Priceline Hotel: NYC 12/19-12/23 Which Zone Gets A Better Deal?

mjk316
By mjk316,
in

The wife and I are planning a trip to NYC the weekend before Xmas. Will there be deals worth pursuing on Priceline and Hotwire during this time frame or should I just try and lock up a room thru a standard booking site now?

We have never been to NYC and I am looking at the Times Square/MSG areas being we will want to do the touristy things but I'm open to all suggestions on zones, areas etc.

I would like to keep it under $250 for a 3* or so if at all possible, we are just using it for sleep and shower so I would guess location is more important than amenities.

Thanks for any advice!!!!!

The worst part of December (and really one of the worst periods of the year) in NYC is 12/1-15.  The second half of the month is not cheap, but is often substantially cheaper than the first half.

If you're looking at keeping it under $250 a night, that won't be an issue, as there's 4*'s on Hot.wire anywhere from around $110-175+ and even a few 5*'s towards the top end of your budget ($250-260+)

Towards the lower end, I'm seeing a 4* in Times Square South w/Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible for $115 (although there is a $25 or so resort fee, so you're looking at $140 + taxes). That would likely be the Row.

A few other examples:

4* MTE Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry $145 (Likely Club Quarters Grand Central),

4* MTC Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry $155 (Not yet ID'd/reported, may be a new amenity set for the Sheraton.)

4* ESB Restaurant, Fitness, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Pet Friendly $158 (Likely St Giles the Court).

You can see all the Hot.wire hotels that have been reported to the board here: Hotwire Hotel List New York.

Or would you rather bid? If you bid you have to be willing to accept any potential hotel in the zone chosen at the star rating picked.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thanks for the info!!!!!!

I will make sure I use the links when I start my purchase.

I'm not afraid to bid but I just wonder if I bid say on a 4* in Times Square is there really that much difference in hotels?

Is everything close in proximity to the subway lines?

Thanks again for the advice?

There's certainly difference in hotels (I've stayed in 4*'s that are more accurately 3.5* and 4*'s that are more accurately 4.5*, but that's really going to be the case in any city in the US) but keep in mind personal taste is going to come into play a lot of times. Understandably a hotel I may really like may not be someone's cup-of-tea and vice versa. 

Not everything is going to be right by a subway, you have to be willing to stay anywhere within the zone bounds. I do think that NYC is one of the most walkable cities, though and if you're not right by a subway, there's always a lot to see on the way to one.

I'd also consider MTE, which is usually cheaper than TS.

Please keep us updated on what you decide and let us know if you have questions before bidding or booking.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

In some areas there is little difference among 4star hotels (and may even be little difference between 4* and 3.5* hotels)... but in NYC there definitely are better/worse hotels within each star rating.

Given this is a relatively slow time of year in NYC (you're in that narrow window of the week before Chrimstmas and New Year's Eve), and your original budget was $250/nite, i think you will have lots of options within your budget and might want to 'choose' one thru PRICELINE EXPRESS or HOTWIRE that has good user reviews... or if you want to bid perhaps try for a 4.5* hotel (which in NYC often cost much more than 4* hotels, but maybe you get lucky within your maximum budget if you prefer that route)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]