Priceline Hotel: Help with Chicago (Magnificent Mile-River North) Hotel

melrew
By melrew,
in

We are planning a trip to Chicago on 9/29/15 - 10/04/15 and would like to stay for around $200 per night with taxes/fess in the Magnificent Mile area. We could go a bit over that. I found a PRICELINE EXPRESS deal on Priceline for $184 with guaranteed amenities Business, Fitness, Restaurant, and Internet. It also says choice of bed, but when I choose the hotel it only gives me one option and states that 1 bed is requested and the room will be assigned at check in. Any idea what it could be? Also, any suggestions of other hotels are welcomed! Thanks!

The 'Bed Choice' option is shown by PRICELINE EXPRESS anytime a room description is provided (even if only one room description is given, as per above)

Best guess for the PRICELINE EXPRESS offer above would be the Hotel Felix Chicago.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The Felix is in a great location, within easy walking distance to much of River North's restaurant and nightlife options. The Felix was a budget hotel that was closed for quite a while before being renovated as turned into a boutique. Rooms are small though, and while reviews look to have improved lately, they are still a bit mixed overall.

The issue with these dates is that there is a large convention on the front end (ends 9/30, so 9/29 is busy) and a moderate one that starts 10/4, so 10/3 is particularly busy. Plus, Fall in the city is generally a bit more expensive. There are some options I think are a bit more appealing in terms of hotel, but unfortunately, they are 210-225+. Splitting the stay unfortunately doesn't seem to offer too much benefit in this case.

I'm very familiar with the area - please let me know if you have any hotel or city questions.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thanks for all the info! I didn't know about the conventions in town... We are now looking at staying 4 nights Wed-Sun so at least we will miss the 1st one. Looks like the same Priceline deal is available and also a 3.5 star is showing up which I think is the AC Hotel. Any thoughts on that one? I dismissed the Hotel Felix based solely on the TA rating. Usually TA is spot on for us, but the fact that it has been recently renovated probably has something to do with the low rating. The pictures look nice so I may be willing to give it a try especially if the location is great.

You said there were some better options in the $210-$225 range. We'd be willing to go that high if the hotel is close to perfect so I'm open to any recommendations you have.

If you are looking at 9/30-10/4 instead, I see a 4* in the Mag Mile N-WT area for $198 w/Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Golf, Tennis, Spa, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly.

-- This is a likely match for the MileNorth. There is a $7 resort fee listed on the detail page; while unfortunate that they charge a fee, it's unique to that property and makes the ID more certain. This is a well-reviewed former Affinia property right off of the core of Michigan Ave.

Also appealing at the $200 price point for 9/30-10/4 is a 4* in the Mag Mile-RN area w/Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Spa, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Wheelchair Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly. 

-- This listing hasn't been ID'd/reported, but my guess is that the Dana Hotel now falls under the Mag Mile-RN area. If you look at the detail page for this listing, there should be a Tripadvisor logo with 4.5/5 and 4.5/5 circles shaded.

Let me know if you have any questions (city or hotel) before booking. Also, you may see slightly different rates on Hot.wire.

Are there any hotels in the Mag Mile area 4* and up that you would not want to stay in? I've had good experiences bidding before and may try that again unless there are any very undesirable hotels in that zone. This will be our 1st time in Chicago and really the only thing we'd like for sure is a convenient location that's either walkable or public transient friendly. Our friends stayed in the Wyndham Grand, but the price isn't right for us. The location they said was great. 

The deals you posted earlier were from HOT.WIRE? I couldn't find them on PRICELINE.

I wouldn't be thrilled with the Allerton or the Whitehall, which are 4*'s in the zone and would be especially displeased if the price started to get $150 for those hotels. The Knickerbocker is fine. I think the Sheraton is okay. If it's January and I got the Allerton for $50-60, that's fine - at least it has a good location. If I bid $150+ and ended up with that, I would be not too happy.

I guess the best way to summarize my view is "...at what price?" Personally, if we're talking closer to $175-200, I'd rather PRICELINE EXPRESS or Hot.wire to have a better chance at getting something I think I'd like.

The deals I mentioned in the post for 9/30-10/4 in the post a couple of posts up earlier this morning are Hot.wire.

Please keep us updated with what you decide and let us know if you have any questions before booking.

I believe there are more amenities then what you have posted above as HOTWIRE has a new interface that does not show the complete set of amenities unless you click thru a few extra links.

If you repeat your search using our BiddingHelper.com tool... use the HOTWIRE EASY VIEW tab and then click the GREEN BUTTON next to this listing, do you see more amenities (including any accessible amenities) then what you have listed above?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I just copied and pasted from the Payment page and only shows this:

Magnificent Mile Area - River North area hotel

90%

1 Room, 2 Adults, 0 Children

Mon, Sep 28 - Fri, Oct 02

Free Internet, Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Spa services see less

This hotel's location earned it a 5/5 guest rating.

I'm not currently seeing this property offered when searching HOTWIRE for your dates... are you still seeing the above on your own search? If so, are you able to click-thru and get to the booking page again OR do you receive a message that the offer is no longer available?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

I don't see that hotel being available for those dates anymore. We are a bit flexible with our dates because my husband is taking the week off and we are just planning to be gone for 4 nights. Ideally M-F or T-S. Sorry for any confusion! I searched for 10/29-10/3 (T-S) and came up with this one. I don think it's the same as the one I was asking about previously. It's a 4* RN on Hot.wire with 90% and showing this:

Amenities

Boutique hotel

Smoke-free rooms

Fitness center

Restaurant(s)

Business center

Internet access

Accessibility Features

Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility

$219/night

For 9/29-10/3, if you click "book now", then "see all amenities", do you see:

Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Spa, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Wheelchair Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly

If you see that full set, this listing hasn't been ID'd/reported, but my guess is that the Dana Hotel has been moved from the Mag Mile N-WT zone to this zone and that that would be the potential match in this case.

If you can split between 9/29-10/1 and 10/1-3, the latter half is moderately cheaper and would likely result in a cheaper per night average but you'd have to switch hotels.

For example (there are other potential pairings):

9/29-10/1 only: 4.5* Loop $209 Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Spa, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly

-- Would likely be the Wyndham Grand Riverfront

10/1-10/3: 4* Mag Mile-RN $160 Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Blind Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower

-- Possible match for the Hotel Chicago. If so, that hotel is a few minutes walk from the Wyndham Grand.

So that would average about $185 per night versus about $220. You may see slightly different prices than I do when searching on Hot.wire.

Please keep us updated with what you decide and let us know if you have additional questions before booking.

• 5 months later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]