Hotwire Hotel: Help ID 5* Times Square Hotel

atkxny
By atkxny,
in

I am hoping to get assistance identifying a 5* Times Square - Theater District hotel at $384 for 10/7-10/10. There is no description of amenities, recommendation level or % savings.

The hotel list doesn't list any 5* hotels in the Times Square area and it doesn't appear that any of the 4.5* hotels on the hotel list were upgraded to 5* (unless Hotwire classifies hotels differently for purposes of Hot Rate v regular hotel prices).

It appears that the only 5* hotels in the area are the Chatwal or the Kickerbocker (and maybe the Sofitel since it is right on the border).

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

Unfortunately, without any amenities, tripadvisor ratings or other information, there's nothing to really go on in this case.

Please keep us updated with what you decide and let us know if you have additional questions.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Any sense of why Hotwire would not furnish any information for the hotel? Are they withholding information because it would be unfavorable to them (e.g., recommendation ratings are low)? Or might it be because it would be too easy to guess?

Also what is the likelihood that Hotwire has a hot rate for a hotel that is not included in its list of regular hotels?

This is generally seen (although there are exceptions) when a hotel is new to the service. There is definitely the possibility that a hotel can have inventory on the discount side of the service and not the regular rate side.

Thank you for keeping us updated with what you decide and let us know if you have additional questions.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please start by reading your messages (which will also remove the red box at the top of the page and make the board easier to navigate)

I'm very familiar with NYC... what are your needs for this trip?

Does the hotel need to be 5* rated and/or in the Times Square zone? What is your maximum budget per nite for this stay?

As an alternative, i'm seeing this 4.5 star Midtown West hotel (confirm your dates on the landing page) thru PRICELINE EXPRESS for $359/nite with Pets Allowed, Business Center, Fitness Center... best guess here would be The Royalton, should this be of any interest.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed (or how it goes if you take the PRICELINE EXPRESS offer above) and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the response!

I'm going with my wife and would ideally like someplace nice with some character. We used to live in the Time Square/Hell's Kitchen area so that area has some nostalgic appeal for my wife. However, many of the Times Square hotels are a little generic for the price. Consequently, I've been focusing on 5* properties in that zone with the hope that I would get a distinctive property. 

We'd also like to stay someplace central with reasonably good access to subways. The Royalton is a nice option (convenient with some character) that I will consider seriously. We'd also be willing to stay someplace like SoHo as long as the hotel is close to subways.

I've bid on Priceline (name your own price) up to $385 for a 5* in the Times Square area with no luck (they recently had a 7% off promotion).

I'm intrigued by the 5* in the Times Square zone on Hotwire. The only 5* hotels that are in that zone appear to be the Chatwal and Knickerbocker, both of which would be great (the Sofitel looks just outside the zone), but I worry that I would get something else (like a 4.5* that was recently upgraded). I don't care that much about particular amenities, so I'm almost willing to take the Hotwire deal just based on the star rating and location. However, I wish there was a recommendation rating just to make sure I wasn't going somewhere with bad service.

Anyways, any thoughts would be appreciated. Great site! 

Thanks for the compliments on the site. :)

Unfortunately HOTWIRE doesn't show any number of reviews nor any information from previous guests, so this would be a bit of a roll of the dice and putting your faith in the HOTWIRE star rating.

While not ideal, if you're looking to lessen the risk, since this a multi-nite stay you could see if this same property is offered for the first (or last) nite of your stay and then again for the balance. If so, you could purchase the solo nite in order to 'look behind the curtain'. If you're happy with the results purchase the remaining nites, if not, make alternate plans for the balance of your stay.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Let us know what you decide or how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Interesting idea. Great pro tip!

I'm actually thinking of shifting gears and looking at Soho/Tribeca. I think that we will get a more distinctive property (and more visibility on potential hotels) and it's actually more central to our planned itinerary. 

I have some more questions, but I'll post on the Priceline board since I'm looking at Priceline Express Deals now.

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread. Once you win a hotel, use the 'ADD REPLY and REPORT WIN' button on the lower right corner of the page to edit the topic title to reflect your win and to provide the details of your purchase. This helps keep the board better organized by reducing the number of unresolved threads that don't have any follow-up or conclusion.

Best guess for this PRICELINE EXPRESS offer would be the Nomo Soho.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]