Hotwire Hotel: Santa Barbara Bid Help

rcastel2
By rcastel2,
in

I believe there are additional amenities associated with the hotel that you won in Las Vegas... can you please add an additional reply to that thread confirming any additional amenities (including any 'accessible' amenities). How to still view the complete amenity set is given in our reply to your previous thread.

For your Santa Barbara trip above, it looks like something is happening in town over these dates (do you know of an event taking place here on this nite?) as rates are very high (this area is usually expensive, but they are even more expensive then usual for this nite) and at current rates i'm doubtful that $150 will be nearly enough for a hotel.

Is this an optional trip OR do you need a room in this area regardless how much it ultimately costs? (or at some price would you look at a nearby, less expensive, zone)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

...I could travel within the area for around $150?

At current prices, a 3* in Santa Monica for less than $150 does not seem likely... but you could get a 3* nearby in Culver City, should that be of any interest.

Using our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com what is the best rate you're able to find at an acceptable property for this nite?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

What was the 3* property?

If you bid on PRICELINE you may, or may not, receive this hotel... when bidding on PRICELINE there is no information given regarding the specific hotel that you would be bidding on, so you need to be willing to accept any hotel in the zone at the star rating (or higher) that you choose.

Given the 3* offered at $289/nite... how high would you be willing bid for a 3* property? (ie- how much of a discount you would need to make an 'opaque' purchase worthwhile)

Keep in mind, as per above, then when bidding on PRICELINE you may receive a different 3* hotel then the Presidio Motel. With this noted, i will add that i think a win at $175 or less is very unlikely...

When hotel demand (and prices) increase there is more profit margin for the hotel, so while there is more room for the hotel to discount in this situation, they are less likely to do so since the hotel is nearly full and they prefer to try to sell any remaining rooms at full price rather than offer a deep discount (so any discount that is available may be less then we typically see on PRICELINE during more 'normal' demand times)

Now that PRICELINE allows bidding every 2 hours, i would try: $150, $160, $170, $175... waiting 2 hours between each bid (as there are no re-bid zones available at the 3* level in this area)

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

OK, that might be a cheaper option for you.

Please continue to post in this thread and we'll edit this to the proper section in the end.

Are you going to take the PRICELINE or HOTWIRE route?

Have you thought of any zone(s) you would like to stay in?

Let us know how we can help you with your new destination.

Yellowdog.

I was thinking of taking the Hot.wire route unless I could get a cheaper hotel on Price.line.

Was looking yesterday on Hotwire at 4* Mid-Wilshire USC and Downtown LA area for around $150 (excluding taxes).

I'm looking for either 4* Mid-Wilshire/USC, Downtown LA, Hollywood for around $150 (excluding taxes and fees).

Is the Mid-Wilshire USC hotel called the line hotel? If that is the case, I am not a fan of the concrete walls.

Do you know what I will get?

I was thinking of taking the HOTWIRE route unless I could get a cheaper hotel on PRICELINE.

So why not first try bidding on PRICELINE up to whatever limit is that you intend to try... then if rejected we can have a look at the HOTWIRE offers? (as if you intend to first try bidding on PRICELINE, the hotels currently available on HOTWIRE may not be the ones offered once you're ready to go that route (or the prices may have changed and be substantially different))

If you'd like help with a bidding strategy for you PRICELINE please confirm your maximum bid ($150/nite??) for a 4* hotel in the zones above and we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Also, note that The Line hotel is currently 3* rated by PRICELINE, so that should not be an option when bidding 4* in the zones above.

Was looking yesterday on Hotwire at 4* Mid-Wilshire USC and Downtown LA area for around $150 (excluding taxes).

Is the Mid-Wilshire USC hotel called the line hotel? If that is the case, I am not a fan of the concrete walls.

If this is a HOTWIRE property please include the full amenity set that is associated with this property and we will have a look, but as per above, if your intention is to first try bidding on PRICELINE then we should probably go that route first, since this may not be the same offer/price once you've completed your bidding and would consider using HOTWIRE.

OK sure I can bid on Priceline. 

Looking at the hotel lists for Priceline, I like the following and would like to bid at $150 (excluding taxes and fees):

I want to be somewhat close to the Grove in LA and Hollywood so are these two areas the best for that?

3.5* Hollywood area looks like the moment hotel?

4* Hollywood area

3* Miracle Mile area

We can change this topic to be Hollywood area hotel then if you want.

Thanks,

When bidding on PRICELINE you're not bidding on a specific hotel, so you need to be willing to accept any hotel in the zone at the star rating (or higher) that you choose.

I want to be somewhat close to the Grove in LA and Hollywood so are these two areas the best for that?

4* Hollywood area

3* Miracle Mile area

Some of the Miracle Mile zone goes quite a bit south... would a hotel in the south part of this zone be acceptable?

To me it looks like West Hollywood is the closest, then Beverly Hills may be your next closest (although the northwest part of this zone may also get you further from The Grove then what you consider to be ideal)

Looking at the hotel lists for Priceline, I like the following and would like to bid at $150 (excluding taxes and fees)

Unfortunately if looking at West Hollywood, Miracle Mile, and/or Beverly Hills, then a 3* at $150 or less in any of these zones may be out of reach at the moment. You can certainly try, but at current rates i think you're more likely looking at closer to $200 then you are $150.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we will take it from there.

Well I have never been to the Grove so I actually don't know where it is but I did a zipcode search on Maps and Hotels.com and saw the following. I know the Grove is in the Fairfax district and I thought it was in Mid-Wilshire area.

These hotels look pretty nice.

2.5* Wilshire Crest Hotel Los Angeles $169 More info
3* Ramada Plaza West Hollywood Hotel And Suites $209 More info
3* Oxford Palace Hotel $154 More info
4* Hollywood Apartments $197 More info
3* Jj Grand Hotel $140 More info
2.5* Tilt Hotel, An Ascend Hotel Collection Member $190 More info

However, I don't want to pay those prices. I went to the Tilt Hotel website and their advance rate is $160 which seems pretty good in budget.

You can't pick the hotels you want to bid on... you would need to be able to accept any hotel in the zone(s) that you choose at the star rating (or higher).

If you let us know the minimum star rating you're willing to accept, and the zone(s) you would like to bid, we can suggest a strategy for you to follow... would we then use $140 as a maximum bid since anything above that would make this hotel your best deal for these dates? Or why not just take the JJ Grand if you think it works for your needs and is within your budget?

Yes I understand that I don't pick and choose but I was trying to see what the star rating and the name of the hotels were.

What about bidding in West Hollywood for a 3* knowing that the Ramada is at 209.

What can I get it for?

You can't pick the hotels you want to bid on... you would need to be able to acceptany hotel in the zone(s) that you choose at the star rating (or higher). There is no strategy for the Ramada if it is $209 as you cannot guarantee which hotel you may get if you bid 3* and you don't know which hotels may have discounted inventory available for your dates.

You have to be willing to accept any hotel at the star rating in the zone picked. You can see the list of hotels reported to the board here: Priceline Hotel List California.

If you are interested in getting a particular hotel I'd go with HOTWIRE or PRICELINE EXPRESS

Glad to see you found something that works for your needs and you're happy with the outcome.

Thank you for closing this thread with your decision.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]