Priceline Hotel: 4.5* New York City (Midtown East) Hyatt 48 Lex

Housenosis
By Housenosis,
in

I'm doing a last minute, 10th Anniversary trip. Flying in to LaGuardia.

We plan to spend a day or so each near WTC/Ellis Island, Central Park/Met Museum, Midtown/Times Square.

I'm looking for good transit access, and would not mind staying a bit outside of the biggest tourist areas. Maybe Union Square/East Village, Empire State Building, Central Park South, Upper East Side, or even the Financial district.

I think I want 3.5* or higher and under $200/night. I'm willing to pay a little more for a substantially better experience.

Any suggestion on location/zone and how much to bid would be appreciated.

I'm open to using PriceLine or Hotwire and will make sure to use the link.

Thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

HOTWIRE has a 4* hotel in the Midtown East zone for $147/nite (your price may differ by a few dollars) with:

Free Internet

Hi-Speed Internet

Room Accessible

Wheelchair Accessible

Bathroom Accessible

Roll-in Shower

... best guess here would be the Hyatt 48 Lex (and should it ultimately be something else, this property also shows an excellent 4.5/5.0 TA rating, so it should still be a very nice experience)

I think this offers the best bang for your buck... thoughts on this one?

If you want to stay downtown (i think the midtown east above is a better location) there is also the W New York Downtown for $170/nite, but of the two i would sooner go with the MTE property above.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Let us know if you go for the one above OR how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I tried booking several times via Hotwire, based on your recomendation. The price listed was $148-$151/night and I attempted from home, work, and via my cell phone. Every time I got the following message:

"We're sorry, but we are experiencing system difficulties and are temporarily unable to complete your purchase. Your card has not been charged. To complete this purchase, please click "back" on your browser and try to book again. Or contact a Hotwire Customer Care Associate to continue this purchase. Please note the price is not guaranteed until the purchase is complete."

I decided to try priceline. My first attempt was Midtown East, 4 stars, $140/night+tax and fees. It was rejected and they gave a "counter offer" of $161.

I added the Union Square zone and offered $145/night. This was accepted for the Hyatt 48 Lex. Total cost with taxes and fees is 720.88.

Awesome!

This was my first hotel bid experiance and I'm a little unsure of what to do next. Should I call the hotel directly to try and get a Queen or King room assigned? Should I do that right away, wait a day for the reservation to process, or is it best to hold off until a day or two before check in? Any other tips?

Thanks again for the help!

Congrats on your success. :)

VERY nicely done! Glad you are pleased with the result and were able to get a great deal at this newer Hyatt.

Discount rate rooms are for basic/non-upgraded rooms. Hyatt I believe still has their Price.line email - [email protected] where you can make requests - but given the time frame and the nature of the stay, I'd try calling the hotel and seeing if you can negotiate something. The hotel can say no (and there's definitely a higher risk of that in NYC), but it's worth a try. I'd wait a few hours - maybe try later today or early tomorrow.

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

Thanks. I did use the links, but forgot to mention it.

I'll give them a call tomorrow. That should also give my new Hyatt Gold Passport account time to process through the system. I'll probably start by asking about airport transport options, then casually mention the 10th wedding anniversary, and finally, beg for mercy.

"I know I'm not entitled to make special requests because I booked via priceline, but I'm wondering if you would add a preference for a Queen or King room to my reservation."

I'll follow up the day before we arrive and ask about early check-in.

Thanks again!

Request sounds perfect.

The smallest rooms at this property are queens, but at around 300-325 (benefit of a newer property) sq ft, that's actually quite spacious for an NYC room. King rooms are a tiny bit bigger. Definitely call and mention the occasion and say that you'd appreciate anything they can do in terms of room assignment. See what they say first and then negotiate from there if need be. You may not get rewards points in terms of Hyatt Gold and a discount reservation (this varies from hotel-to-hotel),but hopefully it will help in your favor in terms of the room selection.

Best of luck and hope you have a wonderful anniversary in NYC. :)

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]