Priceline Hotel: 5* San Francisco (SOMA - Moscone Center) Palace Hotel

Morphine10
By Morphine10,
in

Thanks for the forum and the bidding strategy guide, I've been doing something wrong so I thought I'd ask for help. I'm staying in San Fransisco for one night after a wine country tour and would like to stay at a 4.5*-5* hotel if possible for around $325ish, if not possible, I'd look at a 4* as well. I'll have a rental car from the Napa trip, so I know I'll be paying a large fee for Valet.... The area's I really would like are Union Square/Nob Hill, Fisherman's Wharf or Embarcadero but I'm open as I know that public transit in SFO is good and that I'm bidding on star ratings. I really want to avoid the Tenderloin and SOMA as I hear that they are not great area's. Here's what I've bid so far (and Lost)..... trying re-bidding (across zones) and just plain bidding. If I can get help with a re-bidding strategy, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Staying Oct.3rd for one night:

Union Sq.                                     FW                                            Embarcadero/Financial

4*      $210                                  3.5* $220                                     4.5*   $282

$220                                  4.5* $225                                               $283 (which was a "Recent Winning Bid on their website for that zone) RWB

$240                                          $235                                              $295

4.5*   $222                                 5*     $285                                              $300

$230  RWB                                $295                                        5*   $300

5*      $240                                          $300

$252

$260

Anyways.... I admit I need a better strategy to win and would appreciate the help of a tenured member. I'll contribute as I travel often and try to repay the favors with winning bids and strategys once I cut my teeth a bit more.

I assume your first objective is a 4.5* or 5* hotel in one of your three acceptable zones (and willing to pay more for a 5* vs. a 4.5*), then considering a 4* hotel if attempts at the previous two star ratings fail.

If the above is correct, you can try as follows:

When bidding 4.5* or 5* in the San Francisco area you have TEN re-bid zones... at the 4* level you have SEVEN re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 5* USE-Nob Hill and Fishermans Wharf...

Bid $200, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $225, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $240, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $250, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $260, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $265, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $275, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $280, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $285, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $290, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $295, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 5* USE-Nob Hill and Embarcadero...

Bid $200, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $225, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $240, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $250, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $260, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $265, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $275, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $280, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $285, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $290, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $295, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 5* USE-Nob Hill, Fishermans Wharf, Embarcadero...

Bid $300, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $303, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $305, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $308, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $310, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $313, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $315, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $318, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $320, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $323, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $325

If the above is rejected, close your current browser, once gain use this link to re-access PRICELINE, and try again at the 4.5* level. If this too fails post back and we'll revise for a 4* strategy (if you're ready to bid at this star level)

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

EDIT TO ADD: i will add to the above that i also see the 5 star Palace Hotel (confirm your dates on the landing page) offered for $300/nite. While this hotel is located in the South of Market - Moscone Center zone, it is in the northern edge of the zone and only a block or two from the USE-Nob Hill zone... so maybe this would work for your needs before bidding higher than $300/nite?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the bidding tactic and after reading a little more in the Priceline Re-Bidding thread (actually reading it again) I understand the strategy. I looked and the cheapest 5* in the city was the Palace Hotel for $300. I was half way through my first bidding series..... and bid $270 and my offer was accepted. Taxes and Fees added brings the price to $326.81.Basically it saved me $30 but that will cover most of the Valet, so I'm happy it worked out.

Thanks for the help!!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]