Hotwire/Priceline Fraud Department - Blackhole?

drains44
By drains44,
in

A few months ago, I was trying to book a hotel room for my wife.  We had some flexibility, so I was trying several different options on both Hotwire and Priceline.  To hopefully not make this post too long (it took several calls for customer service to finally figure out that it was not my bank or credit card putting a hold on anything), the short version is that I was for some reason sent over to their fraud department and have not been able to use either website since to book anything.  I have contacted their customer support line, but they have not been very helpful.  They cannot tell me why I was sent to the fraud department - they merely give me the phone number to call the fraud department separately.  The problem is that the fraud department apparently never answers the phone.  I have left multiple voicemails very clearly saying my name, the reason why I was calling, and my contact information.  No response at all.  I have emailed and called general customer service to ask for their help, but they insist there is nothing they can do from their end, they cannot connect me to the fraud department, and they cannot escalate my concern because it has nothing to do with booking a specific trip (which sounds ridiculous because there have been at least five hotel stays in the last couple of months where I would have used them - at least five specific trips as I see it).

Has anyone encountered any problems like this?  Any tips on getting through to the fraud department?  Typically, when I travel for personal reasons I have a great deal of flexibility and have had a lot of success saving with both Hotwire and Priceline in the past.  In fact, for each of these five hotel stays I mentioned, I saw that I could have saved quite a bit through Hotwire for same city/star level.  I would hate to permanently be barred from using them, but that is what it is starting to feel like.  Would really be grateful for any help or suggestions as I have another trip coming up soon.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Have you tried using a different credit card or credit card that your wife has... if that is unsuccessful then also varying the name on your reservation slightly (ie- if your official name is 'James' try 'Jim'... and a similar variation to your billing address, if possible (ie- Street instead of St. (or vice versa)).

What about using the PayPal check-out feature (if offered)?

We looking forward to hearing about, and helping with, your future PRICELINE (and hopefully HOTWIRE too) purchases.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the response, thereuare.  I have tried using different email addresses and different personal credit cards - all have failed.  I have not yet tried my wife's credit cards, but that is a good idea.  Had not even thought about Paypal, but will look into that. 

I am curious why Hotwire/Priceline would just neglect a customer like this, though.  I have run into frustrating situations with customer service elsewhere, but here it feels like they are pushing me into a blackhole and nobody there cares. 

I can only guess that it's an understaffed department (could even be a department of 1 or 2) and they simply can't handle the number of accounts that get flagged by their system... it comes down to cost of hiring more works vs. losing a few potential customers.

Now that you've joined the board please share your future PRICELINE / HOTWIRE wins (or PRICELINE EXPRESS offers a similar service if you're unable to resolve the HW issue) and let us know if we can be of any help.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]