Priceline Hotel: 3.5* New York City (Midtown East) Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Midtown East

susan73
By susan73,
in

Hope I can get some idea here.  My adult daughter and myself (females) will be in NYC oct 15-19 , 4 nights,  the 5th night (20) we are at EWR hotel. Will really prefer to stay in the manhattan area but preferable not above the upper west/east side, but any way south of that.  I would like to bid on priceline or hotwire. We are coming from canada, so my budget , I was hoping, would be total of $800 cdn for 4 nights. I am flexible with the accomodation, as area is more important to me.  Can anyone give me a idea on what or area to bid where my chances will be better for this price range.  I understand it is popular time in NYC, but thats all the time we have.  thanks so much ! 

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Please post your budget on a per nite basis and in US Dollars as this makes all rates on the board consistent and not subject to interpretation based upon future currency changes.

What is your desired star rating for this trip? At current rates my guess is that you're likely looking at about $200/nite (US) before taxes/fees, but is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option? (as i think can likely save a few dollars if you're willing to change hotels after the first nite)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and the information above and we'll take it from there.

PS- if you're also seeking help for your nite at EWR please start a NEW TOPIC for that leg of your trip.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi,  I guess it work to about $180/USD.  Desired star rating is not as important as location for us, but 2 star and up would be fine.  I will check into the splitting thing. This all said, I did just book a FULLY cancellable room for 4 nights at Double Tree in the financial district for  $727. USD plus tax., via the booking .com special of the moment, (I will call it)   I am keeping my options open though, as I can cancel anytime, but not sure , is this district to far south in manhattan, I like to be around people/crowds. Dont want a lonely night time area.   Thanks, Susan 

In NYC you really don't want a 2* hotel if you can avoid it and should stick with the higher rated hotels if at all possible. While you may find a lower rated hotel that is a diamond in the rought and works for your needs, you could also land something that you regret and loath returning to at the end of the day.

If you want to be around crowds and people then you don't want to stay Downtown on the weekends. During the week it's busy until 7pm-8pm-ish but then gets quiet... on the weekends it's quiet during the day except for the area around Ground Zero, then at nite most of the area is quiet (although nothing states that you need to have your nightlife outside of your hotel room).

You can use our sister site RefundableRates.com to find a suitable back-up (try searching '3 miles from Times Square' and then use the price slider to adjust for your maximum budget (and remove the star ratings that are too low if you choose to follow our advice above)).

Let us know your thoughts on SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID and we'll take it from there, since if you are willing to change hotels after the first nite, i think that would be your best option, using the following as an example:

4 star MTW hotel for $158/nite (or $149/nite for the first TWO nites)

... you then have other options like this 4 star MTE hotel for $187/nite for the last 3 nites of your trip as well as a bunch of other options in the $175-$200 range depending up zones and star rating.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ok, so downtown is the financial district, correct ?  There is also Hotel Pennsylvania , the Mave or Days Inn broadway all between 1000-1100/cdn.  The doubletree is $947 cdn.  Are these better options, or should I do a bid , or a split bid, like you suggest ? When you say take it from here, is it a service you offer ?  Thanks ! Susan 

Please post your budget on a per nite basis and in US Dollars...

2x

all between 1000-1100/cdn. The doubletree is $947 cdn. Are these better options...

Probably not, but would be easier to know/compare if you listed the room rate in US Dollars and on a per nite basis. ;)

When you say take it from here, is it a service you offer ?

I meant that we would research further and let you know your best option(s). If you're willing to SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID then i think that is going to be your best deal in terms of cost, quality and value... but as it requires a bit of time and research to look at all of the options, there is no point in doing so if you're not willing to split the bid and change hotels after the first nite.

What time does your flight leave EWR on the last nite?

Hi,  Yes I am willing to split my bid.  Oct 15-19th is for right in NYC, then later on the 19th we are going to head over to EWR to stay, for a early moring flight 6:45 AM.  I habe decised I do not want to go south to the downtown-financial area, as we like busy/people/walks at night with lots people around, etc.  thanks so much for your help, it is SOO appreciated. 

We're happy to help... but please remember to use the board PRICELINE and/or HOTWIRE links to begin your purchases.

I've done a bit of research and have one more question...

If SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID i think you're likely looking at an average rate of about $170/nite... or for about $193/nite you can likely have one hotel and not have to change mid-trip; would you prefer the $25/nite savings OR the convenience of not needing to change hotel rooms?

Let us know the above and i'll outline what i'm seeing as your best option(s).

Hi,  thanks so much . I think if its NOT including taxes, I will have to do the least cost option. If the $190 is all inclusive, then one stay is good .  Sorry, but I am trying to stick with my budget which would be about $200/night/USA with all taxes included.  thanks again, susan !! 

thank you.  Do you have any idea if any of these hotels with bids is the Lexington Autograph New york (marriott)  thanks.  really like this one. 

Is there anyway one can tell me to bid, either priceline or hotwire, and stay away from getting Hotel Pennsylvnia ??  thanks. 

You can see all of the hotels reported to the board here: Priceline Hotel List New York. If you bid for a particular star rating and zone, you have to be willing to stay at any of the hotels at that star rating in that zone. With Hot.wire and PRICELINE EXPRESS, you can try to ID a particular listing based on information given, but again, it becomes having to choose from what is available and at very most a few hotels are offered per star rating per zone per set of dates.

Here is what i'm currently seeing for your dates/combinations (confirm all dates on the landing pages):

10/15-10/19

3* Chelsea for $186/nite with Free Internet, Business Center, Fitness Center... my guess here would be the Holiday Inn Express NYC Madison Square Garden (a secondary guess of the Holiday Inn NYC - Manhattan 6th Ave but i think the former is more likely)

--> a little more then you'd like to pay but 'Chelsea' is hot area right now with lots of bars, restaurants, cafes, boutiques in the area

And part of my original plan is back...

10/15-10/17

4* Midtown West hotel for $159/nite with Restaurant, Business Center, Fitness Center... my best guess here would be the Sheraton New York

You could then pair the above with:

10/17-10/19

4* Empire State Building for $192/nite with only a Restaurant amenity listed... my guess for this one would be the Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel (although the Affinia Shelburne would be a secondary possibility) (this along with the above gives you a blended room rate of about $175/nite)

OR

There is a 4* Midtown East Boutique hotel on HOTWIRE for $178/nite with:

Boutique

Fitness

Restaurant

Business

Hi-Speed Internet

Blind Accessible

Deaf Accessible

Travel Accessible

Room Accessible

Bathroom Accessible

Roll-in Shower

... this is likely The Lexington New York City which you could also pair with the 10/15-10/17 hotel above

Do any of the above combinations work for your needs (i think you would do very well by taking the 4* MTW property for the first two nites and then The Lexington which you were seeking for the last two nites... or i will also add that the HOTWIRE property (believed to be The Lexington is also available for the last 3 nites at $177/nite and the PRICELINE EXPRESS MTW offer avaialble for the first nite at $165/nite... a few dollars more this way but i'm not sure how much you want to stay at The Lexington you're seeking for a longer part of the trip)

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Let us know what you ultimately decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Good luck!

PS- if you do decide to split the purchase, please use the 'ADD REPLY and REPORT WIN' button on the lower right corner of this thread to report the first win, then start a NEW TOPIC for your second purchase (this will allow the topic title of each to reflect your purchase so that others will be aware of each when searching the topic titles on the board, as well as allow each to have it's own link in our Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins and Priceline Maps. Thanks!

Looking at all these options right now.  I could also do wall street 4 star all nights for $149/night ? that is the area I had a reservation in at doubletree, but then we have to subway more, price is tempting.  The Lexington was just suggested by a tripadvisor blog, but the area sounds good. The only down thing is its no internet in room, but oh well.   I am checking out the stuff you sent me now. thanks.

Congrats on your success. :)

Very good deal for this Hilton Garden Inn property and hope you are looking forward to your stay.

Thanks for letting us know about this new PRICELINE property so that we can update the site's Priceline Hotel List.

Thank you for sharing your win and for using the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

I will add that you're also near my often recommended Ess-A-Bagel (Third Ave at 51st St) which has one of the best bagels in the city, makes for a nice, and relatively inexpensive, breakfast among local NYers.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Have a great time in NYC... let me know if you have any questions about the city that will help improve your trip.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]