Priceline Hotel: San Francisco - Nov 5-8 - Wharf?

Lord Carnage
By Lord Carnage,
in

I've used hotels online but never Hotwire or Priceline.

My family is doing a California trip, starting in San Francisco from Nov 5-8 and then Anaheim from Nov 8-13.  I've got the Anaheim leg of the trip covered, but I'm looking for a place to stay at the start of the trip.

My wife and I are bringing our 2 kids (11/9) on the trip, so PRICELINE's potential hotels (double occupancy) could be risky, but if it saves enough, then I'll give it a go.  Especially seeing as the least expensive option in our ideal area (Wharf) is over $220 when I use HOTWIRE - over double what I'm paying for a suite in a nice hotel in Anaheim!

Anyway, looking for thoughts and recommendations.  I'm not too familiar with this site yet either, so I'm not sure how I can guestimate what a reasonable priceline bid would be.  Also, should I expect prices to go up or down the closer I get to arrival date?  Is there anything special going on in SFO at the start of Nov that may be pushing prices up?

Basically, any advice would be helpful as I decide whether I can take the plunge with HOTWIRE/PRICELINE, or if instead I should just go with the deal sites I'm more familiar with (which deals just aren't that exciting in this case).

Thanks a TON!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

...the least expensive option in our ideal area (Wharf) is over $220... over double what I'm paying for a suite in a nice hotel in Anaheim!

Comparing hotel rates in San Francisco to rates in Anaheim is comparing apples-and-oranges... for multiple reasons i would expect rates in San Francisco to be substantially more then those in Anaheim.

... I'm not sure how I can guestimate what a reasonable priceline bid would be.

Use our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com to search... what is the best rate you're able to find at an acceptable hotel? How much of a discount would you need to make an 'opaque' purchase worthwhile?

Also, should I expect prices to go up or down the closer I get to arrival date?

There is no way to know if rates will come down, or move even higher, in the days/weeks ahead... it all depends on how actual new bookings/cancellations come in relative to expected new bookings/cancellations. If a hotel gets more reservations (or fewer cancellations) then expected in the coming days/weeks then you could see rates rise further from here (and vice-versa).

Let us know the best deal you're currently able to find at an acceptable hotel and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I expected the rates would be different as well, but the gap I am seeing is just more than I expected.  Once I figure it all together, the Anaheim rate was 501 (taxes in) for 5 nights, so San Fran averaging around $300+/night plus tax is a sticker shock.  The $223 Wharf area hotel (297 CDN) on Hotwire is the best deal I've found so far...

Anyway, I'll do a little more digging...  If I was curious what the hotel was that I'm getting the Hotwire rate, do I need to repost in the other thread for Hot.wire?

For help with the HOTWIRE offer you can post here (all posts for the same stay go in the same thread... once you win a hotel use the 'ADD REPLY and REPORT WIN' button on the lower right corner of the page and the thread will automatically be moved (if necessary) to the correct section of the board)

For the HOTWIRE hotel please include the star rating, zone, room rate per nite (US Dollars), and the amenities that HOTWIRE associates with the offer.

FTo ensure you're seeing the complete amenity list (including any accessible amenities):

1) use the EASY VIEW tab of our BiddingHelper.com and click the green 'See All Amenities' button

OR

2) search HOTWIRE (or use the HOTWIRE tab at BiddingHelper.com) and...

• click the offer
  • on the next page click the BOOK NOW link
  • in the TRIP SUMMARY box click the 'See more' link at the end of the amenities
Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]