Priceline Hotel: 5* San Francisco (Financial District-Embarcadero) Loews Regency San Francisco Hotel

Gatormantann
By Gatormantann,
in

I used to be quite adept at the Priceline thing but haven't traveled as much the past few years. I am headed to San Francisco in a couple of weeks and need a room for the night of 7/25/15. Now, I would like a 4.5 star but I know that Taj is just beyond reason so I am focused on the Omni (Financial District) and the Intercontinental (SOMA - Mosc Ctr). Now, I would generally just select 4.5 and one of the two districts and start a low ball bid. Then, if rejected, I would add the other district and then keep going up $5 or $10 per bid adding districts without any 4.5 star hotels until I got a hit or ran out. So 2 questions?

Is this still an effective strategy?

and

Why does the Priceline Express Deals show two hotels with 5 stars but the gig does not show any?

Thanks and glad to be back.

Welcome back :)

Yes, re-bidding is still an effective strategy (see Priceline Re-Bidding Explained).

The bidding side of PRICELINE does allow 5* bidding in the Financial District and the SOMA zones... where is it that you're not seeing any 5 star hotels, on the 'retail' side of PRICELINE? If so, the bidding side of PRICELINE, the PRICELINE EXPRESS side, and the 'retail' side all use a different universe of hotels, so it's not that uncommon to see a star rating offered thru one side of their service but not offered on another side of their service.

If you let us know your maximum bid for a 4.5* property will will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

When bidding 4.5* in San Francisco you have NINE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

(NOTE: 're-bid zone1' is not the same as priceline's Zone1, 're-bid zone2' is not the same as priceline's Zone2, etc, etc)

Select 4.5* SOMA and Financial...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $200, if rejected add re-bid zone4...

Bid $205, if rejected add re-bid zone5...

Bid $210, if rejected add re-bid zone6...

Bid $215, if rejected add re-bid zone7...

Bid $220, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4.5* SOMA and Financial and re-bid zone8...

Bid $225, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $230, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $235, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $240, if rejected add re-bid zone4...

Bid $245, if rejected add re-bid zone5...

Bid $250, if rejected add re-bid zone6...

Bid $255, if rejected add re-bid zone7...

Bid $260, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4.5* SOMA and Financial and re-bid zone9...

Bid $263, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $265, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $268, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $270, if rejected add re-bid zone4...

Bid $273, if rejected add re-bid zone5...

Bid $275, if rejected add re-bid zone6...

Bid $278, if rejected add re-bid zone7...

Bid $280, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4.5* SOMA and Financial and re-bid zone8 and re-bid zone9...

Bid $283, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $285, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $288, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $290, if rejected add re-bid zone4...

Bid $293, if rejected add re-bid zone5...

Bid $295, if rejected add re-bid zone6...

Bid $298, if rejected add re-bid zone7...

Bid $300

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I did something wrong here. I did these steps:

Select 4.5* SOMA and Financial...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $200, if rejected add re-bid zone4...

Bid $205, if rejected add re-bid zone5...

Bid $210, if rejected add re-bid zone6...

Bid $215, if rejected add re-bid zone7...

Bid $220, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4.5* SOMA and Financial and re-bid zone8...

Bid $225, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $230, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $235, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $240, if rejected add re-bid zone4...

Bid $245, if rejected add re-bid zone5...

Bid $250, if rejected add re-bid zone6...

Bid $255, if rejected add re-bid zone7...

Bid $260, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

However, I was rejected on the last step but when I went to the next link I got this message:

We were not able to process this request since our records indicate you have already made a request for this same trip. Your credit card has not been charged for Request Number ###-###-###-##.

Now, I am not sure I understood the "re-bid" zone completely. I knew that zones 2,3,9, and 12 had 4.5 star hotels, so I think I bid through each remaining zone (1,4,5,6,7,8,10,11,13). I think that is where I went wrong. Is this what It should look like:

Select 4.5* SOMA and Financial... (PL Zones 2 and 9)

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone1...(PL Zone 1)

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone2...(PL Zone 4)

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone3...(PL Zone 5)

Bid $200, if rejected add re-bid zone4...(PL Zone 6)

Bid $205, if rejected add re-bid zone5...(PL Zone 7)

Bid $210, if rejected add re-bid zone6...(PL Zone 8)

Bid $215, if rejected add re-bid zone7...(PL Zone 10)

Bid $220, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICE.LINE...

Select 4.5* SOMA and Financial and re-bid zone8...(PL Zones 2,9,11)

Bid $225, if rejected add re-bid zone1...(PL Zone 1)

Bid $230, if rejected add re-bid zone2...(PL Zone 4)

Bid $235, if rejected add re-bid zone3...(PL Zone 5)

Bid $240, if rejected add re-bid zone4...(PL Zone 6)

Bid $245, if rejected add re-bid zone5...(PL Zone 7)

Bid $250, if rejected add re-bid zone6...(PL Zone 8)

Bid $255, if rejected add re-bid zone7...(PL Zone 10)

Bid $260, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICE.LINE...

And so on or am I missing the boat completely?

Thanks.

You have the right approach... is it possible that you mistakenly added a different re-bid zone zone then you have listed above (or didn't select a new re-bid zone when re-submitting the bid)?

I would try again, paying particular attention to the zones added at each step, and see if all goes thru this time around.

Also, if you're not aware, the lock-out period is now 2 hours (previously it was 24 hours), so should you get a duplicate bid message you can try again in 2+ hours from the timestamp of your last bid.

Good luck!

At current rates i think you're going to need to be more in the $375 area to be successful for a 4.5* property in one of these two zones.

PRICELINE EXPRESS does have this 4* SOMA-Mocsone hotel for $337:

Business Center

Restaurant

Indoor or Outdoor Pool

Fitness Center

... my guess here would be the Palace Hotel, should this be of any interest.

HOTWIRE has what appears to be the Park Central Premier San Francisco for $305 if this would work for your needs.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know if any interest in the above or how we can be of further help.

Not a great deal but I have been bidding for days! I had gotten up to $375 on my last round with no win so today I was willing to go to $425. I started at $350 and on my very first bid, I got the "one-time opportunity" to re-bid right now without changing anything else. I had to raise my bid to $419. In my past experience, this always means a win on your next bid. We won the 5* Loews. Granted, I did not save as much as usual but I have been going after it hard for days. Just glad to be through. My focus from the start was a 4.5* or higher in either SOMA - Moscone, Financial District - Embarcadero, Fisherman's Wharf or Union Square East Nob Hill. So, for perspective, I got 1 hotel lever higher in an area I wanted, I just did not save as much as I hope. I will call it a win. 

Congrats on your success. :)

Not a bad deal for this property and glad you are satisfied with the win. If you do get a counter-offer, the price required for acceptance is somewhere between the counter-offer price and the last failed bid.  Thank you for letting us know about this new Price.line property so that we can update the site's Priceline Hotel List.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

No problem and FYI, the reason for this high bid point was, as I discovered when I got to SF, the San Francisco Marathon was being held Sunday the 26th. Every hotel in town was booked and at peak prices, but let me tell you this is a phenomenal property and we were thrilled with our room.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]