Priceline Hotel: NYC hotel: Aug 26 to Sept 1

goingsomewhere
By goingsomewhere,
in

I'd like a hotel in Manhatten, central-ish (so not Upper East Side/Upper West side areas). Budget is up to $120(exc tax) per night. I've seen Ramada Eastside for $120+tax (not through priceline/hotwire) and can't see anything obviously better on Hotwire or Priceline Express deals. If anyone can see better, though, let me know! Otherwise, would I have much chance of getting somewhere better through bidding?

... and please read your messages before replying (which will also remove the red box at the top of the page and make the board easier to navigate)

Also, while the reviews aren't too bad, note that PRICELINE rates the Ramada East Side as a 1* property, so make sure this property is acceptable and will meet your needs.

Near this same price point i'm seeing this 2* Lower East Side property (Pets Allowed, Free Breakfast, Free Internet) for $116/nite which i'm guessing is the Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge... and this 3* Times Square hotel (Free Internet, Business Center} for $119/nite for which my guess would be the Tryp Times Square, should either of these be of interest.

... or if you'd like to try bidding let us know your minimum star rating, desired zones (by PRICELINE name), and your maximum bid, we will then suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed, or how it goes if you take one of the offers above, and we will advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks! I've read my messages and will use those links.

Acceptable zones are:

Central park S

Chelsea

Downtown

Empire State

Hell's Kitchen

Lower East Side

Madison Square Garden

Midtown East

Midtown West

Soho

Time Square

Union Square

Budget is $120/night. I'd like a 4*, but don't think I'd get that for the price? I'd be happy with a well-rated 2/3*, but the worry with bidding is getting a really badly rated one. Is there any way around this (in terms of choice of area to bid in, etc)?

I've got a cancellable place reserved, so if bidding doesn't get me a room in a hurry that's no big deal (though I'm ready to book now)

I put some optimistic bids in the hope of getting a 4* for under $120/night (CA/ESB/MW/TS) and was rejected. I then got an e-mail from Price.line saying people had got similar 4* dates in the Downtown district for under $130. Tempted to try in this district. Any comments on the area? I'm visiting as a tourist...I gather it's a bit dead in the evening/weekend, but doesn't look terribly far from LES and other places.

From a tourist perspective, I'd personally recommend staying in Midtown - ESB and MTE are areas I'd look at if I was going to NYC tomorrow. If you're going to be spending a lot of time in Midtown, there's time and cost to consider in terms of going back-and-forth.

The Price.line price emails are not necessarily for your dates, they are general recent wins.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Downtown is do-able for the right price... but you're looking at 25-35 minutes to midtown via subway (if that is where most of your time will be spent).

It comes down to what is more important to you for this stay: budget, convenience, and hotel quality.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread. Once you win a hotel, use the 'ADD REPLY and REPORT WIN' button on the lower right corner of the page to edit the topic title to reflect your win and to provide the details of your purchase. This helps keep the board better organized by reducing the number of unresolved threads that don't have any follow-up or conclusion.

Please post the amenities that PRICELINE EXPRESS associates with this property and we will have a look.

Please also use the requested PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board for your purchases... and your searches too!

Thanks.

Thanks - that's really useful. Looks like an OK hotel, but by the time fees are added in not a marvellous deal compared to prices elsewhere.

I think I may be going with my more basic/cheaper cancellable accommodation this trip, then - I had much better luck with priceline/hotwire last time I was in the US... On the positive side, I'll be in NYC :D

Where, and how much, is your back-up? Is it the 1* Ramada Eastside at $120 that you're trying to beat?

PRICELINE EXPRESS has a 4* hotel for $126/nite and/or a 4* in the MSG zone for $133/nite.

While these my cost a little more than your $120/nite back-up, an extra $10-$20/nite may be a better value based upon the substantially higher star rating.

You can also use our sister site RefundableRates.com for your future back-up reservations.

Thanks. I've got a room in the Jane which comes in at about $100/night inc all tax etc. Notably more basic, but a fair price difference, too.

Appreciate the link that that TS room (don't think it was there when I searched last night, or I missed it when I did...) That is tempting - about $50/night more after tax but, as you say, a much higher * rating. Any guesses as to which that might be would be welcome.

I'm not 100% certain, but i think the 4* Times Square hotel might be the Hotel Mela Times Square, and that would be my best guess for this one.

Let us know what you ultimatley decide or how we can be of further help.

If you're looking for the lowest price at an acceptable hotel then the Washington Jefferson should be fine, but personally in NYC i prefer higher rated hotels and some of your options provide a better value (although at a slightly higher cost).

If you didn't please use our Hotels.com link (thru our Support Page or using MAPS and HOTELS.com) for your regular rate purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]