Priceline Hotel: First Time Bidder

lando808
By lando808,
in

Aloha, I will be traveling to SF from 11/2-11/5 for the first time with a couple of friends. This will be our first time in the area and I'm doing research on booking our accommodation. I am one to usually book direct with the hotel or with a site that I know, but a friend and family member told me to try hotwire or priceline. I had a scare trying hotwire, because the hotel i got was the Best Western in the Fisherman Warf area and my friends didn't want to stay at the best western. SOOOO I'm thinking of going with Priceline since my sister said she got the Hyatt Regency for $175...When I tried bidding for $180 I was denied. So I have a few questions 1)What is a good starting bid for the Union Square East or Financial District? 2) What time of day is it good to bid on rooms on Priceline? 3) Will it be cheaper to the date of my travels or should I book now?

Mahalo in advance for the help. 

Welcome to BetterBidding!

To get started...

I had a scare trying hotwire, because the hotel i got was the Best Western in the Fisherman Warf area and my friends didn't want to stay at the best western.

Were you able to cancel this HOTWIRE purchase?

I'm thinking of going with Priceline since my sister said she got the Hyatt Regency...

What if you don't get the Hyatt and it is some other property that your friends don't want to stay in?

...with a couple of friends.

How many guests will you be in total and how many rooms were you planning on purchasing? Note that PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy, after that it's at the discretion of the hotel, and you could receive a room with only one bed. While you can call the hotel you win and request a room with two beds, the hotel may not be able, or willing, to honor your request. If this is not a risk you're willing to accept, you could use PRICELINE EXPRESS if you find a hotel that shows the 'Bed Choice' option and one of the room configurations shown works for your group... or try HOTWIRE again (and with the help of the board hopefully do better then the previous purchase you made blindly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know the information above and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

there will be 3 of us going together. I was able to get fully refunded from Hotwire and if we don't get the Hyatt I am fine with that as I saw some options in the financial district to be nice rooms. I was looking at the option of name your price on Priceline, wondering how that system works. 

If you bid on Price.line, that only guarantees 1 bed/double occupancy. Additionally, if you bid you have to be willing to accept any hotel at the star rating picked in the zone picked (and you could potentially be upgraded to the next star rating if there is one.) You can see the list of hotels reported to the board here: Priceline Hotel List California. As noted at the top of the list, that list only includes the hotels reported to the board - new hotels or changes in star rating can happen at any time.

If you want a better chance at getting something you like, I'd rather suggest Hot.wire (and we would be happy to try to ID a listing or two) or PRICELINE EXPRESS - both are slightly/moderately more expensive than bidding, but if you are particular about what you want/don't want, I'd rather suggest those services, instead.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]