Priceline Hotel: Hotel fee NYC - Central Park South

merluza
By merluza,
in

Hi,

I am trying to work out a bidding strategy for our stay next year in NYC. I was hoping to win a 4 star property near Times Square / Central Park. I have stayed in the Hudson Hotel in 2010 (win via Priceline and this site), and although the rooms are notoriously small, I really liked the hotel itself and its location. So I would not mind staying there again and take on this region in my bidding strategy. However, this region charges a 136$ hotel fee to the bid when clicking further. A 3.5/4.5 star bid does not add the hotel fee. This makes it really expensive to add this zone to the bidding, and in that case I would prefer a lower star rating or other zones.

I have read that the hotel fee is some sort of an answer to resort fees and other costs. Is this hotel fee charged automatically when the bid is accepted? Or do they just make an estimate and is the "total room charge" charged? Also, do you know upfront which and if your hotel will charge the fee?

I was hoping to be around 190$ max (all costs included) for a 4 star, is this realistic?

Thanks!

I noticed this 'Hotel Fee' as well on 4 star bids including the Times Square zone. It seems to be a Priceline fee and is not included when choosing a 4 star option from the Express Deal. The fee does not disappear even when bidding a high amount that is over going direct rates and remains constant. The 'Hotel Fee' is $27.50 per night for the date I am looking  at booking.

Even in a re-bid situation for a lower priced zone like 'Downtown, Financial District' the 'Hotel Fee' is included and thus the zone can not be used for a re-bid strategy.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

The 'hotel fee' shown by PRICELINE is a 'worst case scenario'... if the hotel you win charges a resort fee, it won't be more then the amount indicated (should you win a hotel that doesn't charge a resort fee, or charges less, you will be charged the lesser amount (or nothing at all)). If a resort fee is due it's paid directly to the hotel.

As well, to further clarify, at this point in the bidding process PRICELINE has not even checked inventory for your dates, so the presence of this fee should not indicate that you'll likely win a hotel with the resort fee indicated, but in an effort to be more transparent they are showing you how much the total price could ultimately be on an all-in basis.

If the resort fee puts you over your budget you could:

1) bid less

2) use PRICELINE EXPRESS where it's usually shown if the specific hotel you're about to purchase has a resort fee

3) use HOTWIRE where it's usually shown if the specific hotel you're about to purchase has a resort fee

With the above noted, this is an expensive time of year in NYC and at current rates $190 all-in is not likely realistic, but not too far off either... you're more likely looking at $175-$190 before taxes/fees, depending upon which zone(s) you choose.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the clarifications.

I would not want to go higher than 190, which is already a stretch to the budget. So, would like to try a 3.5 star then.

I have looked at the properties and zones, and these are the zones I would consider: Central Park South, Empire State, Madison Square, Midtown East, Midtown West, Times Square. Unless there is a hotel in these zones with a longer distance to the subway?

There are hotels in Midtown East in particular that are farther from the subway, including the OneUN. In general, there is no way to get a hotel right near a subway. You have to be willing to stay anywhere within the shaded area of the zones you pick. 

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

The One UN in the MTE zone is about a 15 minute walk to the subway... there are a few in the zone that are about a 10 minute walk.

Also, note that the CPS zone contains the Hudson Hotel, which while well located, has notoriously small rooms (even by NYC standards)... would this be acceptable?

I'll add that i'm seeing what looks to be the Tryp Times Square for $180/nite on HOTWIRE, if this is if any interest.

Let us know if you'd like to adjust or stick with the zones above and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Aren't the Hudson and Milleniium UN upgraded to 4* instead of 3.5*? I was planning to bid on 3.5* properties, with a max of 190$ all costs included.

The Hudson would not be a problem (I stayed there in 2010, and I liked the location and the hotel itself), but the hotel fee in this area for a 4* puts me of. And 190$ is already a stretch to the budget.

To avoid any confusion (and to make it easier for us when providing a bidding strategy) please list your budget in terms of bid price (before fees/taxes)

When bidding on PRICELINE the star rating you choose is the minimum that you are willing to accept, so although you may be bidding at the 3.5* level, your bid could be upgraded and accepted by a higher rated hotel.

OK, I made the calculation and came to about 160$.

CPS is not a problem for the Hudson, Midtown East would not be an option then. So, these are the options: Central Park South, Empire State, Madison Square, Midtown West, Times Square. If that does not work out, I would take on Chelsea too.

Thanks!

When bidding 3.5* in NYC you have ONE re-bid zone. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3.5* CPS and MTW...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* ESB and MSG...

Select 3.5* TS and MSG...

Select 3.5* CPS, ESB, MSG...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* CPS, ESB, MTW...

Select 3.5* CPS, ESB, TS...

Select 3.5* CPS, MSG, MTW...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* CPS, MTW, TS...

Select 3.5* ESB, MSG, MTW...

Select 3.5* CPS, ESB, MSG, MTW...

Bid $148, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* CPS, ESB, MSG, TS...

Bid $148, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* MTW, TS, CPS, ESB...

Bid $153, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* MTW, TS, CPS, MSG...

Bid $153, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* CPS, ESB, MSG, MTW, TS...

Bid $158, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I have been trying to bid and checked the express deals almost daily until 2 days before departure, but no luck (it was indeed a busy period). Ended up with our back-up booking at the Paper Factory Hotel through regular booking, which turned out to be an unbeatable deal for the time of year (152$ per night). This topic can be closed.

Thanks for all advice though. 

1 hour ago, merluza said:

Ended up with our back-up booking at the Paper Factory Hotel through regular booking

On 10/26/2015 at 2:05 PM, thereuare said:

... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thank you for closing this thread with your decision.

If you didn't, it would be appreciated if you use our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate bookings when PRICELINE / HOTWIRE don't work out for your needs.

Hope you enjoyed your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]