotel Indigo Brooklyn

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

You're welcome.

Let us know what you decide or if we can answer any other questions for you.

I would definitely choose staying in Manhattan (CPS) vs. Brooklyn... assuming that most of your activities will take place around midtown, Brooklyn (assuming we're right on the Indigo) would be about a 20-25 minute subway ride to midtown... where as CPS would be 5-10 minutes from most points in midtown. 

CPS would be a much more convenient location and enable you to easily return to your hotel throughout the day to rest, drop off bags you may have accumulated while shopping in the city, freshen up before dinner, etc.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases. (or here is our direct link to PRICELINE EXPRESS)

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]