Hotwire Hotel: 4* Chicago (Magnificent Mile Area - River North) Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection

SaturnMom
By SaturnMom,
in

Hi Aaron,

My husband and I will take the train to Chicago later this month.  I didn't know about the triathlon at Grant Park until I booked the train tickets. Since we will not have a car, and the price of the hotel stay is like triple on 9/19; I am wondering what the alternative is?

Can you suggest areas that can be reach by public transportation? I know it will be a headache to move from one hotel to the other, but if I can save $100-$150, I probably will do.

I am thinking to use Hotwire to book the first night hotel at O'Hare that provide free airport shuttle, then use Priceline to bid another two nights at the Loop or NMA? What do you think?

What is the different between O'Hare South and O'Hare North? Which zone should I use?

Thank you.

Honestly, staying out by ORD is something I'd try to avoid if possible. To come in on the train at Union, then have to sit on the "L" for an hour each way.

Usually I do suggest staying in the North burbs, which are really quite nice and have shopping, a lot of restaurants and some sights worth seeing, including the Chicago Botanic Garden (which will be gorgeous if Fall colors are starting by this point but that could very likely be more an early October thing.) The only problem with the North Burbs is that it's not walkable from a lot of hotels to the train stations to go downtown and not all hotels have shuttles so it's a real risk. Could you get a North suburban hotel and then call a cab? That's a possibility and it's really not a long trip from a train station to one of the suburban hotels, but it's just not walkable in many cases.

Please let me know your desired budget per night for this stay and then I'd be happy to research/outline options from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

I was lucky enough to stay at Hyatt Regency for $68/night multiple times, even in summer, and $90/night at Hilton, so my budget usually on the lower end. This time, I am willing to pay $400 for three night, $150 for the first night and $110 for the rest, plus taxes and fees? 

Do you think if I use "Name your own price" will save a few bucks compare to the Express Deal??

Thanks.

I was lucky enough to stay at Hyatt Regency for $68/night multiple times, even in summer, and $90/night at Hilton...

How recently... as prices such as these were quite common 3-5 years ago, rates have increased quite a bit over the last few years.

If SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID, and staying by the airport the first nite, i think your maximum bids for each leg of the trip are in the right ballpark, but will add that you're looking at about $100 total savings vs. staying a 4* Dowtnown hotel over the complete stay... does this make SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID worthwhile? (i think an easier decision if you were arriving at the Airport, but to arrive 'Downtown', then make your way to the airport and then back again to start enjoying the city, makes it a tougher decision as i think you would likely lose 3+ hours by the time you take the train to the airport --> wait for the shuttle to take you to your hotel --> check-in --> do the same in reverse... not to mention repeating the next day)

How early/late do you arrive in Chicago?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

SaturnMom-

I am going to be in Chicago on the same dates (moving my son to college).

I also didn't know about the triathlon so am experiencing the same problem you are!

I will tell you that I tried bidding on a 4 star and got up to $150 and was denied.

I also didn't realize all the fees they tack on, probably because I've never booked for so many nights before.  

But at the price of $150/night for 3 nights it was going to be almost $600 for the 3 nights.

Best of luck and I'll be watching what you do!

Hi,

I know this is the priceline forum, but could you please help me to identify a hotel at O'Hare Airport South? After I did my math, we can save $240 by staying the first night at the airport. It's ok, we are old people and don't party at night. We will take the "L" to the hotel after dinner.

Today, I saw a 4* hotel for $69 (9/19-9/20), with airport shuttle, fitness center, restaurant, business center and internet access, 80% recommended. There was a similar hotel for $78/night, but with 90% recommended.

Oops!! Right before I submit this reply, the Hotwire wanted me to refresh the screen and the deal are gone. The new one is $72, with airport shuttle, fitness center, restaurant, business center, internet access. 90% recommended.

Can you identify two hotel with same amenities but different Hotwire guess rating?

Thanks.

I believe there are more amenities then what you have posted above as HOTWIRE has a new interface that does not show the complete set of amenities unless you click thru a few extra links.

If you repeat your search using our BiddingHelper.com tool... use the HOTWIRE EASY VIEW tab and then click the GREEN BUTTON next to this listing, do you see more amenities (including any accessible amenities) then what you have listed above?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes, it show: FULL AMENITIES: Airport shuttle, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Wheelchair accessible. The $69 deal show up again, with 80% rating. But still, can't tell it is Hyatt Regency or Crowne Plaza, right? Actually, I am happy with either of them.

Thanks for showing me the new feature. I never use it before, and it is cool.

Let me throw out one other idea:

There is a 4* in the Northbrook-Glenview area for $72 w/Restaurant, Pool, Indoor Pool, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Golf, Free Parking, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Pet Friendly.

-- This listing has been seen with the Sheraton Northbrook previously. That property does have a shuttle - I haven't confirmed that but it does according to the website. IF this was in fact the Sheraton, you'd take the Metra to the North Glenview train station. The Sheraton is only a couple of minutes drive from there.

Positives: the train you would take here goes out of Union Station, which is where the Amtrak trains come in. The Metra trains are very nice - two levels, conductors and bathrooms. If you're going to have to sit on transit out of the city, it's a pleasant way to do so. If this is the Sheraton, it's at the end of a very nice mall that includes some solid restaurants and a Whole Foods is on the opposite end.

Negatives: While this amenity set has been seen with the Sheraton, there's always the chance it could be something else. That would result most likely in still having to take the same exact train but possibly calling a cab for a very short trip depending on which hotel.

------------------------------

The 4* ORD South has not yet been ID'd/reported; a new amenity set for the Hyatt or Crowne Plaza would be possibilities.

Please let me know if you have any questions before booking.

Of the Crowne Plaza and the Hyatt, the Crowne Plaza would be the more likely of the two... but as this would be a new amenity set for this property, it could also be some other 4* hotel that has not yet been reported to the board.

... AaronJB may be able to add some additional insight.

However, based upon your needs and a quick one nite stay (where you won't be at the hotel for very long) i suspect with the 4.0/5.0 TA rating it will at least suffice for your needs at this price.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Thank you for your help. I finally used Hotwire to book the hotels. It save me almost $250 just for the first night.

I used your HOTWIRE links to book two transactions.

9/19 one night.

4* Hilton Rosemont $69

Airport Shuttle

Business Center

Fitness Center

Indoor Pool

pet friendly

Pool

Restaurant (s)

Self-Service laundry

Somke-free rooms.

9/20-9/22 Two nights

4* Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autography Collection $100

Boutique hotel

Smoke free rooms

fitness center

restaurant

business center

internet access

accessible for visually impaired

accessible path of travel

in-room accessibility

accessible bathroom

access parking

roll-in shower

Congrats on your success. :)

$100 for this property is a terrific, terrific deal and hope you are looking forward to your stay. Please let me know if you have any area questions.

Also, it would be greatly appreciated if you could post your ORD stay as a separate thread.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]